Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2019, 12:32   #1

A cautionary tale to those looking at boats to buy

My personal experience with large sailboats is very limited, I haven't bought my first one yet. I've looked at lots. But I have been helping a very good friend with a substantial refit on an older 42ft ketch. Probably a budget boat back then, but regardless, I'd caution anyone looking at a boat to be extraordinaly careful, maybe be even paranoid of leaks from above decks. Leaks from below get fixed but from above, maybe not.

The boat surveyed well and the engine and rigging are solid, but it leaks from everywhere topsides. Small leaks from stantion bases, poorly bedded handrails, splits in wood toerails, bulwark drains and portlights have caused rot in the most insideous places.

All looked well when covered by cabin cushions, galley cookware, books on shelves etc. But please do yourself a favor and dig into every cabinet and locker, look at every shelf and nook and cranny. The amount of man hours we have into fixing all this stuff is mind boggling.
Near2KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 12:48   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: A cautionary tale to those looking at boats to buy

This is very common. The number of boats I know that have hardware rebedded I can count on one hand. That includes mine.

Rebedding is work but doesn’t require much skill. Repairing damaged interior wood may be impossible. In most cases the decks are saturated and rotted, so even if you rebed the problem remains.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat