Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2022, 05:27   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: A Better Brokerage Model

In general brokers will send you the listing information. If there is a very specific question that will have to be relayed to the owner and that can take time
Old 23-06-2022, 10:13   #17

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I used sailboatlistings.com as my FSBO site. I sold a 1990 Beneteau 285 first in great condition, It worked very well for me, it was a cash sale, very simple. I had no problems with prospective buyers, it was about 20 viewing groups and it took 5 winter months. I walked the vessel with the surveyor to answer any questions he had. I put my Current vessel up in the fall, I received asking price a month ago. I turned it down and took the vessel off the market. Could not sell it, not done sailing yet. Not really sure what needs to be done for such a heavy commission 10% on a 180k vessel. You give me a check I give you the tittle signed, I take a picture, maybe I give you a signature on a DMV affidavit good to go no?
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 10:46   #18

I think brokers are more useful if you are buying and looking to cast a wide net.

I’m looking for my next vessel and open (rather excited) to travel to see vessels.

I’m making short family trips to see 4-8 vessels in any given area.

I would not want to be the one lining up all the vessel visits.

A good broker will also keep me safe when the transaction finally happens. Might be false thinking.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 17:26   #19
Nearly an old salt

A good broker backed by certification by a reliable industry body will typically have a predetermined sales process.

1.sending information
2. Arranging viewing
3. Brokering the price negotiations
4. Holding a refundable booking deposit
5. Providing a industry body standard purchase and sale agreement
6. Facilitating the survey
7. Facilitating the sea trial
8. Final negotiations and providing all documents needed
9. Transferring money to its client account
10. Settling with the seller

In my experience a good broker will have contacts in nearby yards to facilitate lift outs , will arrange for delivery skippers to oversea sea trails if owner isn’t available , will provide a list of locally accessible surveyors and will run around collecting you from airports and hotels etc. You often end up building a serious relationship with some of them and go on to sell the boat through them etc

A broker is not acting solely on behalf of the seller , his or her job is facilitate a sale between the seller ( the owner ) and the purchaser. He’s as much interested in ensuring you’re happy as the seller is.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:01   #20

I have had good luck with Craigslist.

Sold my Catalina 270 in 1 week. Though a good market.Knowledgeable seller closed deal in 2 hours, paid cash. No survey etc.

Sold 25’ Lancer in poorer market, about 4 weeks till sold.

Purchased 2003 Catalina Mark ll. Closed sale in a week. Used a marine escrow to close the deal as the seller had a loan to pay off which took a couple of extra weeks of time and paperwork.

I don’t see a reason to use a broker unless it is a hard to sell type of boat. Broader coverage.
I guess another reason is if the seller has something's to hide.
I’ve ran in to a few of those.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:18   #21

Boat: Moody 41AC

There are a number of good brokers here in UK but like good agents to sell your real property in UK or say Spain you have to research and ideally speak to others who have sold and ideally bought through that broker -so do your due diligence on your broker.
So let’s assume I’m selling my 41foot boat how would I go about it:-
1 in present market there is a shortage of stock to sell so pretty looking boat,no junk below,unwashed dishes ,grimy engine area, etc are key to showing broker you are serious caring owner trying to sell and will his job simples;
2 use a broker who sells your brand -he will ideally have a list of people he might know looking for your make and who are in a position to move or have an attractive related boat sale;
3meet the broker and see how he comes across -ideally in a social situation -a casual conversation in a bar that you are thinking of selling might elicit useful info -is he interested in taking on your vessel and prepared to give initial thoughts-brokers have a cartel of private websites listing sale prices achieved;
4 look for brokers who participate in online fora-in uk we have for example Jonic who posts on YBW ;
5 appreciate that while the percentage is high by uk real property standards it’s not by rates charged in say Spain - also the values are much lower hence percentages based on low value;
6 put your vessel where people want to view and where prices stronger -there seem to be loads of unloved ex charter boats in med but rarity of decent yachts in uk currently;
7 price realistically and take the brokers advice on offers-some people are time wasters and they see these types all the time ,unless of course your profession is dealing in used cars etc.
8 be patient-don’t sell under pressure to secure your next boat ideally;

If you have a nearly new boat though in present market it should be simple to sell though -if you have units of time on your hands to fill you might DIY but most don’t sadly.
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:34   #22
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher34 View Post
There are a number of good brokers here in UK but like good agents to sell your real property in UK or say Spain you have to research and ideally speak to others who have sold and ideally bought through that broker -so do your due diligence on your broker.

So let’s assume I’m selling my 41foot boat how would I go about it:-

1 in present market there is a shortage of stock to sell so pretty looking boat,no junk below,unwashed dishes ,grimy engine area, etc are key to showing broker you are serious caring owner trying to sell and will his job simples;

2 use a broker who sells your brand -he will ideally have a list of people he might know looking for your make and who are in a position to move or have an attractive related boat sale;

3meet the broker and see how he comes across -ideally in a social situation -a casual conversation in a bar that you are thinking of selling might elicit useful info -is he interested in taking on your vessel and prepared to give initial thoughts-brokers have a cartel of private websites listing sale prices achieved;

4 look for brokers who participate in online fora-in uk we have for example Jonic who posts on YBW ;

5 appreciate that while the percentage is high by uk real property standards it’s not by rates charged in say Spain - also the values are much lower hence percentages based on low value;

6 put your vessel where people want to view and where prices stronger -there seem to be loads of unloved ex charter boats in med but rarity of decent yachts in uk currently;

7 price realistically and take the brokers advice on offers-some people are time wasters and they see these types all the time ,unless of course your profession is dealing in used cars etc.

8 be patient-don’t sell under pressure to secure your next boat ideally;

If you have a nearly new boat though in present market it should be simple to sell though -if you have units of time on your hands to fill you might DIY but most don’t sadly.

I don’t know how you base your view that there are “ loads of unloved ex-charter boats in the med “. Firstly in Greece the charter market is completely oversubscribed and the last thing they want is to let anything go. Secondly anything half decent ex charter or not had been sold !
Old 02-07-2022, 03:39   #23

Boat: Moody 41AC

‘Unloved” was a key word -I’m sure nearly new ones are fine but I was thinking more of ancient Westerly and Moodies left to rot by absentee owners to whom age has not been kind either to boat or owner.
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:26   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher34 View Post
‘Unloved” was a key word -I’m sure nearly new ones are fine but I was thinking more of ancient Westerly and Moodies left to rot by absentee owners to whom age has not been kind either to boat or owner.

A few yes , but most are effectively unsellable

Tags
broker, model