Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2018, 13:50   #61

Re: A beginner, a build and rig questions

So got some prices today from a couple of the guys, although one asks which species I need... I was going to say pine then thought... best ask on here first so I need to email him.

In my plans it says pine, which I think should be fine, but what do you guys think? Any other species or specific type of pine?
ryanshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 14:25   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I've build many boats in different materials in my life. Both solo and as a part of a crew. If building is to save cost, you'll actually spend more than buying one. My advice is if money is part of the reasoning, find a used one similar to what you want. You can be using it this weekend.
Even a small boat can take weeks to build. They all require some special tools and skills.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 18:24   #63

Hello again, Ryan:

Here is a nifty site that will answer many of your questions about wood species. "Many are called, but few are chosen" :-)

The Wood Database

Pine can be many things, and one must always be aware of the fact that "marketers" take all kinds of liberties with truth - you will find at your timber merchant's that what is called "mahogany" may be all kinds of things other than “real” mahogany, most probably Lauan. “Lauan” is the common name of the many different woods of the Shorea species that grown in the Far East. They are a very, very different wood from "Cuba Mahogany" (scientific name: Swietenia mahogani) that grows in the Caribbean and Central America. Lauan is a fairly coarse construction timber. Cuba Mahogany is a lovely wood for furniture building. I say this just to point out that YOU must know what you are doing when you go to the timber merchant's, for the "sales representative" most likely hasn't a clue :-)!

Now, back to earth: This first project of yours is for learning, and you are not building for the ages. So take with a grain of salt what you will be told by members of this forum - including me ;-)! Do your homework! IMO you can use "useless" wood for this project, since it will be dry-sailed and doesn't have to last for years and years. Longevity is not the objective. Such things as teak (Techtona grandis) and Western Red Cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis) are not required at all for a project such as yours. So save your money, whatever people may tell you :-). In any event you won't find such things at your local timber merchants.

As you will see from the link I gave you above, “pine” can many things, but what your timber merchant calls “pine” is most likely Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris = “Forest Pine”) because P sylvestris is extensively grown in plantations all over Europe. It is the common building timber for houses, and IMO that will be just fine for your present purpose.

Here in Canada the native species are quite different from those in Europe, incl. the UK. “S-F-H” (spruce-fir-hemlock) is what we use for house construction, and any of those species will be fine for a project such as yours. So let's talk prices: Timber is priced by the “BOARD foot” when you are talking serious purchases. When you are buying “small stuff”, or small quantities, the various dimensions (e.g. 1x3) are usually priced by the LINEAR foot. So what's the difference?

A “Board Foot” is defined as a piece of “board” 12” long, 12” wide and 1” thick, i.e. 1/12 of a cubic foot or 144 cubic inches. Thus a 2x4 18” long is 1BF, and a 1x6 2 feet long is also 1BF. [check my math :-)!] A 2x10 10 feet long, which is what I recommended you should buy and then rip to dimension (“re-saw”) on your friends table saw, will be (2x10x120)/144 = 16 2/3 board feet. But it will be sold by the “piece” if you only buy one or two. Today, I would be paying Can$12.72 for such a “stick”. That equates to £7.18, so in round terms you can expect to pay 7.18/16.67 = appr. 45p per linear foot of 2x10. Probably somewhat more in Scotland. I've been away from Europe so long that I don't have conversion to metric right off the top of my head, so you'll have to do that yourself :-)

For the carlins and other bits'n'pieces 1x2 will do the trick. Unprimed moulding will do, provided it is not finger-jointed. The chines require a bit of beveling so you need to start with wider stock, say a 3” piece cut off the 2x10 and then trimmed to appropriate thickness. However, the chines are “edge-set” as well as bent, meaning that they are bent in both directions, so they are going to be the most difficult part of the whole project. It's difficult to explain this in words, so I will make a sketch in the next day or two to explain to you how I would go about it.

The alternative is to modify the plans you posted so that you make the boat “stitch'n'glue”, IMO that would be an easier build, and give you a better boat, but then you wouldn't meet class rules. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but think about it.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 19:51   #64

Boat: Valiant 40

You're getting as much advice as you need so I'll just offer up this...video of Optis in high wind. Enormous fun!

I think an Opti checks all your boxes as it can be easily rowed and makes just about as stable a platform in an 8' boat as you're going to find for fly fishing. You may want to make little covers/caps for cleats etc. to keep your fly line from catching on them...they are magnets for fly line lol.

As for racing it and building it to the class spec, it's probably not worth it for you to do that for a couple of simple reasons. First you're going to be too heavy to compete in it. Kids graduate out of optis by early teens because they get too heavy...and heavy in an opti is bad, at least as far as doing well in races goes. Second, it's going to be expensive for you to build a real competitor of a boat because you'll need a decent sail, mast, etc.

If you're just building it as close to spec as you can but not worrying about nailing it you can source all sorts of parts from the junkyard. An old flagpole, cut down for the mast, an old sail recut for the sail. You might even be able to build the boat itself from salvaged plywood. The list goes on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 22:12   #65

Thanx for your support Suijin :-)

My answers to Ryan have been tending that way from the beginning because he was explicit in saying that it was the BUILDING experience he wanted. You are absolutely right, at 16 YO, if he wants a dinghy to learn to sail in, then he needs to get on the long side of 14 ft. but that would be more than I am given to understand that his budget can bear. Maybe next time :-)!

Best thing we on this forum can do for Ryan, IMO, is what you are doing - supporting him in his stated goal.

I'm not sure what the clubs race in the UK these days, other than the Mirror. A dinghy I've lusted after all my life but never had is the Wayfarer :-)

So Ryan: Think to the future. I don't know what your plans are after you finish school. Most university sailing clubs have modern racing dinghies that students can use either for free or for rent. If you are going to work, you'll be earning enuff to buy a good used dinghy of an active racing class that will serve a young man far better than an OPTI.

But that's for the future, eh :-)?

TP

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 00:31   #66

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift/

The 10ft version is going to be the one I will built in May.
Bought the plans for a very reasonable price of them.
They also got nesting versions.

Cool little boat. Mine will get equipment from a salvaged Laser.
I already talked to B&B about the plan to use an old Laser Radial rig.
Principally they had no objection.
Will add a hiking strap and hiking cushions too.

Best is, it fits under by aft arch, can be used by rowing and motor too.
Will sail better than a Laser Bug and looks nicer too.
Also perfect for 15-16year olds.
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:33   #67

Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to get the other prices because of the weather here, if you've heard.

So there is no further progress at the minute :S.
ryanshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 07:26   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanshaw View Post
Hello everyone,

I haven't been able to get the other prices because of the weather here, if you've heard.

So there is no further progress at the minute :S.
Hey! You can easily make a list of parts and forward that list to any dinghy parts chandlery in your area. I am local to Ipswich (UK) so I prefer a walk in the shop and ask. I am sure that any chandlery could actually supply you with the optiparts you need. You can try an reach these guys here https://www.foxschandlery.com or e-mail them at sales@foxschandlery.com. They also offer worldwide delivery.
DannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote