Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 04:22   #16

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: 9' Chubby Girl Under Tow by CG

This guy (retired french naval architect) build his 4 meter sailing boat in 400 hours on a budget of 4000 euros.
He left France in 2019 and arrived in the Marquesas this summer.
He will then continu to New Zealand.
The size of his boat enables him to hand the sails from the galley.
And a "central oar" (how do you call this) in place of an engine.

Edit: I wrote "hand the sails", please read "hand the sail", the boat has only a mainsail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A557D2D-748E-45A6-BBA9-CE736F55665C.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	224994   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCECEB32-B754-4EFE-B730-5FD53AAE2AC1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	224995  

sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:40   #17

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Reminded me of sleeping in my closest when I was a kid but without the throwing up and constant soaking of sea water.
Sounds like you need a plumber!
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
... Finally, do remember that back in the early 70s (I think) a couple of survival experts managed to get from SF to Hawaii in an inflatable with no sail rig. The details are hazy, but I do remember that they made it, and then set up a business selling marine survival gear in the Bay Area, and then sponsored the very first single hand Farallones race...
Good memory, Jim!

“History of the Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race” ~ by Robby Robinson
In the spring of 1977, a San Francisco newspaper advertisement solicited entrants for a singlehanded race around Southeast Farallon Island, a distance of approximately 25 miles outside the Golden Gate Bridge. The promoter, George Sigler, was the owner of a marine business, "Survival & Safety Designs"...
History of Singlehanded TransPac

“Experiment in Survival Paperback” ~ by George Sigler
This is a book describing a survival expedition of two U.S. navy pilots who sailed a rubber raft across the Pacific testing new survival techniques. The story is both a story of adventure, and one giving details of what it takes to survive in the open ocean.The two pilots departed San Francisco with no water and six pounds of food arriving in Hawaii 56 days later. Both had dropped in weight from 186lb to 128lb. It was only at the successful end of the trip that the Navy acknowledged they were "an official navy project".
https://www.celestaire.com/product/e...t-in-survival/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:53   #19

You also have Alain Bombard who crossed the Atlantic in the fifties in an inflatable canoe only to prove his point that you can survive on sea without drinking water.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:37   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Maybe he would have made it, with a bigger boat.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:08   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post

He will then continue to New Zealand.

Oh no no no. Ce n'est pas possible. Yann is definitely NOT sailing to NZ. He never mentioned NZ once. He is now in New Cal and I believe he will pass the odd season there.

It took him only some 30 days to sail from Raiatea.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:17   #22

Chubby girls has the same challenge that Yrvind has. Their boats do not sail.

Yrvind at least had the patience to endure (I think 80 days from Norway to Azorerna). Now half way to Madeira.

Our young friend in Chubby lacked experience of the other two. This is what young people today are all about. On the second though, we have always been this way.

I want to see him sailing again and I know he can do what he wants. This short run now will give him plenty of ideas on how improve his little craft too!

b.
Old 12-10-2020, 23:16   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Good memory, Jim!

“History of the Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race” ~ by Robby Robinson
In the spring of 1977, a San Francisco newspaper advertisement solicited entrants for a singlehanded race around Southeast Farallon Island, a distance of approximately 25 miles outside the Golden Gate Bridge. The promoter, George Sigler, was the owner of a marine business, "Survival & Safety Designs"...
History of Singlehanded TransPac

“Experiment in Survival Paperback” ~ by George Sigler
This is a book describing a survival expedition of two U.S. navy pilots who sailed a rubber raft across the Pacific testing new survival techniques. The story is both a story of adventure, and one giving details of what it takes to survive in the open ocean.The two pilots departed San Francisco with no water and six pounds of food arriving in Hawaii 56 days later. Both had dropped in weight from 186lb to 128lb. It was only at the successful end of the trip that the Navy acknowledged they were "an official navy project".
https://www.celestaire.com/product/e...t-in-survival/
Thanks, Gordy... that's the very one(s) I was referencing. I missed out on that first SH Farallones race,(which was won by Bill Lee, singlehanding Merlin, a maxi (for the day) sled of his own design and build) but competed in the second one a year later. That event led me into a spate of single hand ocean racing, first under the kinda offbeat directon of the Survival guys and then the newly formed Association of Single Handers who raced the OYRA offshore series. That endured for four years and eight race series... and then Ann and I went cruising, never to race again.

Those were really formative years, during which I learned so much that has applied to our cruising life... good memories!

So, again, thanks for dredging up the details.

Jim

PS The success of their inflatable to Hawaii voyage should indicate that sailing, even in a poorly performing yacht, should be well within possibility.
Old 13-10-2020, 23:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
This guy (retired french naval architect) build his 4 meter sailing boat in 400 hours on a budget of 4000 euros.
He left France in 2019 and arrived in the Marquesas this summer.
He will then continu to New Zealand.
The size of his boat enables him to hand the sails from the galley.
And a "central oar" (how do you call this) in place of an engine.

Edit: I wrote "hand the sails", please read "hand the sail", the boat has only a mainsail.
Update: I just read that he arrived safe in New Caledonia.
Old 14-10-2020, 07:28   #25

Yes he did. 33 days passage from Raiateaa Tahaa to Noumea. Ziiiiiiiiiiip !

b.
Old 14-10-2020, 07:30   #26

Our Chubby girl is back where they started (Berkley) . Next viable take off in the spring - according to her skipper.

b.
Old 14-10-2020, 08:52   #27

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not know US situation. In other countries (some of them) you pay for towing.

Saving lives is free, saving equipment is not.

barnakiel

Yes, and I hope the CG can persuade him to stop this silly thing, by charging for the towing. Or they should have hired a salvage boat with crane to pick it up, at his expense.

Antrim did himself a big disfavor by being associated with this foolishness.

Crazy record setting attempts: someone needs to tell these people that the days of brave explorers finding new lands to conquer, are over and never will return. Even if he made it to Hawaii, who wouldn't think how ridiculous such a trip is, just to reduce the minimum boat length by 1 foot?
Old 14-10-2020, 09:19   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Yes, and I hope the CG can persuade him to stop this silly thing, by charging for the towing. Or they should have hired a salvage boat with crane to pick it up, at his expense.

Antrim did himself a big disfavor by being associated with this foolishness.

Crazy record setting attempts: someone needs to tell these people that the days of brave explorers finding new lands to conquer, are over and never will return. Even if he made it to Hawaii, who wouldn't think how ridiculous such a trip is, just to reduce the minimum boat length by 1 foot?

The point is that while we are here in front of our blinking screens, they are out there, sailing.

So it is not such a 'silly' thing.

Paying for the tow is a separate thing. If CG charges boats for towing, he may be in a pickle.

b.
Old 14-10-2020, 20:07   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't find these sailing bath tubs for fame and glory very entertaining or heroic or flattering to adventure. That's sailing? Even if he gets in sight of Hawaii it will still be a week before he makes it to a beach, let alone the right one. Lost mooring buoys will probably beat him there. Reminds me of the guy who wanted to get into the Guinness Book by eating a car.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2020, 08:11   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't find these sailing bath tubs for fame and glory very entertaining or heroic or flattering to adventure. That's sailing? Even if he gets in sight of Hawaii it will still be a week before he makes it to a beach, let alone the right one. Lost mooring buoys will probably beat him there. Reminds me of the guy who wanted to get into the Guinness Book by eating a car.

To me it is as much sailing as anything else. And much more sailing than owning a boat docked in a marina.

Things do not have to be entertaining or heroic to be worth doing.

Look at our daily lives - how many thing we do every day are entertaining or heroic? And how many would count, if remotely, as an adventure? Hardly any, imho.

At least the kid spent some time on the water. He got frightened a bit. He built something, he tried something. Adventure? I bet he got it. If not, then what else?

Imho, a way better way to waste one's life than playing nintendo, smoking hay and listening to K-pop. And that's what the vast majority of his peers are doing right now.

b.