Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 09:01   #16

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I find them great boats, you kinda have to get used to the looks and some of the systems but they are a great cruising choice, they will take you anywhere and back. The brand new ones are much nicer on the eye but the older ones are excellent boats that were designed with one thing in mind..cruising and crossing oceans. Good choice!
I agree ! The new ones are now "designed" as much by naval architects as by maritime brokers or charter fleet owners... The result is compromises that are often not "offshore" compatible... For example, my otherwise excellent Ericson 34 has -in front of the mast- an opening hatch where it should have had a couple of real dorade boxes... the result is that, the moment I'm not sailing downwind, I don't have any ventilation except through the companionway if/when I can leave it open ! The funny thing it that they kept the stainless steel arch above it ! Oyster are superlative British design... Look at their dorade box * happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ericson35.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	94983   Click image for larger version

Name:	NoDoradeBox.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	94984  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:37   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hi Julie,

Would this tempt you?

1989 Oyster 53 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am trying to help...
We love Oysters, this one look pretty good but needs a lot of updates and $. Don't know about the 7'2 draft in the Caribbean.

I'm trying to love Amels, but it's been difficult getting past the design. I'm sure they're great boats, but it's an acquired taste-just like my friend's pug.
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:17   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

OUCH!!! That was nasty.

One certain fact, the Amel Super Maramu 53 has a 2.05 meter draft and it will never make a great Bahama cruiser. But then, IMO of course, a good Bahama cruiser would be very challenged in the BLUE stuff.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:27   #19

Truth is, we'd kill to have your blue water boat in a tropical climate-it's barely above zero here in the Midwest of the U.S.

Yeah, as for the pug, I debated taking it down, but figured we cruisers (or wannabees) need a healthy sense of humor.

One thing, I've learned, is never joke about the supply of rum and beer!
Old 05-01-2015, 17:05   #20

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Keep in mind that a lot of euro market boats will have 220/240 volt ac for shore power, battery charger, inverters, etc. And it’s not just the components, 220 volt circuit(s) don’t need as heavy gauge wire as 110 volts circuits, so may need to be rewired or have a parallel 110v circuit installed. Not a huge problem but something to check on and factor in to your decision. Good luck!
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:29   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Having spent a fair amount of time on bard our friend's Amel, they are something of an acquired taste and you must believe in their philosphy.

To my mind, they have some really dumb features: 1 water and 1 fuel tank each of 900l. The saloon is poor, IMHO, nowhere to lounge about, you must sit up and pay attention! Barely standing headroom under the cockpit dodger. Added to the fact they are not exactly speedy given their size, our friend's passage plan at 6kts. Finally, there are those truly horrible plastic decks...

Oyster Yachts after sales is very impressive. My boat, one of the smallest they ever made, left the yard in 1988 and I have never given Oyster a penny. Yet, they maintain an archive of every boat built and when I replaced her engine, they wanted to know which make and why.

We sailed the ARC in 2010, and an Oyster team of seven people gave us a check over of all systems from masthead to rudder, provided a written report to boot. All gratis, I was seriously impressed, along with our neighbours on the pontoon. Their USA office helped out when we had a problem with our AIS in Newport RI.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:12   #22

Hello JulieMac,

Last chance... this will do all you want without all the headache of teak...

:-)

2008 Alubat CIGALE 16 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Old 06-01-2015, 04:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Having spent a fair amount of time on bard our friend's Amel, they are something of an acquired taste and you must believe in their philosphy.

To my mind, they have some really dumb features: 1 water and 1 fuel tank each of 900l. The saloon is poor, IMHO, nowhere to lounge about, you must sit up and pay attention! Barely standing headroom under the cockpit dodger. Added to the fact they are not exactly speedy given their size, our friend's passage plan at 6kts. Finally, there are those truly horrible plastic decks...

Oyster Yachts after sales is very impressive. My boat, one of the smallest they ever made, left the yard in 1988 and I have never given Oyster a penny. Yet, they maintain an archive of every boat built and when I replaced her engine, they wanted to know which make and why.

We sailed the ARC in 2010, and an Oyster team of seven people gave us a check over of all systems from masthead to rudder, provided a written report to boot. All gratis, I was seriously impressed, along with our neighbours on the pontoon. Their USA office helped out when we had a problem with our AIS in Newport RI.
Sure the Amels are as you say an acquired taste but then you could say that about pretty much any sailboat. I think the longer you cruise the easier it is to appreciate some of Amels features. From the beginning old Henry was never trying to design a boat for double duty, his boats were for voyaging. Over the years I think you will find that one starts to understand his philosophy and the practicle side to his designs. Yes the plastic teak decks don't please the eye of someone used to looking at teak, can't disagree with that but the non skid part of it works and years down the line where you have to cut a cheque for 60+ thousand dollars to have the real teak decks replaced you begin to sort of like them a little more.
The Amels are certainly not for everyone and no one accused them of winning exterior design awards but they are a very well built go anywhere sailboat that can be taken anywhere in the world.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41   #24

Boat: Ericson 34
Talking Re: 7 Pitfalls with Buying a Boat in Europe

Quote:
Sure the Amels are as you say an acquired taste but then you could say that about pretty much any sailboat.... The Amels are certainly not for everyone and no one accused them of winning exterior design awards but they are a very well built go anywhere sailboat that can be taken anywhere in the world.
I agree 100%. Last December I met -at Bock Marine, Beaufort NC- an American sailor who was working on his second Amel. He had a first one, I think a 14 meter that he sold upon his return from a round the world cruise & he bought a second one, Amel again... I guess a round the world cruise is a good test to judge the relevance of Amel's choices, don't you think ? This said, I would sail happily Oysters anytime as they are indeed superlative British construction.
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 14:27   #25

Quote:
Hello JulieMac,

Last chance... this will do all you want without all the headache of teak...

:-)

2008 Alubat CIGALE 16 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Glad to see you're still speaking to me! LOL

Interesting layout. I've never seen a settee under the cockpit. I couldn't quite figure out the rear platform. I'm assuming it's for the dingy??

We're don't want to spend that much on the boat, although it seems quite nice. Also want the draft under 2 meters, if possible.

I like Najads, Contests and Oysters. Of those, only the Oyster has a non-cored hull.
Old 06-01-2015, 19:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Glad to see you're still speaking to me! LOL

Interesting layout. I've never seen a settee under the cockpit. I couldn't quite figure out the rear platform. I'm assuming it's for the dingy??

We're don't want to spend that much on the boat, although it seems quite nice. Also want the draft under 2 meters, if possible.

I like Najads, Contests and Oysters. Of those, only the Oyster has a non-cored hull.
Of course, we are still friends.. its about personal choices :-)

The Cigale 16 is a retractable keel boat. Draft is less than 3 feet when retracted and drops down to nearly 12 feet when fully down. These things are very tough while capable of serious speed. The aft platform houses the canister Liferaft on passage. Easily beached for hull cleaning.

When I looked at Oysters, I thought that until '92, the hulls were balsa cored... I think one of us has it wrong!

Absolute last chance! This is a twin engined Najad.. bit unusual and is a reason why it so cheap. Been for sale for years but looks good...
Old 06-01-2015, 20:32   #27

Ooops... no editing function on this forum. So additional post

1993 Najad 510 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 06-01-2015, 22:01   #28

Quote:

When I looked at Oysters, I thought that until '92, the hulls were balsa cored... I think one of us has it wrong!

Absolute last chance! This is a twin engined Najad.. bit unusual and is a reason why it so cheap. Been for sale for years but looks good...
The oyster 485 & 45/47 all have what oyster calls ' single skin ' hull. Broker also confirmed this. I understand that to mean solid hull above and below the waterline.

Yes, I saw that Najad 510, as well as the 520 & 441's. Great looking boats. That 510 looks wonderful down below, but the twin Volvo's is a first. Many people run for cover when you mention what they call the "green monster". Now imagine two of them! That boat seems to be selling at a diminished value. Think that's why?

What I like about the Oysters is the fact that the decks are glued, and not screwed- at least that's my understanding. The HR, Malo & Najad decks all are screwed down.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
The oyster 485 & 45/47 all have what oyster calls ' single skin ' hull. Broker also confirmed this. I understand that to mean solid hull above and below the waterline.

Yes, I saw that Najad 510, as well as the 520 & 441's. Great looking boats. That 510 looks wonderful down below, but the twin Volvo's is a first. Many people run for cover when you mention what they call the "green monster". Now imagine two of them! That boat seems to be selling at a diminished value. Think that's why?

What I like about the Oysters is the fact that the decks are glued, and not screwed- at least that's my understanding. The HR, Malo & Najad decks all are screwed down.
Julie, I think you will find that all builders these days glue the teak decks in place. Depending on the year a boat was built it could be done either way. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00   #30

Quote:
Julie, I think you will find that all builders these days glue the teak decks in place. Depending on the year a boat was built it could be done either way. R
Robert, the operative word you use is, "these days". The boats we're looking at are 1990's vintage. A close look at Yachtworld pics, show most Scandinavian boats have screws.

As we will have to replace those decks in time, properly plugging those holes will be critical in keep the deck coring from water intrusion.

Tags
buying, Europe, rope