Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 03:54   #1
Ktz

Boat: Lagoon 380, Lagoon 450, Dufour 525
65ft aluminum mono vs 50ft cat

Hello everyone!

I have been an owner of both multihulls up to 45ft and monohulls up to 54ft doing mainly coastal cruising.

Now, I am about to buy a bluewater boat and start a round-the-world trip with my girlfriend and friends occasionally. I probably will do a trade wind circumnavigation, but of course I prefer not having limitations regarding the cruising grounds and courses.

My budget for the boat can be around 1M$. I am studying all types of boats for many years, I have quite a lot of sailing experience but still, I am not sure which is the best for the trip.

In that budget, I could buy a new St. Francis 50 which IMO is one of the most well-designed and balanced liveaboard cats. Or a used aluminum monohull like Nordia 65' which is listed right now, with an Amel-like dodger and steering position but with higher specs.

I generally consider the St Francis 50 a safer and more rational choice for many reasons but the idea of a big monohull of this quality is also appealing, although maintenance, handling and resale will be probably harder.
I know they are totally different but I think you might have equal level of comfort and safety in these two.
What's your opinion?

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/li...&Ntt=nordia+65
Ktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:28   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: 65ft aluminum mono vs 50ft cat

If you are even remotely interested in a St Francis 50 then contact Paul
http://www.suliere.com

https://cobrokerage.boatsgroupwebsit...t=1&parent=474
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:28   #3

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I'm not a cat guy so I'll give my opinion:

a cool $1m would buy pretty much any dream monohull under 65'... I wouldn't even need that much to find the perfect boat for myself, and use the rest for cold beer and fresh food
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:49   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

The st Francis 50 is my dream boat. I fell in love with them at the Annapolis boat show, I beleive 2016(maybe 2015) They were around 1 million usd then. At the 2019 show I was told 1.8 for a new build.
So I dont think you will get a new one, but a used one would still be my choice over any monohull. Or any other cat for that matter
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:23   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You mentioned around the world so the search term for that is “Sundeer”. Only a single 60’ listed now but I know who to contact for more options incl. 64’

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...er-60-3693811/

I know the van Dam Nordia yard (being Dutch) and these boats are great but more difficult to handle and much slower than the Sundeer. The Sundeer was designed to be handle by a couple to go anywhere... which sounds like what you are looking for. Next best option would be the Amel, which is still being built.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:24   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You mentioned around the world so the search term for that is “Sundeer”. Only a single 60’ listed now but I know who to contact for more options incl. 64’

I been on that boat and know the owner. They took very good care of that boat.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 13:43   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I think you are doing the right thing making an allowance for the beam and equating a cat to a longer monohull.

Once you do this many of differences evaporate. The distinctions that remain are the factors where you should base your decisions.

I have sailed a few weeks on a St Frances 50. I have only managed a few boat tours and short sails on custom monohulls over 60 feet. Really not enough for a truely valid comparison, but the right 60+ monohulls are truely spectacular machines in a way that a 50 foot production cat cannot hope to emulate.

Of course that is my take. YMMV.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 15:09   #8

Paul and SULIERE have quite a history that you might want to Google.

In Mobile, Alabama, at Turner Marine on the Dog River, is a St F named QUANTUM LEAP and I believe she may be for sale, or they are thinking about selling. If you Google “St Francis QUANTUM LEAP” you can find something, I expect.

I am moored near to QL, but have not met the owners
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 15:52   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I prefer Multihull’s but for $1m there are a ton of cats out there besides the St Francis 50. Nice cat but so many choices
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 16:02   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i know many will have different opinion, but i personally would not have any aluminium boat (be it cat or mono)

too many worries about corrosion / noise / hard corners

as to cat v mono, the debate has been done to death. unless you're planning on rounding cape horn, i'd go with a cat

cheers,
Old 05-08-2020, 18:08   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. I’ve built in wood, glass, composite, glass / epoxy and aluminum. Sailed for 60 years in lots of different places. I’m very happy with a custom 60 aluminum mono hull ketch with twin keels. A lot of false information on monohulls, aluminum and catamarans is out there. There is no perfect vessel, no perfect design, material, or method of construction. Just go and don’t forget to have fun.
Life is short. Happy trails to you !
Mark a content manatee.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 22:50   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Draft??? A big mono will have limitations on where it can go on a world trip due to too much draft.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:52   #13
Ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
The st Francis 50 is my dream boat. I fell in love with them at the Annapolis boat show, I beleive 2016(maybe 2015) They were around 1 million usd then. At the 2019 show I was told 1.8 for a new build.
So I dont think you will get a new one, but a used one would still be my choice over any monohull. Or any other cat for that matter
Dear Chris,
I think your info is false. The base price of SF50 is 920K$ with a very long list of equipment as standard.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:12   #14
Ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I know the van Dam Nordia yard (being Dutch) and these boats are great but more difficult to handle and much slower than the Sundeer. The Sundeer was designed to be handle by a couple to go anywhere... which sounds like what you are looking for. Next best option would be the Amel, which is still being built.

Thank you very much for your reply. I admire the practicality and hull capabilities in every Dashew design. The problem is that the layout is strictly for a couple. I think it has only one toilet. Also the interior is quite outdated for my taste.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:50   #15
Ktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think you are doing the right thing making an allowance for the beam and equating a cat to a longer monohull.

Once you do this many of differences evaporate. The distinctions that remain are the factors where you should base your decisions.

I have sailed a few weeks on a St Frances 50. I have only managed a few boat tours and short sails on custom monohulls over 60 feet. Really not enough for a truely valid comparison, but the right 60+ monohulls are truely spectacular machines in a way that a 50 foot production cat cannot hope to emulate.

Of course that is my take. YMMV.
Thank you very much for your reply! This is exactly what I am thinking about. I don't have any real cruising experience with a serious monohull 60+ but I feel that its a different category.
I have experience with cats over 60ft and I can say that in terms of seaworthiness and comfort at sea, it is not an upgrade compared to a 45-50ft. Sometimes, especially in close reach there are even worst.
In monohulls I think is different as the extra length always adds comfort and seaworthiness.

Tags
aluminum