Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2021, 06:58   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Ours is mounted on the aft railing in a mount that has a fold down front. Turn the handle and the front folds down by itself and the raft falls out into the water.

Pull the rip cord ( attached to the rail) and the raft inflates.
The best place.. the raft should always be launched at the stern to my mind..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 07:24   #92

Boat: Bavaria 38E
Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Ours is mounted on the aft railing in a mount that has a fold down front. Turn the handle and the front folds down by itself and the raft falls out into the water.

Pull the rip cord ( attached to the rail) and the raft inflates.
Yeah. This would be ideal except that we have life lines across the cockpit stern, not full rails. No good place to attach a mount. The little bit of stern railing we do have is already in use to support the outboard mount, the throwable ring, the radar post, and the stern anchor when it needs to be out. So many things, so little space.

Life raft in a valise is some folks’ answer. Still have the problem of where to stow it on a small boat when underway.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 07:40   #93

Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Actually. The raft discussion has its place but getting into one is inherently a “rescue me” decision, although possibly a forced one in many cases. But I wonder how folks would view spending “raft money” on a high-capacity engine-driven bilge pump or replacing 20 or 30 yr-old through hulls and/or valves. IOW save, rather than abandon, the ship preparation.
Old 14-11-2021, 08:14   #94

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
I have righted a life raft but only in the pool they made it as difficult as they could with waves and limited light - pool with black tiles - in the pool it’s taught as a 2 man job.
In the pool it was easy, in the sea with people without the knowledge it’s going to be a nightmare.
You have to go under the raft put one person in the underside of the upturned raft - where the Gas cylinder is (like you could find that in a Gale) then another finds the cord and pulls them self up on to the raft then standing on the Gas bottle pulls the cord while leaning backwards and ends up under the raft and continues hand over hand on the cord until you pop out from underneath the righted raft - now it’s righted the one who was under is now inside and can pull the other inside - carefully because if your too aggressive you throw one person on board and the next you throw them into each other and now you have head injuries to deal with.

Let’s hope we don’t have to ever use this knowledge
It's not much harder than righting an inflatable dinghy or a Hobie Cat. Same concept--you stand on one side and pull the thing over on top of you. It requires a bit more coordination when two or 3 people have to do the standing and pulling. If you stand on the downwind side, the wind helps.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 19:21   #95

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
No way would one nan be able to lift a 6 man container liferaft over lifelines. No handles for a start. You would have to be able to slide it over the deck & under the lifelines. Best to measure to make sure it will fit. Mine is in cradle in front of companion, with carabiner clipped to cradle already. In action would clip to bittom lifeline before launching overboard.
Actually I move this raft myself off my boat, into a dock cart, up into my truck and back again when I get it repacked. There are places to grab at each corner. I agree it is difficult and might be impossible to get over lifelines if boat was heeling wrong way. . It won't fit under the lower lifeline but a cable cutter, which we always have on board, would'help with that problem.
Your point is well taken however and a better solution would be to install a pelican hook in the lower lifeline at that point.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 07:40   #96

Quote:
No way would one nan be able to lift a 6 man container liferaft over lifelines. No handles for a start. You would have to be able to slide it over the deck & under the lifelines. Best to measure to make sure it will fit. Mine is in cradle in front of companion, with carabiner clipped to cradle already. In action would clip to bittom lifeline before launching overboard.
I guess I wonder the utility of equipping one’s self with a raft that cannot be easily or readily deployed. Why six man to begin with? Do folks usually cruise with a crew of six? I suppose there’s the matter of endurance, etc. In any event, one might attach handles or put the thing in a custom-made canvass bag with straps as I describe above. Two crew could lift it that way if up on deck somewhere, and then easily slide (“pour”) it out of the bag into the water. If buying a raft I think the questions would be where will it go, and how wiil I deploy it? It’s similar to the ground tackle equation. Where, principally, will I be anchoring this boat and what do I need for that?, etc. Or rather like how will I actually use this MOB equipment to get my one other crew aboard? Where will I hoist from? Is there really enough purchase there for my wife to haul me up if need be—200 lb+ wet weight?
Old 15-11-2021, 07:48   #97

Boat: Storfidra 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
The trip was in June.
The Cali coast can be really ugly in June.
Randy Bogardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 07:55   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
…a better solution would be to install a pelican hook in the lower lifeline at that point.
Yes. I was about to suggest that myself.
Old 15-11-2021, 10:05   #99

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
Yes. I was about to suggest that myself.
Alternatively the bottom lifeline can be secured with a multiple turn nylon lashing so it can be cut if necessary in an emergency - such as recovering a MOB.

Stowing a liferaft is always going to be a compromise. My cradle is strongly bolted down immediately forward of the spray hood over the companionway. You would think it would obscure forward vision from the helm but we normally look to one side of it, being heeled.

I decided against the aft pushpit mounting - convenient though it is - because of it being potentially more vulnerable to being washed away by breaking waves, & also the seesaw effect - I would launch mine under the lee rail midships.

I had a valise but changed to a container stowed on deck because the raft was so heavy - I do sometimes have 5 people on board. I also move it off & on the boat myself for servicing but I use a lashing around the container & the main halliard when I do that.

I agree the liferaft is the last resort & I do have damage control pumps on board but no pump is going to cope with fire - or a sizeable hole nderwater. Found this link which might be useful to some: Flooding.html
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 16:48   #100

Quote:
Alternatively the bottom lifeline can be secured with a multiple turn nylon lashing so it can be cut if necessary in an emergency - such as recovering a MOB.

Stowing a liferaft is always going to be a compromise. My cradle is strongly bolted down immediately forward of the spray hood over the companionway. You would think it would obscure forward vision from the helm but we normally look to one side of it, being heeled.

I decided against the aft pushpit mounting - convenient though it is - because of it being potentially more vulnerable to being washed away by breaking waves, & also the seesaw effect - I would launch mine under the lee rail midships.

I had a valise but changed to a container stowed on deck because the raft was so heavy - I do sometimes have 5 people on board. I also move it off & on the boat myself for servicing but I use a lashing around the container & the main halliard when I do that.

I agree the liferaft is the last resort & I do have damage control pumps on board but no pump is going to cope with fire - or a sizeable hole nderwater. Found this link which might be useful to some: Flooding.html
I think the game plan would be to dewater as faster as you can while locating and fixing the leak. If you can shove something into it while getting to the repair, like a nerf ball or similar. Might also patch with a circle of sail material ringed with Mighty Putty. Slam on a piece of wood (1x4), etc., to press against. I keep some of this kind of stuff aboard. Meanwhile, the engine-driven bilge pump keeps the water from rising too fast.
Old 16-11-2021, 10:45   #101

Quote:
Actually. But I wonder how folks would view spending “raft money” on a high-capacity engine-driven bilge pump.
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...e-pump.341439/
Rotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 07:12   #102

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Actually. The raft discussion has its place but getting into one is inherently a “rescue me” decision, although possibly a forced one in many cases. But I wonder how folks would view spending “raft money” on a high-capacity engine-driven bilge pump or replacing 20 or 30 yr-old through hulls and/or valves. IOW save, rather than abandon, the ship preparation.
In case of fire on board a bilge pump is of little use!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 07:16   #103

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
In case of fire on board a bilge pump is of little use!

Unless it's a big pump with valves to draw water from outside and be used as a fire pump.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2021, 16:12   #104

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Unless it's a big pump with valves to draw water from outside and be used as a fire pump.

And a separate pump to remove the water you just put inside
Old 17-11-2021, 17:52   #105

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
And a separate pump to remove the water you just put inside
Ideally, yes. But almost sinking it and not being on fire is better than on fire and not flooded.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, knot, rescue, wind