Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2021, 11:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Hats of to the US Coasties...once again....stellar performance !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 12:29   #17

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!
Re: 6 people rescued in 60 knots of wind and 20 ft seas 100 miles off California coas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Hats of to the US Coasties...once again....stellar performance !!!
+1
Old 23-10-2021, 13:46   #18
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

so what led up to the emergency? did they not check the weather? the pictures show sails furled. it says they could not steer but it did not say the steering was disabled. did they not have power either? helluva boat to abandon .. but hey I was not there
Old 23-10-2021, 14:21   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Usually, where you have to get to to fix things with steering is cramped, and it occurred to me that the water they reported coming in could have been coming in through the rudder shaft. If the boat is sinking and it is too dangerous to work back there, and the storms are coming every other day, it was a good call to get them off while it could be done.

Normally, a boat that size would not have had trouble with the wind and sea.

Ann
Old 23-10-2021, 14:24   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Usually, where you have to get to to fix things with steering is cramped, and it occurred to me that the water they reported coming in could have been coming in through the rudder shaft. If the boat is sinking and it is too dangerous to work back there, and the storms are coming every other day, it was a good call to get them off while it could be done.

Normally, a boat that size would not have had trouble with the wind and sea.

Ann
It is often said that the boat can take more than the people.
Old 23-10-2021, 14:37   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It's a crap shoot as to why? Boat and condition crew's age on and on. I guess it's thank God for the Coast Guard
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 16:54   #22

Boat: Old Wooden Ketch

The coast guard has no interest in leaving people behind to try to save a boat in bad conditions. Just a few days ago a sailor was having a tough time of it in Alaskan waters in storm conditions. He didn't ask for help but his epirb was automatically activated. The helicopter showed up to his surprise and the swimmer came down and said get in the water. He wasn't planning to leave but the swimmer said do it now. They hauled him away, according to the swimmer saving his life. Talk from those on shore about saving a crippled vessel in desperate conditions is not how it happens in reality. If conditions are ever bad enough to result in a helicopter over my boat I won't have to think very long before doing exactly what the coasties say.

BTW I believe the injured woman was the most knowledgeable crew member and owner of the vessel. And I believe the vessel did founder following the rescue. I won't question the decision to abandon ship.
WoodenKetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:02   #23

I do not understand how his epirb could have been automatically turned on. Clarify.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:26   #24

Epirbs are water activated. Maybe it was washed over or maybe it fell in the bilge water. His sails were all shredded in 30 ft waves. Lots of water available, was probably knocked down multiple times.
Old 23-10-2021, 17:31   #25

Thank you. That makes sense.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 17:56   #26

Boat: Other people's boats

Anecdotally I've seen a few mentions of accidental activation on other forums. Two, I think were related to having the EPIRB in a ditch bag and it apparently being jostled sufficiently, another mentioned theirs activated after getting wet which I think may be one of the more likely reasons.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 20:21   #27

I've also heard of a significant percentage of epirb activations are in landfills when they have been disposed of without deactivation. Don't just throw it in the trash!
Old 23-10-2021, 22:45   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
This is a wood boat built in 1932 with a recent grounding.
It was taking on water and I suspect some planks were sprung.
I don't think i is reasonable to expect the crew to stay with it in those conditions.

Schooner BARLOVENTO Lost?

Again the Coasties had to put their own lives in danger. Even though willingly, it would not have been necessary were it not for very poor decisions by the skipper of that yacht. Very bad judgement on part of the skipper, to attempt such voyage in that particular boat at this time of year. Everything done wrong, IMHO.
Old 24-10-2021, 05:46   #29

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Very bad judgement on part of the skipper, to attempt such voyage in that particular boat at this time of year. Everything done wrong, IMHO.
The trip was in June.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:17   #30

Maybe. The rule is step-up to board the life raft. The decks are awash and the raft is floating above you. It’s a general rule and generally applicable but that means there are lots of mitigating factors.
Laxlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, knot, rescue, wind