Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 11:29   #61

Re: 50+gallons of water pouring into boat..are we going to sink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFS Klopas View Post
Mine was a loose through hull fitting above the water line. After I switched to sail power, the heeling was enough to splash water through the opening. The leak temporarily stopped on its own when I doused the sails, except I hadn't tracked it down. When I hoisted again, I was on the opposite tack and didn't take more.

The safety regs for racing often require a 5 gallon bucket with a line on the handle. The line was certainly useful.

A portable Honda-powered trash pump would not be a bad idea at all if space permits. And of course a big old bronze strainer for the end of the inlet hose, unless it's an alloy hull that is!

Bring a fire nozzle for the outlet hose too maybe? Never know when that might come in handy.
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:55   #62

Boat: Bavaria 36'
Re: 50+gallons of water pouring into boat..are we going to sink?

If you have a line to the handle of your bucket make sure that you are not moving when you dip the bucket. Having lost two buckets (but retained the handles and the leash) I made a substantial and robust handle and then nearly lost a crew member overboard board when the bucket filled and basically acted as a water brake.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water