Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 06:22   #1

5 things You'll Learn About Yourself living on A Boat

I thought this was funny and would pass it along. Written BY EMMA THIEME. This is the original Link.

5 things you learn about yourself living on a boat - Matador Network

WHEN YOUR FRIEND ASKS YOU to spend a winter with him, living on his 27ft Bristol and sailing through the Grenadine Islands in the Southern Caribbean, it doesn’t matter if you’ve barely paddled a canoe and an irrational fear of sharks keeps you out of most lakes. The answer to the question is yes.

So a month later, when you find yourself in the middle of the Atlantic with no land in sight, 50 nautical miles from where you started, heading into 13-knot winds and an approaching rainstorm, you might be clinging to the safety lines and trying not to vomit again. Your brain might feel like it’s bouncing around in an empty PBR can. Peering down into the cabin for escape might feel like peering down into the satanic depths of your own personal K-hole.

You’ll want to go home. To return to your long johns and your entire wheel of Brie, to your beanbag chair and your HBO Go account.

But boat life is a challenge and a long haul. Your only chance of escape is to stay put, to allow yourself to be weathered by the elements, the lack of rules, and the freedom. You’ll have to decide: Do I sail or do I sink?

And if you sail, you’ll learn.

1. Showers aren’t necessary.
It might be days before you notice that your cuticles have ripped down to your knuckles. Your skin is literally disintegrating from the lack of fresh water.

But you’re living on a boat in the Caribbean! You’re swimming every day! You’re reading three books a week! You’re choreographing an entire synchronized-swimming routine. And it’s Olympic quality! You don’t give a **** about how you smell. You’re busy.

Living on a boat allows you to let minor issues like cleanliness fall by the wayside. Maybe once a month, a torrential downpour will hit and you’ll grab some Dr. Bronner’s, get naked, and have a little baby Jesus shower on deck. There’s no such thing as ‘body shy.’ Look around. Every self-respecting boat person is doing it. And at this point, you’ve seen one too many 70-year-old, retired-expat penises to care. So scrub-a-dub-dub.

2. People living on land have a bathroom. You have the open ocean.
If you haven’t stepped into a shower stall in weeks, your ass probably hasn’t cozied onto a toilet seat in awhile either.

Sure, most boats will have heads. They’ll have odd pumping or pulling or sliding contraptions. And you’ll have to warn every snorkeler in a half-mile radius if you’re gonna deuce it because it might land on their head while they’re investigating some coral.

But you’re coasting in on the smallest lady in the harbor, and she doesn’t have much space to spare below deck. So it’s over the railing, sweetheart.

Boat life is personal, not always socially acceptable. And after a while you might start to enjoy your new habit of cutting out the middleman. The ocean is your own personal bidet! It might feel a little too fancy sometimes.

You’ll proudly make up a song with your captain that goes, “You go in the morning / I go at night / Society says it’s wrong / But to us it feels right.” And because you have nothing else to do, you’ll actually develop that song with more lyrics and perform it acoustically in front of your boat neighbors.

“Why does anyone use a toilet ever?” you’ll ask yourself aloud on an eight-hour sail to Bequia, as you brace yourself on a cleat and tinkle over the side. (The key to peeing while underway is to brace, squat, and lean with the boat. And to have a spotter. Always have a spotter.)

3. Boat life doesn’t always make you cool in real life.
You’re waking up every morning to the sun shining through the forward hatch. You’re free diving down to 16ft to make sure the anchor is secure. You’re rowing Rosie the rowboat a mile into shore every goddam day for ‘provisions.’ You might think this trip is making you pretty ****ing cool. You’re probably wrong.

Just because you picked up an old beater guitar in Saint Lucia and stumbled through the first few chords of “Wish You Were Here” does not mean you’re going to be the next singer/songwriter back in the States. Just because you started a band with you, your captain, and that guy on the Oyster 29 across the way, and you called it Caribbean Stew for the Sailor’s Soul, and you got pretty bossy last Tuesday night at band practice, does not mean you guys are going to sign a record deal.

Get that through your head. Before you make the mistake of buying a drum, custom made from the trunk of a coconut tree and stretched with a real goatskin. And you’ve used that drum to pitter-patter along with a circle on Union Island, which has led you to believe that drumming is now your ‘thing.’

So you carry your 18lb drum through five flights back home, and you immediately bring it to a party. Only to realize the hard way that you’ve been playing “We Will Rock You” this whole time. Don’t let yourself make that mistake. It’s incredibly disappointing.

4. Boat life is a simple life.
Your daily schedule might sound like this: Wake up and lay around for 45 minutes. Eat a mango. Swim for a second. Float on your blowup donkey thing. Sample some marijuana. Attempt one pull-up over the railing. Fail. Think about what your life might be like if you had toned arms. Eat some variation of beans and rice. And so on and so on for all of eternity.

Before long, boat life will have you questioning why land life even exists. Why can’t we all just Waterworld it out here?

Back home on land, you have a schedule. You have a phone that rings. You have to answer people and tell them what you’re doing.

“I’m just sitting. Staring at my geranium plant,” you might say.

“Well, why?” they might say.

And then you have to come up with an answer for them. It’s all very annoying. Boat life doesn’t present those conversations. To get through a day on a boat, you just have to solve the basic riddles of survival.

How am I going to get myself to shore to buy a popsicle? I’m going to row my rowboat.

When am I going to sail to Grenada? In two days when the wind has died down to 5 knots.

How am I going to kill this bluefin tuna that I caught? I’m going to hit it over the head with my wench handle. Then I’m going to eat it.

5. You’re stronger than you know.
Now that you’ve spent your winter on a very small boat, living a very primitive and basic life, you’ll return home a happier and more resourceful person. As you jumped from island to island, inspiration followed you. You were greeted every day with the open arms of island culture, each community different and inviting and eager to welcome you.

You’re now a person in perpetual motion. You’ve learned how to maneuver the bow of a boat underway, how to use your weight to hoist her sails and secure her lines, and how to proudly sail onto anchor when everyone else is motoring in.

And in the middle of the night, in the middle of the ocean, thousands of miles from home, you allowed yourself to be rocked into a peaceful sleep under the stars
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 06:38   #2

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Re: 5 things You'll Learn About Yourself living on A Boat

Sheldon, you have rare insight. They should print your post in every sailing mag. Thanks.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:25   #3

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Sheldon, that was a good read and I thank you very much for your sense of life and capture the real boating experience for many of us.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:05   #4

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Whoops, I say, Emma,you have rare insight. Sheldon, thanks for passing it on to us.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Everything except the bit about peeing overboard is funny.

More sailors are found drowned on the beach with their flies open.

I don't allow that on my boat. I have a head that works and we use it.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:40   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I'm with George on this one. Pissing while underway has unnecessary risks including dribbling the last bit on the boat. Washing down afterwards is a pain requiring digging out a bucket and some line. My rules are simple, either use the head or the screw top container I keep there.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 12:56   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Great post.

Love the simple life of sailing a small(ish) boat.

https://youtu.be/2lwbHYOFD-4

However...peeing over the side is no big deal for dudes. This rule helps...one hand for the ship (to hold on). When its really rough, there are drain holes in the cockpit. Why would I want to collect and keep a tankful of urine on my boat...thats like the absolute last place I want a tankful of pee.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 13:19   #8

Boat: 1980 22 Catalina

Thank you for the read...i found it most enjoyable....I'm going to send it out to some of my friends so when they ask me why is it you want to live on a boat......i hope to be doing that within the next three years thank you again...
mark rocco mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 14:03   #9

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

I dunno about the whole not showering thing... I like to shower and smell clean....

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 15:02   #10

Silly....
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 21:28   #11

Boat: Alden Malabar Sr 33

Sounds actually pathetic. I think I'll hold onto my social graces.
sloopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 08:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I thought it was funny. And i pee in a bucket and wash the bucket overboard.
We'll see how much social grace you have after throwing up for 24 hours...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 09:07   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I dunno about the whole not showering thing... I like to shower and smell clean....
I think everyone does but sometimes it's fun to drop off the grid for a few days. If you want to shower or bathe, that's fine. If not, do so at least every Saturday. (I'm a singlehander)

Teeth brushing though to me is mandatory. Shaving optional (except for Robert Redford on his boat)

On a Bristol 27, the cockpit makes quite a nice bathtub. Mine also has a head (glorified porta potty w/holding)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:28   #14

I like it .... I like the idea of "roughing it".
I've gone months without a shower before, and you just get used to it ..... only a few will know how precious a new shipment of baby wipes can be in the desert after no one has showered in a month or two.
Old 23-09-2015, 14:58   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
As you get older, you stink less. Also, if you cut down on meat, you stink less. Have you heard the slogan "meat stinks"...thats what it means.

I enjoy swimming a lot in the summer while cruising, and don't miss showering at all. When I crossed the atlantic, I was shocked to find that the other 3 crew expected to shower (and shave) every day while at sea...in fresh water! I don't think I had any odour, and if I did, there was no way you could smell it over the salt air, diesel fumes, and smell of dead fish we butchered in the cockpit.

On the other hand, when I had a hunter legend, I greatly enjoyed the stern shower...hot water on a cold day...nice.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote