Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 07:56   #1

Boat: Tartan TOCK
$450 to transfer documentation?

I was just filling out the online form on the USCG site to transfer documentation of the boat we just bought. When I got to the end, it said it was going to cost $450. Is this correct? I thought I had seen that it was $89 or something like that. I think I checked all the right boxes...
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:38   #2

Re: $450 to transfer documentation?

Does not sound right.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:45   #3

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard A Lee View Post
I was just filling out the online form on the USCG site to transfer documentation of the boat we just bought. When I got to the end, it said it was going to cost $450. Is this correct? I thought I had seen that it was $89 or something like that. I think I checked all the right boxes...
My guess is that you did not go to the official USCG website but to a website made to look like the true USCG website. Try again and be sure you go to this site: https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:03   #4

Boat: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge, Boston Whaler 235 Conquest
Exclamation $450 to transfer documentation?

We're in the process of buying a Hatteras, and the dealer is taking care of all of the paperwork as part of the deal.

The vessel is currently documented. The dealer said that it was going to cost us around $700 to transfer by the time it was all said and done.

It will cost half of that to just register it, and since there is no real benefit, that I can see, to have it documented, we are going to skip it.

YMMV

Cheers
Old 27-09-2016, 19:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I did my documentation last year and if I recall it was something like $85. I agree you might have been tricked into a for profit website masquerading as the USCG.

This just happened to me with some IRS forms I needed to submit to have assets I inherited transferred to me. Found the form online, looked like an official IRS site but when I tried to complete the form they wanted a few hundred bucks. Smelled something rotten, backed out and found the correct IRS site with the form free.

I did check the USCG website and it doesn't look like fees have increased.

Any chance you are on this website? https://uscgdocumentation.us/

This is NOT the USCG. Their website and all sections end with .mil not .us.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 19:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strypes View Post
We're in the process of buying a Hatteras, and the dealer is taking care of all of the paperwork as part of the deal.

The vessel is currently documented. The dealer said that it was going to cost us around $700 to transfer by the time it was all said and done.

It will cost half of that to just register it, and since there is no real benefit, that I can see, to have it documented, we are going to skip it.

YMMV

Cheers
I think your dealer is marking up the fees about $615. Maybe that's what he's trying to charge for his time. Considering the very short time it takes to fill in the forms I think that would work out to about $1000/hour. Nice pay if you can get it.

I might ask for a breakdown of the $700 charge since the USCG fee is about $85. For a new vessel even first documentation is only $133. Or just DIY, it's very easy.
Old 27-09-2016, 19:46   #7

Boat: Tartan TOCK

Thanks everyone! I did get tricked into the wrong site. I'll make sure I go to the actual USCG site and get the right documents.

I love this forum!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 21:17   #8

Boat: Tayana FD-12

I am doing the same. Its 96$ for me. You cannot pay online for exchange. you need to submit the Credit card form. If you read the coast guard instructions it is very simple. They are listed very clearly in document called "inst exchange.pdf"
Quickest way to have the paperwork done is to email PDFs of the following forms:

CG-7042 Credit Card authorization be sure to check all items you are paying for.

Filled and notarized bill of sale (8$ per page) if you use CG-1230 its 1 page, unless vessel was never documented.

Filled form for exchange of COD. CG-1258 ($84)

You did title search? if there is mortgage you need a release.

if its a person that holds the mortgage you need mortgagee to fill and notarize release form 4$ per page. there isn't a specific CG form for this. name of the sample file you can use is "sample Sat.pdf"

If bank is holding a primary mortgage, you need another form CG-4593 (24$). that might be a hassle and hence more money.

I am so glad coast guard has made this process idiot proof and allowed us to bypass the sharks.
oh and you don't always need to title or register Coast Guard documented boat. So leave that for later if you dont feel like dealing with state thieves.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:14   #9

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Here's a surprise: we followed as best we could the uscg forms and sent in a bunch of money. It took over a month to get the transfer and it included a partial refund ..... From the gubment!
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:17   #10

You can easily do it yourself on the OFFICIAL uscg site.

It just takes some time and a little patience. I think the "wait" to get it back is something like 3 months. BUT, on the USCG site, they have a link where you can check on the status of your application. It will tell you when they received it and what timeframe they are currently processing now. So that gives you confirmation of receipt . . . and some ability to make sure you're still "in the queue".

It worked very well - no problems at all - not worth paying some firm to do for me.

~markb
bratzcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
and it included a partial refund ..... From the gubment!
The cynic in me says they probably only sent the refund because keeping the money would put their accounts out of balance.
Old 28-09-2016, 08:44   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The cynic in me says they probably only sent the refund because keeping the money would put their accounts out of balance.
Ah... With all due respect, I wouldn't view that as cynicism but rather as optimism. Think about it...when was the last time any US Government accounts were in balance?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:57   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm in Canada. When I bought my first boat, it was like $8 to transfer ownership. Now I think its $200. Change the port...$100. Any kind of change...$100. So the total for doing a boat transfer with new home port can easily be what you quoted. The wind might be free, but everything else is very expensive.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 10:06   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strypes View Post

YMMV

Cheers
Except that you can't just "skip it". The boat has to be de-documented, which as far as I know, is a process with about the same complication as a transfer, and then re-registered with the state. The overall process is much more complex than a simple documentation transfer.

I think you will find that the fees for a de-document, and re-registration with the state, are going to be more than a transfer would have been.

Also please note that you will spend the next 3 years answering letters from your local BOE about the use tax, and this year you'll get at least 3 property tax bills for the boat. Maybe that's just in California.

I strongly suggest that if the boat is documented, you keep it that way.
Old 28-09-2016, 10:25   #15

Boat: Baba 40

I'll do it for you for $1,000. Small unmarked bills, please...
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men