Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 04:48   #121
cruiser

Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

My little bit of advice:

If you don't have lots of money, you'll need to be very patient and be very handy with tools and fixing stuff. We spend at least one hour a day on fixing things or dealing with issues on the boat that would otherwise cost hundreds of dollars if we had to pay someone to do it. Mostly, its a leaky hose here or or a "why is there so much water in the toilet" there, but it's always something. You'll be working on a house that's surrounded by salt water that's trying to get in at all times.

Today, the issue is: Why did the starter battery for the outboard go dead? Tomorrow will be something different.

If you prefer an organized, stable, perfect environment with some adventure included... cruising is not for you.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:03   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 41 Year Old and Seeking a New Life in Sailing

1/Sailing is like swimming... and advocates are like fathers... some just pick you up and chuck you in the deep end... 'Swim ya lil $^*?...'
Most start you at the shallow end...
Get some edification...

2/ This aint a 'New Life'... its a new life style... don't come in with great expectations of white beaches, palm trees and dusky maidens..
You'll still be carrying the old baggage... and, what this life style brings quite often is a tougher life.. and greater stresses.. both mental and physical... some folk bloom... for many the dream withers and dies...

They're right when they say 'Anyone can Sail'.... I've worked for a Charity that took/taught kids with varying disabilities from Downs Syndrome, paraplegic to blind kids... it is truly a sport for all...
Its 'MENTAL'...
And.... its a lot harder than the 9-5... in every way..

My 0.000000000.01 centimes...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47   #123

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Some folks are so tired from the way they have been living, that they have decided to start a totally new life and leave their past behind. Cruising or living on a boat requires a change in the mindset, courage, seamanship knowledge and money. These folks should know that this new lifestyle will pose new challenges that may disappoint. It will not be a picnic in the park. Old salts have been providing real experiences and cautioning would-be lifestyle changers. Listen carefully and heed to their advice!
Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:36   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Did he say he wasn't going to take them on the adventure together?
I plan to take the kids along on any big trips. Maybe not every day sail I do.
Carolina Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47   #125

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I plan to take the kids along on any big trips. Maybe not every day sail I do.
Just remember though the more your kids sail the better which is why it's good to sail near home while they are young. You can possibly make your kids expert sailors by the time they are 17 years old while you learn. (they get to watch Dad screw up). Then when you do go on your long trips you will have someone that cares to listen to your adventures..............

Speaking of an expert sailor that learned from Dad:

Zac Sunderland, 17, becomes youngest person to sail around world alone - ESPN

And be careful of that Jimmy Buffet BS. I've seen these guys close up on Pensacola Beach hammered drunk with their families who knows where and their POS boats anchored nearby in the sweltering heat. They got no sleep the night before because all they could hear til like 1am was Johnson party of 5 from the restaurants:

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:50   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The grown up kid from the story above practicing.............yeah I'm freaking a bit cause I'm a dad remembering the good times.

That was REALLY good! You have reason to be proud.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:13   #127

Thank you but I was lucky. I made almost all the mistakes that I have pointed out to you.

The other side of the story is that my son become Capt'n at 15 or so and started making almost ALL his own decisions. I sure wish he had used that 75% academic scholarship he earned to any college in Florida. It was tough just keeping him in high school. Divorce does crazy stuff to teens.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25   #128

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Been in your shoes. Started sailing at 8, but never really got everything in order till 49. Still there is much to learn always. Study, read, practice and realize this is "your" life! Details mean everything.
What I did while getting prepared was build a boat corner. Put only things you want or need for the boat in this corner of house or apartment. Everything else is considered non essential for your conversion. Every so often, weed out things put in corner as you learn they are more of want than non-essential. Try not to buy twice. If you have it already and it is functional, and even better if multi-purpose, then no need to buy new. I have found plenty of free and near to nothing versus list cost items in new to near new condition.
As for the boat, it depends on what your ultimate use will be. Just anchorage, coastal or off to the far flung corners of the earth. Buy something you are capable of handling and most importantly capable of keeping you safe in the process. There is nothing on a boat that can not be learned, sailing wise or maintenance wise. Just do your homework and the rest will all fall into place! Good luck. Go do it!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34   #129

Quote:
And speaking of sailing and sailors, this guy gets credit for being a good sailor just because of the darn boat he sails which is one hell of a boat!

See link to article on Contessa 32 Assent:

Fastnet 79 - The winner's story | Yachting World

Then there's Contessa 32 Gigi that rounded Cape Horn:

Contessa 32 Gigi
These were great reads about Gigi adn Assent both Contessas.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17   #130

Quote:
Earlier it was said that you don't necessarily need a lot of experience to sail, and that is very true.

click top of picture for normal size video:

And yes, it's still pretty awesome looking.

Btw the dude changed his video 'cause it used to be accompanied by this music:

Hey Thomm, did this guy ever put the rest of this trip on video? I would like to check out the rest of his voyage
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My little bit of advice:

If you don't have lots of money, you'll need to be very patient and be very handy with tools and fixing stuff. We spend at least one hour a day on fixing things or dealing with issues on the boat that would otherwise cost hundreds of dollars if we had to pay someone to do it. Mostly, its a leaky hose here or or a "why is there so much water in the toilet" there, but it's always something. You'll be working on a house that's surrounded by salt water that's trying to get in at all times.

Today, the issue is: Why did the starter battery for the outboard go dead? Tomorrow will be something different.

If you prefer an organized, stable, perfect environment with some adventure included... cruising is not for you.
Hello Kennomac, I will be in the little money situation and will likely have to do as you describe above. In the beginning where there other sailors that were helpful in pointing you toward the solution to your problem? or where you on your own?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:45   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimea Cruiser View Post
Been in your shoes. Started sailing at 8, but never really got everything in order till 49. Still there is much to learn always. Study, read, practice and realize this is "your" life! Details mean everything.
What I did while getting prepared was build a boat corner. Put only things you want or need for the boat in this corner of house or apartment. Everything else is considered non essential for your conversion. Every so often, weed out things put in corner as you learn they are more of want than non-essential. Try not to buy twice. If you have it already and it is functional, and even better if multi-purpose, then no need to buy new. I have found plenty of free and near to nothing versus list cost items in new to near new condition.
As for the boat, it depends on what your ultimate use will be. Just anchorage, coastal or off to the far flung corners of the earth. Buy something you are capable of handling and most importantly capable of keeping you safe in the process. There is nothing on a boat that can not be learned, sailing wise or maintenance wise. Just do your homework and the rest will all fall into place! Good luck. Go do it!
Crimea, I have no dreams of being anchored for longer than I must. Coastal trips sound good but I really want to gain the skills and ability (money,boat, and etc) to explore "far flung corners of the earth".
Thanks for the advise about the "Boat Corner". I will do this?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:12   #133

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello everyone,

There have been some extremely perceptive and moving posts here, and I think they've been extraordinarily supportive. Good job, guys.

The age Carolina Blue is at is often a time of reassessment. Many hopes have not been fulfilled. And, I think it is easier to run away from hard problems than it is to face and try to solve them [a decision that no one else can make but the person involved]. Once you've done that, you'll never know what might have been had those problems been solved. I think that's what Boatman has been on about when he mentioned the "baggage" CB can bring to his new lifestyle.

It's one thing about life that the same old problems keep coming around. Eventually you start to recognize them and try and make adjustments. The boat things are relatively simple, mechanical, straightforward, and sometimes fun, too. The personality bits, less so, IME.

If there's a chance you and your wife could get together on the boat issue, I'd like to mention that there has been a lot of input previously on the forum relative to introducing women to sailing. Also, I think men, generally, could do themselves a big favor by treating the women in their life they'd like to sail with as if she were their best friend's wife, in terms of making it pleasant and fun, and care-taking her.

I'd like to second the advice, start small with or without your wife, have fun, include the kids, and see where that leads you.

Ann
Old 09-06-2013, 09:15   #134

Quote:
Hey Thomm, did this guy ever put the rest of this trip on video? I would like to check out the rest of his voyage
Yes, he's Nick Jaffe. (to New York)

www.bigoceans.com

I believe he went on to New York then maybe later to Hawaii. There used to be a video of him getting his Contessa 26 ready for the voyage. He eventually moved up to an Aries 32 which is now for sale. If the videos will not play there, you can usually find them on youtube. And they are always accompanied by good music.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47   #135
cruiser

Quote:
Hello Kenomac, I will be in the little money situation and will likely have to do as you describe above. In the beginning where there other sailors that were helpful in pointing you toward the solution to your problem? or where you on your own?
I've found there to be many helpful people along the way in the anchorages, there's no shortage of helpful advice, however, don't expect them to do the work for you. You'll need the basic mechanical, electrical and woodworking skills to build on.

The cruising crowd tends to lend a hand to one another, but... if you somehow end up in a marina... that can be a much different experience with the sharks circling and some pirates looking to take advantage of your situation. When I say pirates, I'm talking about the high paid, incompetent fools the locals won't hire; but as a newbee in town, it's difficult to tell the sharks from the experts some time. Also, it's really sort of a barter system where if a fellow cruiser helps you out, be prepared to give them a hand doing what you can... nothing is free.

Another poster claims that you really don't need much sailing experience... I think that's nonsense, as I've been playing dodge-boat all day in this anchorage in Menorca, with fools either dragging anchor into me or the idiot we towed off the rocks with our dinghy yesterday... only to have him drag into me within the hour.

You'll need to know what you're doing before you set out; otherwise, it will be you on the beach. I should have laid claim to that fool's boat.... not even a thank you from him after two hours time spent saving his British ass. But I guess I'm just repaying the karma from when a very nice powerboater named Steven helped me out whilst in Guernsey last summer :-)
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing