Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 13:50   #16

Re: 37' Herreshoff Meadowlark Ketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
Interesting handling under power, requiring a bow thruster - a 16' oak pole with a stout bronze boathook hung from the main spreader!
Interesting in what way? Difficulty in backing up? In turning in tight quarters at low speed?

Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 18:32   #17

Boat: J/36

There was a Meadowlark ketch in our harbor for many years. Looked quite intriguing. If you're looking for a liveaboard, make sure you stand up in the main cabin if you want to be comfortable.

psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 21:46   #18

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I think the standing headroom if the design was faithfully followed is 510. A belief that I was invulnerable lead me to get 2 inches shorter in a microsecond in 1998. I am now maximum height for a Meadowlark, I believe.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 22:33   #19

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Interesting in what way? Difficulty in backing up? In turning in tight quarters at low speed?
Really both, with inability to kick the stern to stbd with the engine due to the offset shaft, and needing some way on otherwise. Until the 16' "bow thruster" pole, docking in tight quarters was a 1-shot deal, fraught with humiliation! Having the boards down increased confidence, but in attempting to back out once with them down, they flew out into Dumbo-ear brakes due to their two-axis mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext-9.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	218394  
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 07:04   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I think the standing headroom if the design was faithfully followed is 510. A belief that I was invulnerable lead me to get 2 inches shorter in a microsecond in 1998. I am now maximum height for a Meadowlark, I believe.
They would be the original 33' design.

The Vaites redesign was 37' and had more headroom. Whether it's enough for me, we'll see when I scheduled a walk-thru.
Old 30-06-2020, 10:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
They would be the original 33' design.

The Vaites redesign was 37' and had more headroom. Whether it's enough for me, we'll see when I scheduled a walk-thru.

My Vaites '87 37' had standing headroom for a 6'-er like me only under the center "butterfly" hatch. I estimate 5' 9-10" max otherwise in the salon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00262001.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	218423  
Old 01-07-2020, 03:18   #22

There's one in Oregon for sale. I'd be all over that if I had a shop. In my opinion, it is not a west coast (U.S.) boat, at least above Pt. Conception. With respect to crossing the Gulf Stream, as always take note of the wind direction.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
There's one in Oregon for sale. I'd be all over that if I had a shop. In my opinion, it is not a west coast (U.S.) boat, at least above Pt. Conception. With respect to crossing the Gulf Stream, as always take note of the wind direction.

I've sailed the W. coast above and below Conception fairly extensively, and on several boats, including an S&S Swan 41. From Conception's Cojo anchorage jumping-off point, with the prevailing summer 15-20kt NW'erlies, you will be beat up thoroughly in a daytime passage well before you reach Monterey, and take refuge at the San Simeon anchorage about 90nm N of Conception. And sensibly either wait for a coastal trough with calm to mild SE winds, or go for it at night under power when the NW flow lays down as those in-the-know do.

I'd have no qualms at all doing this in my old Meadowlark w/ 25HP Westebeake, leeboards up, with it's 7.5' WL beam and 35' WL length. W. coast weather is far more predictable than summer E. coast with it's violent thunderstorms, which I know way too much about...
Old 11-07-2020, 13:01   #24

So, I did a walk-thru, today.

Looks to be in better shape than appeared in the pictures.

Would need a lot of work. I'd want to pretty much rebuild the interior.

Concerning headroom - I'm 6'1", and I can stand along the centerline. And given how narrow the boat is, that's pretty much the only place to stand.

It apparently had two engines, originally. One was removed. The existing diesel works, so I'd probably not mess with it. But should it fail, is consider replacing it with an electric. And putting in two small electrics is an option worth considering. Might make close quarters maneuvering easier.

Lots of room in the engine compartment, for two motors, batteries, even a generator.

Tags
ketch