Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 05:46   #46

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: 34' Sailboat Capsizes in SF Bay 100 Yards From Marina

OMG Where was the Nanny State.

I cannot believe the number of people on here who right away ask where are the rules? There must be a rule? Why isn't there a rule? Let's make a rule!!!

Well there is an all encompassing rule that would cover this situation and that is Criminal Negligence causing --------.

This rules covers everything and is the only rule you need.

We have been in Australia for 18 months. They have lots of rules here. Never seen any active water enforcement in our entire time here. The only enforcement vessel that has ever approached us was when we were at anchor who turned out to be Park Rangers. They asked us if we fish and when we told them no they went away. We have cruised from Darwin to Pittwater and everywhere is the same.

That would never happen in the US and Canada.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:55   #47

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I wonder about the " intent" of the owner. Profit is a powerful motivator. During the short interview I saw, the owner, did speak with the press, and was being very up front about the incident. It was my impression that he was not at the helm at the time of the incident.

What amuses me is when I'm down at Moss Landing on my boat, I'm amused when the Whale Watchers, are boarded onto a simple pontoon boat and head out into the bay to whale watch.

Same scenario, as the pontoon boat is maybe 30 feet, and their are usually 25/30 people on the boat. I don't know the specific rules, and this pontoon boat may well be within get its abilities.

I just know that I'm not about to put my grandchildren or family members on that set up, as after an accident it's to late to,re-do the event.

Sometimes the laws are clear as mud. Often in those times, the " moral" responsibility lies with each of as as responsible adults, and patriarchs of our families.

Regarding the whale watching boats, at moss landing, their is no way, I would put my grand children on that boat, Leathal or not. Comes down to a gut feeling, or the vessel,simply dosent pass the " sniff test", we sense something isn't right.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:07   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I'm very surprised that so many find this story humorous.

A fellow sailor lost their boat and a five year old boy remains in the hospital after almost drowning.

This was a near tragedy and I was hoping that local CF members might have better information than the news is reporting.

Shameful if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
First, not a sailor. A "skipper" at best. Idiot, more likely.

Not a "fellow" or a peer. Owning a boat does not a boater make.

I've read some Shakespeare, and this does not qualify as a tragedy, near or otherwise. It would have qualified for the Darwin Awards though.
The facts are in the 2nd quote...
Not a sailor OR skipper
Not MY peer

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:24   #49

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Happy, thumbs up. I needed a chuckle this morning. I need to clarify something, I'm a retired cop, and I could care less about rules, and nanny state rules or regs. Or Victorian rules.

Our creator gave us logic, the ability to make reasonable logical choices, in our daily lives.

I'll close with this observation. Not all RETARDS, were born with low IQ's. Some folks worked hard to achieve that status.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:02   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Gee, and to think that the same reporters are writing up political analysis and stories. No wonder we're in a mess we're in as a country.
Gee, one would think that in SF somebody would know the difference. Wait, the SF Chronicle fired it's last "waterfront" (i.e., sailing) reporter, Kimball Livingston, a great writer, many, many years ago.

No wonder they don't know the difference.

Thank goodness Latitude 38 does.

http://latitude38.com/lectronic/lect...0#.V_zwQqJxNzk

I'm in the "can't fix stupid" camp. I sailed there for 35 years, and stopped going out for Fleet Week. It was like driving on New Years Eve. Downright dangerous. One time some a$$hole on an Ericson 35 tried to cross me sailing on port tack when I was on starboard. His excuse, as he barely crossed me after I had to duck? "I thought I could make it."

Sheez.....
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:13   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
I'm very surprised that so many find this story humorous.

A fellow sailor lost their boat and a five year old boy remains in the hospital after almost drowning.

This was a near tragedy and I was hoping that local CF members might have better information than the news is reporting.

Shameful if you ask me.
Agreed, just as thinking denigrating a nation of people is a joke, over and over and the moron doing the denigrating is the only one laughing.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:14   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having owned both power and sailboats and knowing what a powerboat undersides looks like, th ereporters are drunk and notknowing difference, anf thr owner is grossly negligent fo rhaving overloaded the flybridge--it is difficult to have 3 peeps on a flying bridge of a 38 ft boat, how can a seriosly overloaded flying bridge ever keep stability in a boat. there is a point at which the overloading will cause difficulties--they found that edge..
as for water taxis being overloaded--they have no flying bridges to cause fail in upright status of boat during wakes. tip--over.
oops.
was damned uncomfortable in choppy seas on top of flying bridge--why ye think i has a sailboat ha ha ha ha ha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Gee, and to think that the same reporters are writing up political analysis and stories. No wonder we're in a mess we're in as a country.
No kidding!

If anyone on that boat had even the remotest of ties to Trump, the entire media would be blaming him for nearly killing 30,000 people on a 34' sailboat. (intentional error.)

That reminds me, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I saw a news story saying they wanted to cancel the Blue Angels air show because they were loud, scary, dangerous, war mongering, burned too much jet fuel, etc etc. All of the typical hand wringing that goes on up there.

Here it is, a city supervisor. Where the hell do they find these clowns?

San Francisco Lawmaker Wants to Ban Blue Angels from Flying over City | Military.com

Quote:
In the wake of last week's fatal Blue Angels jet crash in Tennessee, a San Francisco lawmaker wants to ban the famed F/A-18 fighter jets from being able to fly over his city -- and, in his words, "strafe neighborhoods."

City Supervisor John Avalos, who long has waged a public battle decrying the squadron's aerial acrobatics over San Francisco -- at one point calling them loud "killing machines" -- has introduced a nonbinding resolution to require the jets to only fly over the bay.

He says the ban on flights over populated areas is needed to protect residents, and give them peace of mind.

"It's about them crashing and hitting a building -- a place where people live," Avalos told the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's about the terror that they cause in people when they strafe neighborhoods. That's something I hear about all the time when Blue Angels fly overhead."

While facing plenty of Twitter backlash for his comments, Avalos claimed a majority of residents oppose the flyovers that take place during the annual Fleet Week in October.

Despite his complaints, Avalos told the Chronicle he expects the resolution, which he introduced on Tuesday, will not pass.

Avalos' office did not respond to calls for comment. A Navy spokesman also did not return a request for comment on the proposal.

It is not the first time Avalos was part of a move to ban the Blue Angels.

As a staffer for then-Supervisor Chris Daly in 2007, Avalos reportedly helped write a similar resolution that never moved beyond the committee level.

Last year, Avalos used Fleet Week as an opportunity to launch an all-out Twitter assault on the military.

Even in a city of colorful politicians, Avalos is good at grabbing headlines.

In 2012, he was conflicted over whether to name a ship after Harvey Milk, one of the nation's first openly gay politicians, who was gunned down by a colleague in 1978. Avalos wondered how Milk might have felt about the idea, so he used a Ouija board to solicit his opinion.

The Board ended up backing the resolution to name a ship after Milk, who had served in the Navy before getting a seat on the Board of Supervisors.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:40   #54

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris151e

Latitude 38's write up of this event was more informative and corrected the mainstream news in that it was a power boat that sank. Many passengers on the fly bridge and bow combined with a multitude of wakes from the high traffic on Fleetweek Weekend seems to be the cause.
Chris151e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:28   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
"Hey guys!!, look at that whale off the port side!"
Aside from the fact you don't see to many whales in the bay Panope was right on.

I have no idea why people think this comment was in poor taste, maybe they need to change the brand of their beer.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:47   #56

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well, for one, it wasn't a sailboat.
My view of the video was spotty, but I came to the same conclusion.

Also sounds as if there were some good boaters in the rescues, and the captain of the capsized vessel may be (or should be?) in trouble.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:13   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Not sure how you stack 30 peoe on a small
34 footer? Sounds like a Twitter truth?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:43   #58

Looks like it's not the first time a Silverton 34 has capsized : this is the same model that went over in the nasty accident at the New York fireworks show, in 2012.

Silverton sinking: Were 27 people too many to carry? | Soundings Online

An interesting discussion of stability of the model :

Capacity, Stability, Safety Of Large Boats - Seaworthy Magazine - BoatUS

and another :

SPECIAL REPORT: Analysis of a capsizing | Trade Only Today

So the knowledge was available that 15 people was about the limit, that 27 would make it capsize, and that 3 children died as a result of that accident.

So this skipper put 30 people on board?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Well, for one, it wasn't a sailboat.
For sure. Just a plastic twin hull power boat. Good to see that adults grabbed the life preservers away from the little kids. Grown men first, kids last. Survival of the fittest evidently rules out west.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:59   #60

Stupidity never ceases. We recently had a couple and their young son rent a small powerboat on the South River near Annapolis. His hat blew off so he stopped the boat (or so he thought) and jumped overboard to retrieve it. No PFD and he couldn't swim. The boat was still in gear and his companion knew nothing about the boat so it idled away from him. He drowned in front of his companion and kid. A very sad and preventable tragedy.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, sail, sailboat, sf bay, size