Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2021, 08:11   #1

23 ft sailboat to 33 ft sailboat: What's the difference?

Hi all,

Maybe I am getting in my own head. I have a lot of experience on keel boats in the 20-25 ft range. In fact I've docked boats like this engineless dozens of times single handed. Think Catalina 22, Com Pac 23, and boats of that nature

What's the biggest change when going up to a boat in the 30-35 ft range. I'd imagine the biggest one is just not being able to manhandle things and going from the helm to the bow takes longer.

I guess the real question is given my experience how concerned should I be about this. Is it a big jump or just a small jump and a matter of getting behind the helm and going for it.

I realize that the list of things could be expansive and I could be overthinking it but any thoughts on things to look out for and biggest differences would be a great help.

Thank you everyone for your input.
SmokedGouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:25   #2

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
Re: 23 ft sailboat to 33 ft sailboat: What's the difference?

This may sound dumb but with all your experience can't you bum some rides/crew on next size up?

I'm far from an expert but to get things going... other fairly obvious factors include:
- systems (head, engine,, batteries/electronics)
- backing up under motor/prop wash
- draft/depth and related navigation
- anchoring
- likelihood of encountering more difficult conditions (wind and waves) if exploring further afield
- rules of the road may be more important

And, yes, manhandling a whole different deal whether sheets, sails, or mass when docking.

However, at least in my experience, essential sailing aspects are same, even switching to a wheel.

Curious what others will say!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:27   #3

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser

Oh yes, man overboard drills/recovery likely to be tougher too!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:28   #4

You can definitely learn by doing, but you do need to be careful as things handle very differently. As you already mentioned - it's harder to manhandle a boat in 30ft range. I had no issue docking 22 under sail, but my 32 is way different because there is more momentum, takes longer to put the sail away, more effort and more area to cover if things are not going right. Using rudder to slow down is also less effective compared to a smaller and lighter boat.

Lastly, just because you did it with sails alone on a 22, doesn't mean you have to do the same on a larger boat. I don't even try to come in a very tight slip under sail when it's crowded enough that I sometimes need to do a 3 point turn under engine.

As far as general sailing, anchoring, approaches, MOB, etc - i honestly didn't feel it was much different. Docking was one significant difference though.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

The length?
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:47   #6

Boat: Norseman 400

"23 ft to 33 ft sailboat: What's the difference?"

Just like asking, "Three inches or six inches. What's the difference?"

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:52   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 23 ft sailboat to 33 ft sailboat: What's the difference?

As has been said above..
General handling of things at sea is pretty much the same, however I don't feel things like MOB etc are harder.
For me they are simpler, the extra weight helps the boat stay on station longer and not get blown off by wind and sea as easily as the smaller boat for MOB, picking up moorings etc.
Docking, the extra weight is used by hitting neutral before turning into the slip and using the weight to keep forward momentum for entry and reverse tick over to slow you further till you need the revs to stop.. you can still manhandled her, just not as easily..
You have better control on a bigger boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:54   #8

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

Having gone from 25' to 30' to 37' to 44', I can say with some authority that as the length and displacement of the boat goes up, your mistakes get a lot more expensive.

It doesn't matter whether we are talking about mistakes in ship handling, outfitting, maintenance or whatever, mistakes get a lot more expensive.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:57   #9

I went from a 28 ft boat to a 39 ft boat. Many things were different and many things were the same. The same basic principals apply, it's just the timing that is different. It takes more to get it moving from a stop. It takes more to get it to stop when moving. boat reaction to rudder change is slower.

When you're approaching a dock and throw it into reverse, it will take longer for the boat to react, therefore you need to take actions earlier. take action in a 33 like you're in a 23 and expect to hit to the dock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 08:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Yes and the biggest mistake is to buy a small boat when you need a medium or large one.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:01   #11

There is going to be some learning curve to go through, but certainly doable.
I think the biggest difference is going to be maneuvering in the marina under engine.
It can be learnt just by trying, but I'd recommend to hire a captain for a couple of hours to go through some basic drills and docking situations and give you some tips that would be very valuable.
Learning to handle larger sails and rig is going to be relatively easy.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:02   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedGouda View Post
.........I have a lot of experience on keel boats in the 20-25 ft range...........What's the biggest change when going up to a boat in the 30-35 ft range...........I guess the real question is given my experience how concerned should I be about this. Is it a big jump or just a small jump and a matter of getting behind the helm and going for it.........
The major differences are more displacement and longer waterline length for a smoother, more comfortable and faster sail, larger cockpit and cabin, better sleeping accommodations, larger head/shower and generally higher expenses for berthing, sails, rigging, etc. You should NOT BE concerned moving to a larger sailboat as this is not a BIG jump. Get behind the helm and GO FOR IT!!
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:06   #13

Boat: Pearson 34

The biggest difference we discovered was the added COMFORT! Instead of two hours of driving for a daysail, we now make it a three-day weekend! Enjoy the difference!
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:06   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokedGouda View Post

Maybe I am getting in my own head. I have a lot of experience on keel boats in the 20-25 ft range.
What's the biggest change when going up to a boat in the 30-35 ft range.
From 20-25 up to a 33, the change is nominal. IMHO, the 30-35 size is easier as it takes more wind to move them about when docking. It has more mass, so it will be more comfortable in a chop.

Costs go up, the sails are bigger- therefore the forces go up, and most will be powered by an inboard diesel- so prop walk is much more pronounced.

If you can back a 20-25 into a slip the 30-35 will not be much different. If you can't a few hours with a good captain or very skilled sailor to help would be prudent.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:07   #15

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
The major differences are more displacement and longer waterline length for a smoother, more comfortable and faster sail, larger cockpit and cabin, better sleeping accommodations, larger head/shower and generally higher expenses for berthing, sails, rigging, etc. You should NOT BE concerned moving to a larger sailboat as this is not a BIG jump. Get behind the helm and GO FOR IT!!
+1. My first boat was a 33' sloop. It felt huge for a couple of weeks. I took it slow, made a few easily resolvable mistakes and never looked back. Next size up for me was 49' then 72'.

You can do it. Everything is easier at 33' than 23' plus you have space etc, as noted. Practical observations are that you will start to appreciate the use of winches rather than hauling by hand. 33' is still small enough that you can man-handle it into or out of a slip.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, enc, sail, sailboat