Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2014, 12:10   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
2014 Single Handed Transpac Racers

There seems to always be a surprise or two with the boats these guys use in this race, and this year is no exception.

The race is from San Francisco to Hawaii.

Racers | Singlehanded TransPac

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=546
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 20:14   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: 2014 Single Handed Transpac Racers

Do you know anything about the sailor or are you just questioning that particular boat for making the crossing? There was, after all, Blackfeathers, a Cal 20 that did this race. I understand that going over there is not too crazy; coming back is a whole 'nother story...
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 22:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

The Dana 24 is a much bigger suprize... Ignoring the size, that thing is dog slow.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 23:27   #4

These races and handicaps are interesting. I remember some years back when a Westsail 32 won its division and there was quite an uproar. I'm not sure but I think the PHRF rating had a lot to play in the ratings game. Remember that these ratings are based on a triangle course and boats like the Westsail 32 do not do well on the windward legs but given enough wind down wind they will sail well above their rating hence the results.
Looking at the pictures many of these guys are no longer spring chickens, good on them!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 23:33   #5

Gamayan

You are of course correct, sailing to Hawaii is a cake walk but sailing back to BC is often a whole lot different. Made that passage 4 times now and never had a passage that didn't have a little butt kick in it.
Old 19-03-2014, 00:11   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well,

As a member of the female persuasion, I was pleased to see the lady's choice of boat, and I wish all of them well, but especially her!

And as to the Dana, well, of course it's slow, what's it's waterline length? 19 ft.? There used to be a number of "pocket cruisers", the Dana was one of them, and the Flicka; and there are undoubtedly others I know not of.

Ann
Old 19-03-2014, 04:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Do you know anything about the sailor or are you just questioning that particular boat for making the crossing? There was, after all, Blackfeathers, a Cal 20 that did this race. I understand that going over there is not too crazy; coming back is a whole 'nother story...
Actually I'm not questioning anything, and don't care about that particular sailor.

I just think this race is great and would love to do it one day. The race is also over 2000 miles and it's being done single handed.

Also, that Cal 20 weighs in about the same as that Capri 25. The Dana 24 is built like a brick sh.......outhouse (7400 disp) but unfortunately probably sails terribly and it will be super slow. PHRF 243. The Capri has a rating of 174 with a displacement around 2900lbs. It should rock and roll (go fast) off the wind with the spinnaker up.

I just get a kick out the way these guys go out and cross 2000 miles of open ocean (blue water) on most any type of boat as compared to some here on CF.

Have you ever checked out one of the threads concerned with which boats are Water boats">Blue Water Boats? Some folks damn near need a cruise ship to go to the Bahamas.

Of course, it probably does take a special individual to go sound asleep on a boat with a displacement of 2900lbs and ballast of 900lbs cruising at around 7 or 8 knots with the spinnaker flying 1000 miles off shore.
Old 19-03-2014, 04:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
These races and handicaps are interesting. I remember some years back when a Westsail 32 won its division and there was quite an uproar. I'm not sure but I think the PHRF rating had a lot to play in the ratings game. Remember that these ratings are based on a triangle course and boats like the Westsail 32 do not do well on the windward legs but given enough wind down wind they will sail well above their rating hence the results.
Looking at the pictures many of these guys are no longer spring chickens, good on them!
(And) Based on some of the other races, it appears it's mainly a broad reaching/downwind race. They are running spinnakers etc much of the way.
Old 19-03-2014, 04:31   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

thom225,

Some may not fly their chutes at night while they're sleeping. Yet, it is a lovely downwind run.......

Ann
Old 19-03-2014, 04:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
thom225,

Some may not fly their chutes at night while they're sleeping. Yet, it is a lovely downwind run.......

Ann
Ann,

You may be right but most of the racers I know (even though they are not single handed offshore racers) will do anything and everything to win! It's just the racer mentality.

Plus some of these guys only sleep for like 20-30 minutes at a time. Then wake up to check the sails etc and make slight adjustments.

Tom
Old 19-03-2014, 06:15   #11

Also speaking of boats in the race, how about the Pearson Renegade 27. Probably not the first boat you would think of for an offshore race.

And the rest of the boats that have raced:

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-web...tsThru2012.pdf
Old 19-03-2014, 06:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
thom225,

Ann
there is a whole section on sleep in this guide. They also have one on autopilots...........go figure:

http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/SSS...lot_011314.pdf
Old 19-03-2014, 06:37   #13

Here's a good story about a return trip after the SHTP which is probably more suited to those on the CF Forum. It seems much more enjoyable than the racing actually.

http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/kam...ce-the-fun.pdf

from the article:

10) My favorite swimming hole is the North Pacific. When you sail through the middle of the high, there will be days when you are staring at your reflection in the ocean for hours. Go for a swim with your snorkeling gear. Swim away from the boat and look back to see how clear the water is. Drop a penny and watch it sink for a mile. It's awesome. (But leave the helm locked over to one side, and trail a long line...)
Old 19-03-2014, 06:52   #14

Good write up on the trip back from Hawaii. Going through the high works for those heading to Southern California but if your going to northern ports such as BC your much better off staying on top of the high pressure. The downside is that the lows are tracking there as well so gales are common at any time of the year but unless you have lots of diesel its about the only sure way to sail home.
Old 19-03-2014, 18:38   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

I've been attending the SSS TransPac seminars and talking to those who plan to go this year. Check out the equipment they are required to have on these boats, it is probably more than most circumnavigators. Not only are they single handing, but they are expected to self rescue, if need be. There aren't too many pickups between SF and Kauai. I'm hoping to try it in two years when I hope to have my boat ready and would feel more comfortable about single handing that kind of distance. The stories one hears from the racers are soooo compelling.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race, racer, single