Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2019, 11:00   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Year round protected anchorages in Bocas del Toro panama

Those are reasonable options for 'cane season too. Not effectively hurricane free like the Rio or Panama, but low probability. Same 32.5M radius search attached, but centered just E of the ABC's, shows 13 recorded tracks.

You can also cruise this route in the Summer months with low risk so all the above is an option too. Easy downwind sailing. Once you get past the ABC's and into Colombia you are effectively clear of hurricane risk (same search nets 1 track, ever).
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190824-124856_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	198564
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 08:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The last 2 years we have hauled at Grenada Marine in St David’s Bay, Grenada. Our insurance wanted a rider for Grenada, it was ~$100, but they had only a limited quantity. No Anchorage in St David’s, but there is in bags further West. I’ve heard it said Grenada is the most expensive place to get work done in the Caribbean, that might be true. Curiacou Island May also be an alternative, it has a large mooring field.

Our plan as if today is to do sail up to St Martin for some work but over winter in the ABC’s, Curacou. Then the following winter move from Curacou to Rio and haul there. My only reservation with this plan is giving up all that wasting, we came down the thorny path and I don’t want to repeat that. Wife doesn’t like long passages. That and not sure where we would go next.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 13:09   #18

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=hpeer. Wife doesn’t like long passages. That and not sure where we would go next.

The Rio looks like a hole that's hard to leave, but you could cruise for years while based there. Some boats will do it forever. The trip back up to the USA can be done in almost day sails till it's time to leave MX. Even then, there is Cuba.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 13:53   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

All of these islands except Bonaire have good anchorages, Grenada and Curacao have excellent ones. Trinidad's Chaguaramas Bay can get busy. Bonaire restricts anchoring, you must be on a mooring.

The problem, as I see it, with these countries, is that your stay, over six months, is limited to a "good reason" such as having work done.

It's not easy to move to a country and stay there semi-permanently without going through some sort of immigration action. Panama seems to make it a bit easier. You can leave and come back in some countries and renew your cruising permit or visa, although some countries limit stays to 180 days within a 365 day period. You can try to go under the radar but being deported is not fun.

So, to be honest, finding a country which allows illegal immigration (as opposed to actual tourist visas) is going to be more difficult than finding a good harbor.
Old 22-09-2019, 14:02   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Thank you belizesailor for your awesome input! Does cartagena have safe anchorages around any good snorkeling spots? I want to stay out of marinas as much as possible!!
Cartagena is a fantastic city which has a fair anchorage which is subject to violent squalls and poor holding, plus the water is biologically active (stuff grows amazingly fast). You would not want to snorkel there. There are other places in Colombia with good anchorages near nice snorkeling, such as Isla Rosarios and Cholon. Colombia's long tern stay (TIP) can be extended to 24 months. It is a bit of a hassle and requires an agent to obtain it. Read Noonsite.
Old 29-04-2020, 10:59   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

This is a slightly old thread. Looking for info about being aboard in rainy season in Bocas. It gets 3x the rainfall of Ft Lauderdale which is pretty wet and sticky in the summer. Is it bearable without AC?

Tags
Panama, rot