Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11   #16

From what I have heard in the past ......they ( Belizean Authorities) usually grumble and are condescending about your plight sometimes followed by a $50.00 fine. What else can they do....?
Relaxoffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2010, 10:28   #17

Perhaps.......wise.......
Old 29-04-2010, 20:52   #18

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Xcalak, Majahual Not Processing Check In/Out

We are currently sailing north, and stopped in Xcalak to check into Mexico. The Port Captaina informed me that as of 4/26/10 she can no longer process entry or exit for yachts. She did type and stamp a statement on the back of my Belize zarpe granting permission for us to enter Mexico pending formalities at a port of entry. We spent two nights on a mooring in Xcalak to let my sick First Mate rest, and found it fairly well sheltered behind the reef. The pass is very narrow and requires settled conditions and good light. The village is essentially dead. We sailed to Majahual, based upon the PC's advice that we would find a good anchorage and could process in there. She was wrong on both issues. The PC in Majahual informed me that he could not process us, there is no Immigration Officer, and that we should just defer until Isla Mujeres. There is no sheltered anchorage for yachts, due to very shallow water behind the reef. We draw 4.5' and just barely got in and tied up to a concrete dock which the Navy uses for their Interceptor boats. Then there was mucho discussion and negotiation over letting us use the only dock space that could accommodate our draft. My recommendation is for yachts to bypass both Xcalak and Majahual.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 08:05   #19

Very good advice, My wife and I no longer own the house in front of the cut referred to as The Upper Deck ,as a result we are no longer able to help with talking /radio assistance involved in crossing the cut into the harbor. The previous post aptly describes the cautionary notes. Stopping in to rest is not a problem usually however gaining entry papers has become a resent issue and it seems that they no longer wish to provide that service.........or any others for that matter. I recommend reading between the lines in this case. Travel Safe!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:41   #20

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Well, at least I now know what The Upper Deck was. We called on the VHF and I walked the town looking for such an establishment.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico