Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2018, 17:04   #16

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Wintering over in the AICW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner-dovb View Post
Hello Quadrille in JB, this looks sensible. I will be prepared!
Thank You very much
Norbert

Looks simple enough, but I wouldn't want to stress my mast hardware (ie sheaves, etc), standing rigging, chain plates, and halyards with these huge loads. I doubt that masts are designed for that kind of vertical load. If something breaks it may not be immediately obvious (setting up an ugly dismasting or blown halyard later), and would certainly not be cheap to fix. Just MHO - I'd consider an outside passage, or shortening my mast if you really want to use the ICW a lot. Guess I'm just a Nervous Nellie.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 18:00   #17

Why not lie in the Bahamas until May? It’s a 1200 mile trip to Rhode Island that can be done in three easy 400 mile offshore legs (Bahamas to Charleston, Charleston to Norfolk, Norfolk to Block Island). In May the trip is usually great as the summer southerlies will have filled in.

Spring comes slowly to New England because the water is so cold. Too early and it will be raw, windy with lots fog. No reason to arrive in Southern New England before May 15 and don’t go to Maine or Nova Scotia before July 1.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 23:14   #18

Hello CarlF, going offshore would be an alternative, but I prefer the ICW for touristic reasons. And I want to reach the Strait of Belle Isle as soon as it is passable, which is usually by the end of May. Sometimes it will be open much earlier, in that case I want to be present.
Greetings
Norbert
mariner-dovb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw