Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 13:39   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Where to Leave Boat in Caribbean

We are planning to sail to the Caribbean in November and plan to leave the boat somewhere for December and then go back after holidays.

Where would be a logical place to leave the boat in the Leeward Islands or US Virgin Islands? Concerns are simplicity, convenience of air travel back and forth, cost, but most importantly the safety of the vessel while we're gone. We have thought about Puerto Rico, but interested in other suggestions for Islands and marinas.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:43   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Since it is a USA boat, Fajardo Puerto Rico or Puerto del Rey just south would be good. Over in the US Virgins there are reasonable long term dockage at the marinas in St Thomas at Benner Bay. Or you can haul the boat at one of the boatyards in these places and get the bottom down while you are away.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 18:53   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
What does the documentation/registration have to do with it? I have looked at prices on Puerto Rico, USVI, and BVI and think where I'm at in Oyster Pond, St. Martin is very reasonable. I can also recommend a person to monitor the boat in your absence if your interested. It covers all your concerns, air, convenience, and safe (the marina)
Old 19-02-2011, 03:51   #4

Thanks...good suggestions. Actually looked at Fajardo Puerta Del Ray when I was there for a wedding in December. That looks like a secure place. Very protected and good security.

St Maartin sounds good too. I'll check out Oyster Pond.

Thanks
Old 19-02-2011, 03:59   #5

Is it Captain Oliver's Marina at Oyster Pond? I didn't easily find the marina via Google.
Old 19-02-2011, 07:22   #6

Yes. It takes up most of the pond.

Another marina you may want to check into is Sunbay in Farhado (sp) PR. They gave me a price which was the best I received between Puerto del Ray, Palmas del Mar, and them. I think it's closest to the airport also. There is a bunch of stores for provisioning right there also. And, it probably is the easiest (though none are hard) to use to get to the Spanish Virgins.
sunbaymarina@aol.com

I like Captain Olivers because I've developed a friendship with many of the people there. I have someone watching my boat all the time and on it at least twice per week. They have two security guards on staff at night and the gendarmes are housed right there so the crime is very low. You can hire one of the Moorings/Sunsail dock hands to clean your boat and will feel guilty about how cheap it is. Pascal is the dock master and can be contaced at:
Renold Pascal [paco.2009@hotmail.com]

It's a nice staging point for the three islands there. We have been sailing to Anguilla then to St. Bart's. There really is quite a lot of places to explore.
Old 19-02-2011, 07:22   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
How about trying to avoid being hit by a hurricane? Trinidad, Curacao, Colombia, Panama.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bowman 57 - Aleria
You will also find good and secure places to leave your boat in St Lucia and or course in Grenada, which is where we considered leaving our boat for the summer.
goincruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:03   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Some leave their boats of reefs or mud banks. There is a wonderful channel marker guiding you from the St Martin Lagoon into the French bridge channel - a mast.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:18   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goincruisin View Post
You will also find good and secure places to leave your boat in St Lucia and or course in Grenada, which is where we considered leaving our boat for the summer.
good? sure; secure? as in hurricane secure? no way !

ciao!
Nick.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:25   #11

Jedi, the op's date of arrival is November so very little need for concern. If ease of air transportation is a requirement, PR, USVI, and SXM are probably the best options.

Mark, there's a couple of those up by Pinel also. It really cracks me up that they don't care enough to remove sunken and abandoned boats. It probably is even worse that there are about 50 more that are hanging on by a bandaid waiting to sink.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How about trying to avoid being hit by a hurricane? Trinidad, Curacao, Colombia, Panama.

cheers,
Nick.
One other point is the op's main concern was safety of the boat while they where gone. While it's been debated here ALOT, Columbia, Trinidad, and Panama would be pretty low on most lists for security while unattended.
Old 19-02-2011, 12:19   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
One other point is the op's main concern was safety of the boat while they where gone. While it's been debated here ALOT, Columbia, Trinidad, and Panama would be pretty low on most lists for security while unattended.
Yah, another post put me on the wrong period. But who told who that it ain't safe/secure in Colombia or Panama to leave your boat? They are two of the best places I can think of. Trinidad... I hear it has changed there since our last visit in 2004.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 21-02-2011, 07:56   #14

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Where to Leave Boat in Caribbean

We leave our boat at Anse Marcel St Martin. Very secure and very pretty. Reasonably priced and very nice people. The marina there is now called the Radisson Marina. St Martin has all the service providers and chandleries and it has some of the best air access in the entire Caribbean.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 08:10   #15

Re: Where to Leave Boat in Caribbean

Ya know, I really like Anse Marcel. The channel is pretty narrow for my beam but I have to agree with you on all your points. My impression was that it was much more expensive then Oyster Pond. It's a great spot to head out to Anguilla from.

My friend was the captain of the Scoobi's for several years and my daughter is doing a Broadreach expedition this summer. Say Hello if you see us.

Tags
Caribbean