Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 17:32   #1

Where to Charter in the Caribbean?

Well we are looking to bareboat charter somewhere in the carribean? Most likely from the Moorings. But I wouldnt know where to begin to pick as far as the location. Looking to go for a week, and want the best sailing, snorkeling experience we can get. Where would you suggest? Is there a place to avoid? A place cheaper vs expensive to go to?

Thanks in advance,
Conrad
Conrad30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 17:54   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Try BVI for your first trip.
Old 20-07-2009, 18:09   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Ditto BVIs
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 18:16   #4

Why there over say... st lucia..
Old 20-07-2009, 18:17   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
tritto - BVIs for first exposure.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 18:19   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
BVIs = Tortola
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 18:58   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad30 View Post
Well we are looking to bareboat charter somewhere in the carribean? Most likely from the Moorings. But I wouldnt know where to begin to pick as far as the location. Looking to go for a week, and want the best sailing, snorkeling experience we can get. Where would you suggest? Is there a place to avoid? A place cheaper vs expensive to go to?

Thanks in advance,
Conrad
It would be helpful to know about your prior experience, Conrad. The BVIs are ideal for a first-time bareboater, and it's a location with plenty to keep you and your family entertained for a week, though a week isn't really long enough for the BVIs or any other location you might select.

It's impossible to know from your post if "the best sailing" means that you are already an experienced sailor and really like to sail on the edge. If your family concurs, then the Windwards will offer the most stimulating sailing. The Sir Francis Drake Channel in the BVIs isn't known as the "bathtub of the Caribbean" for no reason.

But if your experience is limited, and this represents a first big step, then the BVI is the right place for you and your family, IMO. It's hard to get in trouble there, and help is always very close at hand.

It would also be nice to know when you plan to do your bareboat trip. The time of year can play a very important part in helping you decide where you want to go.

TaoJones
Old 20-07-2009, 19:07   #8

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
TaoJones said it perfectly. A week isn't very long. Many times you can eat up time clearing in and out of islands and the sail between some can be long for first timers. In the BVI you clear in and out at the airport and have a variety of lovely day trips from island to island. There are some very nice snorkle sites. If you want to eat on land at night there are many great anchorages that will suit you. If anchoring experience is limited you can pick up mooring balls. Pick up a copy of Virgin Anchorages!
Old 20-07-2009, 20:02   #9

As far as experience, I cant say there is a lot at this point. Racing a hobie is the limit of my experience. Planned on taking the ASA bareboat class here in a month or so.

The plan for now is next Feb.

But at the same time, I want to be able to do some good sailing, not sit around at 3-4 knots..
Old 21-07-2009, 05:56   #10

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Have you ever crewed an a keel boat? Have you ever anchored overnight?

Start working with the Moorings right away, you need to complete a resume of your experience to charter a boat. If they turn you down you will have time to shop around.
Old 21-07-2009, 06:08   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I have done the BVI twice. Once in a charter in 1990, and on my own boat passing through in 03. You will find plenty of wind in Feb. You will need to understand reefing that time of the year, and be effecient at it too. There will be no lack of wind unless the world turns topsy turvy. The BVI is an excellent place for a first time charter. I have to agree 7 days is not enough. Do your best to at least get 10 days. At the end of 7 you will just be getting into the swing of things, and no be ready to leave......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 06:25   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
TaoJones said it all, so I'll simply second his motion. You can't go wrong by choosing the BVI for your first Caribbean charter. Or second, or third...
Old 21-07-2009, 07:32   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
BVI. Hands down, based on what you said your experience is. You WILL have a great time.

Also as noted, get with the Moorings or whoever you are going to use, and be up front. They WILL find out exactly how much you know once you get down there - in their briefings - and they much prefer the up-front approach. You can also have them supply a captain for the first day or two - they like that as well.

You might also try bviyachtcharters. They are a smaller, second tier company - but you may like their personal approach better.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 09:18   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
For your Conrad30 BVI is the only place ,as to sailing resume, I found they give out bareboats to almost anyone. You may find a flotilla week might be better, at your experience level. There is plently of wind in the BVI to keep you on your toes
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 09:25   #15
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Good point, goboatingnow.

Sunsail does the flotilla sailing thing in the BVI. A mother ducky boat with lots of flags and the baby ducky boats trailing behind in line. You might be able to get on one of those if you get turned down for a bareboat charter on your own.

Tags
Caribbean