Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:09   #31

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
I also started sailing with small cats, many years ago. In 2008 I was invited by a friend to crew on his 40 mono in the Sun Sail fleet in the BVI. We did three weeks in March after I got back from a one week dive trip out of Freeport on a 65 footer. No frills. You should find that you will be able to use all your sailing knowledge and just have to learn how to handle the mono. I was lucky, my friend is a great teacher. We then did a week in Greece. Then we did three more weeks in the BVI. The BVI is a great place to sail and have fun, and it is very safe to take your family there. I am picking up my 44 foot mono on February 25th and plan to be living on it in the BVI in April. Go and enjoy, but be preparred to fall in love.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:39   #32

bareboat charter in usVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Island Yachts in Red Hook is a very reputable charter outfit, specializing in Island Packets. Customs isn't bad, it just takes a couple of hours of your time to clear in and out of the BVI when you base in the USVI. If you do it at West End (Sopers Hole), you can combine it with shopping/lunch there.

Thanks for the tip. I saw that island packet outfit out of ST Thomas on the web and was definitely intrigued! then again, owning a boat down there would make this a moot discussion. trying to get my veterinarian wife interested in caribbean (u have sick animals?), Then I could sail and, i don't know, braid peoples hair on the beach?
bhmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18   #33

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon
Your wife is a vet! I have seen a lot of animals on the live aboard/cruisers. I am taking my dog. My vet gave me a box of rubber gloves and showed me how to clean her anal glans. I would be your wife's first customer.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 13:08   #34

Agree with the BVI's if you don't have a lot of sailing experience. I would however encourage you to research the Abaco's....not as crowded, some of the best snorkling. If you like shell collecting (which is legal there) you'll find more than you can possibly handle. It is cooler in the Abacos than BVI's in Feb.
NWCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:04   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have chartered out of both Tortola and St Thomas, many times. The advantage of STT is that, especially from the NE US, you can avoid changing planes, and come into STT on a big plane. However, if you are having to go to STT or EIS (Tortola) from San Juan, you will find the prices pretty much the same.

The big disadvantage of STT is that if you are going to the BVI, you lose a day each way, getting there. You also have to clear customs in and out, and the Cruising Permit is (was) more expensive for STT charterers than for BVI based charters.

Shopping used to be far superior in STT, but that has changed over the years.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46   #36

We also chartered out of Red Hook with Island Packet Yacht Club. Great company and awesome boat....a heavier boat & slower to respond than your lighter weight beneteaus and Jeaneaus that most companies use. Definitely add St John's to your itinerary!

Nautical 62, great overview on the different sailing areas. Our boat is in charter with Sunsail out of Marsh Harbor Abaco so we go there a lot. It definitely is ALL good no matter where you decide to go!!!
NWCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 14:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
Your wife is a vet! I have seen a lot of animals on the live aboard/cruisers. I am taking my dog. My vet gave me a box of rubber gloves and showed me how to clean her anal glans. I would be your wife's first customer.
She would be honored, I'm sure. And that is something that might get in the way of a healthy dog/owner relationship, so mey advice is to refrain from that exercise...
bhmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 21:50   #38

Boat: Baba 35
Another vote for the BVI. My family has chartered with the Moorings I think 12 times now since I was a kid. I too will be taking my first Charter very soon hoping to continue the cycle with my own family one day.

As for Chartering Companies, I would go with the Moorings. When you give the Moorings the deposit for the trip they will send you a cruising guide well in advance to make it a bit easier to plan out your trip. Make sure to ask around here when you are at that stage as most of the advice here is fantastic regarding off beat mooring holes!

The Moorings fleet is not bad at all, I will point out though that there are two "Tiers" of their boats. "Club" and "Exclusive". The Club tier are boats that can range up to I think 6 years old, the Exclusive (A bit more expensive) is guaranteed to be no more than 2 years old. We have taken out both options and the experience has varried. One of our exclusive boats seemed fresh on the water and ended up having a serious linkage problem about 3 days in. I kind of tend to lean towards the Club boats as those girls have some serious miles under them, they've been "broken in" a bit. The downside is that you can get some Boats that cosmetically are just beat to hell.

Where ever you choose, remember that it is the Chartering company's business to make sure you have a great time. Pay attention during the "Skipper's meeting" (My dad would make all of us go, skipper or not) and ask a ton of questions if you have them, the staff are quite helpful.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean