Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26   #1

Boat: Viking 44
What Anchor to Use

It's my first time up the ICW and I have a 44 foot boat. What size and type of anchor should I go for, I'm told mine is too small for the trip. I will be doing the inside all the way.
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14   #2

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: What anchor to use

What's your current anchor and what are you using for rode/chain? Conventional wisdom says you should be carrying at least two anchors, and probably 3 aboard a 44' cruiser.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:34   #3

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Another detail: Is your boat a light 44 ft'r or a heavy 44 ft'r? Displacement bears a lot on the size anchor you use also.
Plus there are anchor usage tables that may help also... These tables are put out be the various Anchor manufacturers and tend to favor the anchor that they make.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41   #4

Boat: Viking 44

Remember I'm not going to anchor out anywhere other than the ICW. My boat is heavy
44 thousand lbs.
edbulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I like to anchor in nice marsh creeks, but some have big tidal ranges and are skinny and deep, so 2 anchors in Bahamian Moor style (one fore, one aft, both to bow) is a good option to have available. Most of the anchorages along the whole route is silt/mud, so most anchor styles do well, but get 2 different kinds so that you have options. As for size, bigger is better, as long as you and your windlass can handle it. Here's a link to a size guide: Anchor weight guide

Hope this helps!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Your anchor sprit mitigates against the roll-bar type anchors I prefer, such as the Rocna or Manson Supreme. On your boat, for the ICW, I'd recommend a Fortress FX-55.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Ed:

You will get a lot of opinions on this question, so here is mine: Go with a 60 lb or greater Rocna or Manson Supreme. Why the Rocna or Manson Supreme? They have been proven to set very easily and hold very well for their weight in most bottom conditions

You will need at least 150' of 3/8" HT chain backed by another 100' of 3/4" nylon. Use one size larger shackles to compensate for the lesser working load of standard shackles versus high test. These sizes roughly match the holding power of the anchor witht the working load of the rode.

You will be anchoring in 6-20' of water and 150' gives a 6:1 scope in the deeper water. The extra nylon rode is for when the wind is really blowing and you want more scope for optimum holding.

That boat has a lot of weight and windage and will need heavy ground tackle even in the ICW. Oh and don't forget a heavy duty windlass to haul up all of that weight.

As a spare anchor, the Fortress is one of the lightest and best holding anchors. It's only downside is difficulty in setting sometimes and it doesn't handle a veering situation (reversing tide) well. Get a big one and set it up with 50' of HT chain (you can probably get by with 5/16" HT) and 200' of 9/16" nylon rode. You may have to haul this anchor up by hand depending on your windlass.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

I would go with 55lb plow (Delta) and for those soft mud areas, a danforth style (Fortress FX-37).
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 15:30   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: What Anchor to Use

We've made the ICW trip from MD to FL numerous times in our 48' trawler. We have a 66 lb Bruce on an all chain rode which has never failed us on the ICW. We carry a Fortress as a backup and to use in case we need to use two anchors in tight places.
Old 09-02-2012, 20:45   #10

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I like to anchor in nice marsh creeks, but some have big tidal ranges and are skinny and deep, so 2 anchors in Bahamian Moor style (one fore, one aft, both to bow) is a good option to have available. Most of the anchorages along the whole route is silt/mud, so most anchor styles do well, but get 2 different kinds so that you have options. As for size, bigger is better, as long as you and your windlass can handle it. Here's a link to a size guide: Anchor weight guide

Hope this helps!
Nice chart Waterway Guide what anchor is on your Gemini's bow now ?

Tags
anchor