Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2011, 08:24   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft
Western Caribbean

Hi everyone! We're planning a trip this season to the Western Caribbean. Cuba, Belize, Honduras, etc. Are there good suggestions for south west Cuba anchorage, Marinas in the Rio Dulce, haul out opportunities foe Cat? Any route suggestions? Times to be where? What charts and guide books work well?
Nauti-Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 16:57   #2

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Western Caribbean

freya rauscher's cruising guide is a must have for Belize and the areas immediately north and south of there- charts (both paper and electronic) are not to be trusted so you will really want to have her sketch charts and waypoints. They were all spot on when I went there
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 17:27   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

The only haul out for you on the Rio Dulce is Abel's and that is a railway. I don't think Ram Marine can handle your beam. Marinas are Catamaran, Mario's, Tortugal, Texas Bay, or Mar Marine. Rauscher's Guide is about it. As for charts, good luck. We used DMA charts and Raucher's and did just fine. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 06:31   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Hi guys,

Are you coming down to Panama this year?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 06:57   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft

Hi M & M. It's Allen. Heard about your strike from Pat. What's that all about? How long will you be laid up? We are still trying to decide where, when and how - anywhere. Current plans are to do a little Cuba, Belize, then Rio Dulce. I would rather get down to San Blas and Panama. Any thoughts. We've not hauled out or done any work on the boat and it will need it. Somewhere.
Nauti-Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 17:31   #6

Boat: Tayana 37

We are going sometime around March
Lesterbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 18:08   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti-Nauti View Post
Hi M & M. It's Allen. Heard about your strike from Pat. What's that all about? How long will you be laid up? We are still trying to decide where, when and how - anywhere. Current plans are to do a little Cuba, Belize, then Rio Dulce. I would rather get down to San Blas and Panama. Any thoughts. We've not hauled out or done any work on the boat and it will need it. Somewhere.
Hi A&P,

Can't remember if I got back to you by email. We are a simple boat now - back to sextant and hourglass! Will probably be laid up for a couple of months. Maybe longer if I can't figure out the new offerings in electronics - seems I stop paying attention to nav systems back in the 90's and don't know how to go about refitting!

Fishing is great here, but the lobstering is probably better in Cuba. Don't know anything about the NW Carib except that you will most likely be fighting the wind and currents heading to Panama from there.

If you aren't planning on going through the canal right away, you might consider Cuba, Jamaica, Panama and then up to the NW Carib. It's mostly off-wind sailing that way and the currents aren't bad.

Thought you were getting the new Leopard 44! If you need work done, your options are very limited in the SW Carib. Basically Shelter Bay Marina in Panama is it and they are expensive. Probably the same as hauling in S. FL. One other marina opened here recently, and it may be less expensive. You will have a couple more options in the NW Carib for less money. If you are in the Chesapeake, I would do the work there and be done with it. Unless you want the bottom paint that actually works - then you will have to wait for the Carib.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean