Originally Posted by Nauti-Nauti
Hi M & M. It's Allen. Heard about your strike from Pat. What's that all about? How long will you be laid up? We are still trying to decide where, when and how - anywhere. Current
plans are to do a little Cuba, Belize, then Rio Dulce. I would rather get down to San Blas and Panama. Any thoughts. We've not hauled out or done any work on the boat
and it will need it. Somewhere.
Can't remember if I got back to you by email
. We are a simple boat now - back to sextant
and hourglass! Will probably be laid up for a couple of months. Maybe longer if I can't figure out the new offerings in electronics
- seems I stop paying attention to nav systems back in the 90's and don't know how to go about refitting!
is great here, but the lobstering is probably better in Cuba. Don't know anything about the NW Carib except that you will most likely be fighting the wind
and currents heading to Panama from there.
If you aren't planning on going through the canal
right away, you might consider Cuba, Jamaica
, Panama and then up to the NW Carib. It's mostly off-wind sailing that way and the currents aren't bad.
Thought you were getting the new Leopard
44! If you need work done, your options are very limited in the SW Carib. Basically Shelter Bay Marina in Panama is it and they are expensive. Probably the same as hauling in S. FL. One other marina opened here recently, and it may be less expensive. You will have a couple more options in the NW Carib for less money
. If you are in the Chesapeake, I would do the work there and be done with it. Unless you want the bottom paint
that actually works - then you will have to wait for the Carib.