Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2013, 12:09   #1

West-Bound Transatlantic in May

Does anybody have any personal experience of doing a Westbound Transat in May from the Canaries to the Caribbean, any advice on routes and conditions to be expected and tactics to employ, simple monohull sailboat with Raymarine Auto-helm, whisker pole, Gennaker, main and Genoa.
budgie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:20   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgie44 View Post
Does anybody have any personal experience of doing a Westbound Transat in May from the Canaries to the Caribbean, any advice on routes and conditions to be expected and tactics to employ, simple monohull sailboat with Raymarine Auto-helm, whisker pole, Gennaker, main and Genoa.
I can not offer experience in big ocean crossings but I am an experienced sailor and cook looking for passage across the Atlantic.

My name is Isaac, it has been two years since I started traveling and I have gone around the world and back. Most recently across land from Hong Kong to the UK.

I am American/English and grew up sailing in Maine waters throughout New England as well as the Cyclades and Ionian isles in Greece. My sea legs are strong and I am extremely motivated.

If you are looking for crew on this journey then I am extremely interested and would love to meet up and make my introduction.

Very much look forward to hearing from you
isaacamitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: West-Bound Transatlantic in May

Hmmm... Well I've left the Carib as late as mid June and things were ok... the June 1st hurricane date is just like the 1st day of Spring... variable..
If your talking Canaries departure early May you should be fine.. the later you start there's a chance you may be caught by an early tropical depression coming across...
Apparently the forecast this year is 'Very Active'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:38   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: West-Bound Transatlantic in May

1) I would avoid departure in late May,

2) time your departure well, as this is the only part of the voyage where you have 'control' over the weather,

3) there are no magic tricks: you are sailing Westwards and the only tactical decision is how much (and if) Southing to make,

4) Personally, I would elect a wx-conservative route, to avoid any risk from any early tropical disturbance/storm,

5) Personally, I would either receive radiofaxes or else use an external wx support (via a sat phone or a two-way sat communicator), just in case.

Get yourself a good bimini (for the sun, and for the rain), good shades, sunblock and something interesting to read.

PS Windvane better than autopilot, unless you have a good autopilot and plenty of juice.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 05:47   #5

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41
Check out http://www.svsarah.com/. John describes his May 2007 crossing in great detail.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote