Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2021, 13:04   #1

Warning: Dominican Republic

This is a warning to all of you that consider going to a marina (Cap Cana Marina) on the east side of the Dominican Republic. We arrived here two weeks ago on our way to Puerto Rico. We were planning on staying only a few days max and when we were ready to leave we weren’t given our despacho papers from the navy on the grounds of “bad weather”. This has been going on EVERY DAY for the past two weeks. We are stuck paying marina fees (there is no place to anchor), a 40$ cab ride away from the next supermarket and absolutely no idea when we are allowed to leave. We have friends waiting for us over Christmas in Puerto Rico and are very doubtful we will make it.

I just wanted to post this for all you out there that are considering coming here. When we arrived, nobody told us that this could happen.
SVStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 13:40   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Warning: Dominican Republic

What nationality are you and your boat?
You check into PR via the ROAM app, and if US boat and crew don't need to see anyone in person or show any paperwork.

If not US crew, then you still use the ROAM app but might be asked to go in person as well. I'm not sure what they need then.

In your situation, i would simply leave.
Old 18-12-2021, 13:44   #3

The crew is Canadian - I know that we can use the app to check in but I’m not sure if they will ask for the despacho papers. We have been trying to get in touch with the Canadian embassy here but no luck yet. We are thinking of leaving and going somewhere else but worried we’ll be turned around without any papers
Old 18-12-2021, 14:01   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

I’m thinking you don’t need “papers” to enter PR, even if not US crew or vessel. Aside from the Covid regs, I found the “need” for declaration papers to primarily a Latin country thing. I’d simply leave and arrive at destination providing self declared sailing route and compliance with entry regulations. You got stamped in upon entry right? That’s your history. Just don’t stop or enter in BVI territory as you work your way to PR.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 14:51   #5

Thank you for the comments! If anyone else has experience in this - please let us know!
Old 18-12-2021, 14:56   #6

Boat: C&C 37

Give CBP a call in PR and explain your situation. The telephone number to report arrival is 1-877-529-6840 or (787) 729-6840
milagroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 05:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I don’t believe that a departure Zarpe/Despacho is required to enter any US territory, includong Puerto Rico.
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-m...ents-caribbean

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 06:08   #8

Boat: C&C 37

It's true you don't need a despacho/zarpe to enter PR, but I thought the issue would be not getting a check out stamp from the DR migracion if you just left the DR. I assumed it would mean you couldn't return to the DR without having some issue with Migracion, since there was no departure stamp...they would consider you not having left and charge the overstay penalty?? But maybe there's not intention of returning after this experience...lol!
milagroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 08:04   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroman View Post
It's true you don't need a despacho/zarpe to enter PR, but I thought the issue would be not getting a check out stamp from the DR migracion if you just left the DR. I assumed it would mean you couldn't return to the DR without having some issue with Migracion, since there was no departure stamp...they would consider you not having left and charge the overstay penalty?? But maybe there's not intention of returning after this experience...lol!
Given the situation i dont think the op will ever be returning to the DR....I am pretty sure you can outrun their navy...just get that heck out of there.
Seriously...if you try to leave can you end up in jail?
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 09:13   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

And just as
Seriously, people go for daysails don’t they? So take ‘er out for a spin and keep moving.. staying because you don’t have “permission” to leave seems rather too much of a submissive exercise
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 09:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have a very little experience with DR. My impression is these port positions are often politically assigned. There seems no real nation wide management of the comings and goings. I go out of my way to obey all rules but…..

When in Saba I tried to get a clearance permit and could not. I got cleared from one agency (customs?) but the other guy was AWOL (immigration?). We waited hours and the answers and attitude we got from the guy there clearly indicated it could he a very long wait. So we left and went to St Martin French side I think. It may have been an issue going into Antigua because they are very bureaucratic. As it was, no problem.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 10:29   #12

Sounds like this may be the norm.

https://turftosurf.wordpress.com/201...hole%20country.

https://tulasendlesssummer.com/domin...blic-despacho/
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 10:36   #13

Happy to report that we got our OK to leave today after our two week wait - the weather didn’t seem much different that before so it seems all a bit unpredictable. Having said that most of the local smaller fishing boats were staying put in the harbour during this time as well.

We have absolutely no plans on returning there and made sure to mention this to all the other cruising boats that arrived there about the issues. I hope this helps others be aware.

FYI we called Puerto Rico customs and they said there could be issues if we arrive without despacho papers from DR.

Thank you everyone for your comments!
Old 19-12-2021, 11:44   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

what are they going to do....send you back to DR?
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 19:09   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

I am in PR now. No papers were required when i checked in a few weeks ago.

I believe Canadians get a free pass on that as well. I used the ROAM app and a 2 minute phone call.

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic