Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 16:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, they make money vlogging, so they could spend some of the money on sat comms.

If just to make say two or three offshore episodes, short, 480p teasers.

I would.

How big is a 15sec 480p file?

Cheers,
b.
yes this what the vagabonds and delos do i think i know my friend lars hassler on sailing yacht jennifer https://www.facebook.com/groups/51171093938/ has the fleet broadband that costs him about $1200 a month so he can maintain his facebook page and have sat comms for his guests,but he charges his guests quite a bit for crewing
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 17:06   #17

Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2017

Ha ha , will check that out when I get home on the morn ,,, ( before " she" wakens !! )
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 23:38   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
That might take you days , he has done many many on his trip down from UK , can't remember any specific " Atlantic speck " episode but all just good everyday living / cruising on board vids .
This the channel?

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 00:59   #19

That's the one
Old 15-09-2017, 05:48   #20

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

hi all

here are three videos from our crossing: one from canaries to cape verde, three from cape verde the rest of the way

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:57   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
hi all

here are three videos from our crossing: one from canaries to cape verde, three from cape verde the rest of the way
Thanks Carsten Great share,sounds like you had a lot of fun,i noticed you did not use your wind vane pilot much ,any particular reason for that?

Could you possibly in your role as a moderater change the title of the thread to " Vlogging, Atlantic Crossings 2016 and 2017",as it is quite diffecult to post videos about events that haven't happend yet!
(been a bit distracted with other threads)

Also any other members who crossed last year,or crossing 2017 please add content it will be much appreciated
Old 15-09-2017, 11:18   #22

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i found these guys recently,great quality camera work,and interesting kiwi style and perspective,not much sailing exp,but learning fast!
sailinginspire.com

What a refreshing couple. Completely devoid of pretension, wonderfully enthusiastic. I hope they do well.

The ones that irk me are those with the beautiful girls who are just too pleased with themselves and think that they are the star of the show instead of the experience itself. Those don't seem to last too long though.

As for how this couple can afford it, I don't ask myself that question any more. I know plenty of young couples who have worked hard, built a company, sold it, and set off for a different adventure. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't have worked for what you've got.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:20   #23

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Thanks Carsten Great share,sounds like you had a lot of fun,i noticed you did not use your wind vane pilot much ,any particular reason for that?

Could you possibly in your role as a moderater change the title of the thread to " Vlogging, Atlantic Crossings 2016 and 2017",as it is quite diffecult to post videos about events that haven't happend yet!
(been a bit distracted with other threads)

Also any other members who crossed last year,or crossing 2017 please add content it will be much appreciated
With the little wind we had from Cape Verde to St. Lucia - the wind vane simply was useless.

Would have worked better on the run from the Canaries to CApe VERde, but we had no wind there for 36 hours then so much wind we simply let our autopilot run on the wind vane mode.

BTW - we won the first leg - a double-hander beating everybody - including quite a few boats with full racing crews - we finished only 9 hours (real time) behind a POGO 12.5 - believe it or not

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
This the channel?
wow! his video quality has changed,a lot since his earlier uk to med stuff,he must have upgraded his equipment with all that lovely lucre he is getting from patreon.com sponsers and utoob views....

i'm also impressed by the marina in mindelo,first time i went there in 89' we were the only yacht,and there was nada,niente' nothing,then in 91went via west africa.subsequent voyages in 2000 there was a german guy that had put in a rickerty pontoon,on and our last E to W crossing we went to gambia,and crossed to forteleza brazil so missed the development.

thanks for sharing
Old 15-09-2017, 11:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
With the little wind we had from Cape Verde to St. Lucia - the wind vane simply was useless.

Would have worked better on the run from the Canaries to CApe VERde, but we had no wind there for 36 hours then so much wind we simply let our autopilot run on the wind vane mode.

BTW - we won the first leg - a double-hander beating everybody - including quite a few boats with full racing crews - we finished only 9 hours (real time) behind a POGO 12.5 - believe it or not
yes i have found that,we had much better and consistent winds going canaries to gambia/senegal then to brazil,then tobago than going cape verdes antigua and cape verdes st lucia in nov-dec
Old 15-09-2017, 11:42   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
What a refreshing couple. Completely devoid of pretension, wonderfully enthusiastic. I hope they do well.

The ones that irk me are those with the beautiful girls who are just too pleased with themselves and think that they are the star of the show instead of the experience itself. Those don't seem to last too long though.

As for how this couple can afford it, I don't ask myself that question any more. I know plenty of young couples who have worked hard, built a company, sold it, and set off for a different adventure. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't have worked for what you've got.
yes it is nice to find great new talent,and enjoy their perspectives and missadventures,on old well trodden routes

yes sad but true,but when you are a wannabe rock star it is all about image lol elayna still is pretty,but getting burnt out now they are a corporation....

the boy with the dogs i belive is re-inventing himself and doing an episode in thailand with LADY BOYS.........
Old 15-09-2017, 12:05   #27

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Personally I don't find passage videos interesting. What's more fun is the anticipation, the prep work, and the planning and the challenges. That's what get's people going, the idea, rather than the reality of sitting in the cockpit day after day thinking "shall I take a reef"
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:29   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Personally I don't find passage videos interesting. What's more fun is the anticipation, the prep work, and the planning and the challenges. That's what get's people going, the idea, rather than the reality of sitting in the cockpit day after day thinking "shall I take a reef"
very true! hopefully any vloggers reading this will take it onboard when editing footage they have collected,as well as what mike said crew interaction,repairs and graphic dissections of fish after they have thrashed about the cockpit are allways good footage....that is unless you are vegan
Old 15-09-2017, 13:21   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
yes sad but true,but when you are a wannabe rock star it is all about image lol elayna still is pretty,but getting burnt out now they are a corporation....

the boy with the dogs i belive is re-inventing himself and doing an episode in thailand with LADY BOYS.........
Calling Elayna pretty is a bit of an understatement. But she's down to earth, straightforward, and seemingly devoid of too much vanity. And the pair of them provide real content instead of incoherently cobbled together clips of "Look at me! I'm having so much fun and I'm awesome!"

And the guy with the dogs (Sailing Doodles?) last I checked was selling sangria at Burning Man (WTF?). Pretty much lost whatever interest I had at that point...although he seems like an earnest bloke.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
( with respect mate ) I dont agree at all , ( maybe I just have not done enough extended passages ) but a the prep stuff bores me a little , I like to see how people deal with the " tedium " of long hours , little sail trims here , little adjustments there , " any chance of a coffe hon ? " , anything on the radar , anything on the zoom in , how far to go , what speed ,, etc etc etc , always found Chay Blythe books interesting , from what I can remember (??!!) much being direct copied from his log !!!, just day to day cruising stuff

Tags
atlantic crossing, sailing, travel, videos, vlogs