Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 15:01   #1

Visa for Fernando de Noronha

For those who have stopped at Fernando de Noronha as the first destination Brazil.

What type of visa did you use? Transit? Tourist? Other?

How fussy were they about your ETA?

Thanks

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 16:39   #2

Boat: Adams 40
Re: Visa for Fernando de Noronha

Greetings, I arrived at Fernando de Noronha at 0200 after a 17 day solo sail from St. Helena last year without a visa.Most of the other cruisers I was hanging out with were from Europe so the visa issue didn't come up. To cut a long story short the harbourmaster was very kind, offering me coffee but then immigration officials, customs and cops arrived at the tiny office above the harbour and no one other than myself spoke English.
He kept saying 'visa, visa' to which I replied 'yes please', assuming that I would just get one as I'd done at every other country I'd been to since leaving Aus. This was not to be ! The word 'reciprocity ' appeared on the computer after translation from Portugese. It appears that because Brazillians need a visa to visit Australia we need one to visit their country . Quid pro quo !
They said... 'Aqua, fuel, food'.... then pointed to the open sea ! The message was clear, get out ! The immigration official kindly drove me to the local supermarket and luckily there had been a delivery of fresh food and there was plenty of grog in stock which was fortunate as I'd just about run out . So after a 36 hour stay I headed off to Isle de Salut where visas are not needed.
The above is a long winded repy to your query and doesn't really answer your question other than to say that unless you are from Europe you will most likely need a visa. The Brazillian Embassy nearest you should be able to tell you what type. Fernando is expensive as you probably know but as a solo male sailor the bikinis are very distracting and when viewed from astern are just a string, barely visible....are you with me ? The beaches are nearly as good as in Australia too.
Good luck and as an aside do not go to Fortalesa it is unsafe !
Cheers
Dave
S/V Eliana
Ps the Harbourmasters Office is closed for lunch but otherwise open during office hours. They don't seem too concerned about your time of arrival unlike Trinidad and Tobago which will charge you for ' arriving during unsociable hours'!
Dave Isom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 17:13   #3

Of the places I've been only Australia and Brazil required me to have a visa in my possession before arrival.

Regarding Fernando de Noronha, unless things have improved since I stopped there in 2012 the fee to anchor may be very steep indeed. While in St. Helena I heard rumours it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $125/day! And the 'anchorage' is filled with local boats leaving very little room for transients. What room there is has coral everywhere.

My attempt to contact authorities on the V.H.F. for information was ignored, or at least received no reply. Eventually a man who spoke English came on asking if he may be able to help? Short story is he said nobody in immigration spoke English & I'd have to 'come ashore' for information. Wierd, I thought to myself, no way. So I hauled anchor and left for Isl de Salut without ever getting confirmation on anchoring fees.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 19:32   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Fernando de Noronha is a protected park and is not a port of entry.
You must check in with Capitania and Immigration on the mainland first, which means you'll need a Brazilian visa.
A lot of people stop buy, but they just take advantage of the communication gap and play with the rules as explained above, stay a couple of days then leave. The anchorage is wide open and can be rolly.
I sailed by when singlehandling from Las Palmas just to avoid the hassle, but gosh it looked inviting.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Fernando de Noronha is a protected park and is not a port of entry.
From Noonsite

Quote:
This is now an official port of entry and yachts are expected to arrive with all the appropriate visas. However, although all the other paperwork can be delt with, it is not possible to clear Customs here. It is reported that this does not present a problem if it is done at the next port of call.
Is this incorrect?

Our next port of call would be Isl de Salut
Old 02-07-2015, 21:13   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Jack,

Haven't been to Fernando, but my experience with Brazil (and Australia) is the same as Wrong's. For US citizens they require you to show up in person (they do now allow a third-party, but transactions still have to be in person), and only at the consulate that has jurisdiction over your home address. I had it explained to me in detail that it is all reciprocity, whatever their citizens have to do to visit your country you have to do to visit theirs.

At least it looks like Canadians can do it by mail. You might check here:

http://vancouver.itamaraty.gov.br/en...sa_(vitur).xml

but basically you have to fill out an online form, print out the completed form, and the take (or send) your form, passport, and money to the consulate. If you are anywhere that has a Brazilian consulate I would definitely recommend dropping by, in person, to see if there is anything they can do for you (since I doubt you want to go back to Canada, or mail your passport there).

I will say that they were very clear that arrival without a visa is not acceptable. The good news (unless you are two days out from making landfall) is that visas are multi-entry and valid for a long time (can't remember if mine was 5 years or 10) once you have them. For others who think they might want to visit Brazil, even a long way in the future, and are reading this while still "home", it is worth it to get your visa when you can.

Those of you from the visa-free countries should be happy you don't have to play this game.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 21:36   #7

Dsanduril

We depart Cape Town mid Sept, I am trying to "get all the ducks in a row" before then.

I am at home right now. The online form is on the screen. I just need to determine which type of visa I need. I have emailed the consulate and tried to call. The Ext number on the website for visa services is not valid.

The nearest consulate is Vancouver 1000 km away. So I have to send the documents by mail.
Old 02-07-2015, 21:55   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

All we had while on the boat was a VITUR (tourist visa). I wouldn't take my word for it if you can get in touch with them, but that's all we had. All bets are off if this is a delivery and you are hired, then I have no idea.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:48   #9

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
From Noonsite

Is this incorrect?

Our next port of call would be Isl de Salut
That is correct if the next port of call will be mainland Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Dsanduril

We depart Cape Town mid Sept, I am trying to "get all the ducks in a row" before then.

I am at home right now. The online form is on the screen. I just need to determine which type of visa I need. I have emailed the consulate and tried to call. The Ext number on the website for visa services is not valid.

The nearest consulate is Vancouver 1000 km away. So I have to send the documents by mail.
You'd need a tourist visa (Vitur), its a multiple entry, so there is no ETA requirement. I would get it, this way you'll be covered for the stopping at Noronha or any other eventuality that could make you seek a port in Brazil.

In any case, the rules are the same but jurisdiction different, so if you don't get response from Vancouver, try other cities such as Toronto for information, but you need to apply at Vancouver.

http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/tourist_visa.xml
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:32   #10

FYI - just got this email

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email. You will require a tourist visa. A transit visa is for transit only and is not suitable for sightseeing or tourism. For more information, please refer to our website (vancouver.itamaraty.gov.br)
Old 06-11-2016, 14:56   #11

Boat: Allegro 33

I have read there is an anchoring fee of US$75 to US$125 for a yacht above 10 m.
I have not seen any figure for boats under 10 m. Our's is 9.81 m.
Does that mean that it's free ?
I don't expect it to be but have not found any info about this.
Anybody know ?
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:21   #12

More news about Fernando since 2015 ?
Reciprocity is now also for euraopean people ...
Witch are the price to stay 3/5 days in Fernando . I will arrive from Sao Tomé or from Bijagos . Can i take a visa in Fernando ?
Pietje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietje View Post
More news about Fernando since 2015 ?
Reciprocity is now also for euraopean people ...
Witch are the price to stay 3/5 days in Fernando . I will arrive from Sao Tomé or from Bijagos . Can i take a visa in Fernando ?
Hi Pietje:
For previous VISA you can see this web:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Brazil
Today price of the Real is 3.9 for one Dollar.
You must pay the fee for anchor, included the boat and captain each day.
Also your crew pay one tax for each day.
And if you want to go to south side of the island must pay other tax for one week, most of visitors in shorts trips say with the nort area is enought.
Price in Reales:
Boat and captain x day:
Less than 5m 56,80
5m and 10m 84,91
Over 10m 226,40

Each crew for day:
1 70,66
2 141,33
3 211,99
4 282,66
5 347,68
6 398,56
7 449,43
8 500,32
9 551,19
10 602,07

All of this is paid in Reales, but have several ATM to get the money, the ATM have limits, then do not leave for the last day.
Remember the Yellor Fever Vaccine if you go south to Noronha.
Doubts ??

Omar Wetdoc
Buenos Aires
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 15:31   #14

ok thanks for this explination .
Whats your personnal experience about Fernando ?
Pietje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 14:48   #15

About Noronha:
It is the paradise of surf, diving and snorkeling. It is frequent to dive with turtles and small sharks.
For expert divers you have a highly recommended wreck dive, the Ipiranga corvette about 50 meters deep, is with Trimix.
The prices are higher than the rest of Brazil, but this week the Real had a significant devaluation that makes stays in Brazil cheaper. Today quoted at 4.20 for Dolar
Many are the best beaches in all of Brazil and to reach some you have to do a trekking of a couple of hours. Worth it. You can also rent a Buggy or a motorbike, bus and taxi.
It has a museum of turtles, another of the shark, remains of a fort, etc.
It has several ecological reserves with prohibited visits and there is a lot of control.
The place of anchoring is not fully protected and depending on the wind and wave it can be difficult to sleep.
By prevailing currents and wind, if you come from the north or the east and after go to the north of Brazil or the Caribbean: it may be better to go straight to Salvador or further south and leave Noronha for the return.
It is to go and enjoy.

Omar Wetdoc
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote