Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 19:51   #1

Virgin Gorda Anchorages

Can anyone advise good overnight anchorages around the south side of Virgin Gorda in April? I wanna spend a fair amount of time near the Baths and Savannah Bay and would like to overnight nearby. Most of the maps and books indicate they are only day anchorages. Any help is appreciated.
Jack and Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 23:48   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
There are no true anchorage around the south side of Virgin Gorda as they aren't really protected.

The furthest south would be Spanish Town, where you can either pick up a mooring ball or anchor.

Next would be Savannah Bay, which is beautiful and empty but you need to thread in between two reefs and I head that a sailboat was sunk there when a squall line came through at night. I've always wanted to spend a night there but as I'd like a spotter while going in through the reef I've never gone. How much does your boat draw?

If the weather were truly settled one might be able to anchor (in sand, of course) around Coral Gardens to the south side of Great Dog island.

That sums it up, the next closest anchorages are going to be Trellis/Marina Cay and the North Sound.
Old 15-02-2010, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome board the CF, Jack & Jill.

Good luck in finding the real deal, secret anchorages, not indicated in the guides & charts.

Map Of Virgin Gorda Anchorages In The British Virgin Islands

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 05:05   #4

I wonder why the Spanish Town anchorage is marked as a day anchorage? It has mooring balls and lots of room to anchor. Admittedly, I've only stopped there to clear in and out of the BVI but it would seem to adequate (if a bit rolly) and I'm sure that Speedy's and the other ferries/commercial vessel cause a lot of wake.
Old 15-02-2010, 05:27   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
The Moorings outside of Spanish Town are relatively new. We have spent the night on anchor there wothout problem but two days later you could have surfed through the entrance.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 06:28   #6

If you overnight in a "day anchorage", is anyone gonna come write you a ticket? I've been down there 4 times and never have I seen any type of patrol boats or any type of law enforcement boats checking vessels.
Jack and Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 08:18   #7

No, the responsibility is yours to choose an adequate anchorage. But if you use a NPT mooring ball you might get in a bit of trouble, but chances are pretty high that nobody will come along. I have seen BVI govt. boats cruise around the anchorages, but never after dusk (apart from the BVI customs speedboat, which most likely is looking for moving and not stationary targets).

Tags
anchor, anchorages, Virgin Islands