Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 10:48   #1
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Venezuelan Rivers

I´m going to be stuck in Trini for a while catching up with maintenance, after that I will no doubt be desperate to spend some time off the beaten track. Doing the usual passage planning with google earth, the orinocco delta seems to be interesting and close. Anyone spent any time up there? Or any other navigable rivers nearby?
Thanx in advance
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 11:40   #2

there are a number of interesting trips out of Trinidad into the Orinoco delta - the Manamo river and Macareo river being the most popular. the main Orinoco river is a commercial river and yachts/pleasure craft are restricted.. When you get to Trinidad you will find a lot of information and other cruisers to debrief.
delongdubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 09:34   #3

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Talking

Heard good things about the Orinoco delta from boats that have been there in the last few months. I can also recommend the offshore Venezuelan islands, Baranquilla, Los Rocques & Les Aves. Baranquilla you check in with the Guarda Costal and can stay as long as you want. No trouble with 'pirates', the CG listen on 16 & have basic medical facilities on the island.
Los Rocques you get two days 'in Transito' , so don't have to check in and no Park fees.
Les Aves CG happy for a couple of days without formally checking in.
All the CG personnel I spoke with said to avoid Margareta and the mainland. No doubt somebody will post here saying that's a load of tosh and Venezuela is perfectly safe, but I prefer to believe the officials.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 14:44   #4

Boat: Dean 5000 sailing catamaran
orinoco river

Hi, I'm organizing a cruise to the Orinoco river in Venezuela with my Leopard 42' catamaran next june. We will start from Trinidad, and the cruise will be 2 weeks.

Anybody who did it before, could you please give me some ideas nad advice?

Thanks!
tomicante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 17:46   #5

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Tried it a looong time ago ! 25 yrs next month, wife and I on own built steel Roberts 38, Trinidad for carnival then over to Guiria to clear customs, then across gulf to Perdenarles in the north of the delta.From here we only had a road map !We only got to Tucupita as there was a new dam and land reclamation scheme. However an island in the river was the Guirdia post,they had a little ferry and let us use their dock [and dinner at the commandants] they said we were the first yacht to visit in many years .We left the boat there under armed guard, while we rented a car and drove almost to Brazil,also visiting Angel Falls.On our way back we were able to give photos of themselves to some of the natives we met on the way in. At nights we nosed in to the bank and slept despite the howler monkeys. The rest of this trip should probably have been a book!
It was an amazing episode of our lives,stilt houses, dugout canoes etc to say nothing of being lost in the jungle for 5 days with gold prospectors and the rental car catching fire.
I would however think that the main channel will have some pretty fierce currents. Good luck, have fun, be adventurous, Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:30   #6

Thanks a lot Steamgoat! It seems you had a lot of fun!!!
I work as a charter captain in Tobago, and I will go to the Orinico with charter guests. Finally the boat will be a Privilege 51', and we will have 1 week to go up river and 1 week to sail back to Trinidad.
Your adventure seems very interesting, altough I could use some newer information of the actual situation...))) T.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:55   #7

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Some friends of ours took three boats up one of the rivers last summer. I couldnt tell you which one, but they got 180 miles up river before they reached a dam. All had a thoroughly enjoyable time, but with plenty of groundings in the soft mud. They draw about 6 feet, and used a kedge to pull them back out each time. it sounds a great adventure. Take plenty of things to barter with the natives for food.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:04   #8

Thanks Sobriyah!
180 miles is the maximum we would do in a week time going up on the river. Motoring an average of 20-30 miles a day. Our draft is 4.5 feet, and have a dinghy with 30HP outboard.
I've heard that fishing hooks, T-shirts, caps, etc. are very welcome by the natives.
I would also like to know about the entry procedures, the tides (I've heard that the tides are very important there), and other things to know about...

Thanks,
T.