Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 06:27   #1

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'
Vaca Cut in Marathon Florida - doable with 7' draft?

Moving the boat to its new home for the next 6 months. Dock master and neighbors all think I am good to go but it would really suck to get down there and not be able to get in.

We don't plan on going in and out very often so as long as we can get in at high tide I'll be happy. Any concerns for a 7' draft or can I sleep at night?
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 04:54   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Vaca Cut in Marathon Florida - doable with 7' draft?

Where's the boat's new home, exactly? in Key Colony? Bonefish Marina? Vaca Cut itself is deep, has extremely strong currents at any time besides dead high or low. I'm sure you know there is a low fixed bridge, so you won't be transiting the entire cut. The canals in Key Colony should be fine with your draft. Not sure about Bonefish, but there are a number of sailboats there. If you are talking about the gulf side, then there will be draft challenges outside of Vaca...
Capt. Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 07:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Greg View Post
Where's the boat's new home, exactly? in Key Colony? Bonefish Marina? Vaca Cut itself is deep, has extremely strong currents at any time besides dead high or low. I'm sure you know there is a low fixed bridge, so you won't be transiting the entire cut. The canals in Key Colony should be fine with your draft. Not sure about Bonefish, but there are a number of sailboats there. If you are talking about the gulf side, then there will be draft challenges outside of Vaca...
Boat house marina / Coral Lagoon. That being said I was looking at slips at Bonefish as well so I'm interested in your thoughts for either of them.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Old 21-09-2021, 08:51   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Maybe you're thinking of the cut, Moser Channel, which is under the 7 Mile bridge. Vaca Cut not for sailboats.
swhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 08:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhall View Post
Maybe you're thinking of the cut, Moser Channel, which is under the 7 Mile bridge. Vaca Cut not for sailboats.
Should have been more clear, we're heading to the canals in Key Colony Beach BEFORE the bridge. So entering Vaca cut from Hawks Channel and then banging a right before the bridge. Trying to figure out if I can get back there with 7' draft.
Old 22-09-2021, 03:49   #6

Boat: Beneteau 323

I would check with that marina, it's tucked pretty far back in Key Colony, you may indeed have difficulty with your draft. My guess would be that Bonefish would be a better fit.
Capt. Greg is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, florida