Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 07:54   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Doug, I totally agree. The BEST anchorage from STT to BVI when picking up a charter in STT.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 08:31   #17

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Meetings to be held next week----

http://www.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/?...l&p=1212901436
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 08:41   #18
cruiser

Such a shame that a couple liveaboards caused this. This is exactly what I was talking about in my "boat bums" thread.

If we aren't responsible (as a group), we will be regulated away from everywhere that's any good to stop.

I'm a liveaboard at anchor. I have people coming up to the boat all the time looking at it from smaller boats, kayaks, etc...

Why?

They don't think anyone is aboard and are admiring a well-kept boat.

If only *all* liveaboards would have some consideration for the world and keep their craft in a state of good repair... (sigh...)

There goes another spot.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 10:13   #19

I do not like the idea of not having the option to spend the night at Christmas Cove either. But...that is not the only area the DPNR is targeting. False Entrance/Benner Bay has more than a couple of liveaboards...think 25+. I know some of these people and really like them. If they do get the boot, I can't imagine where they will all go. There just are not that many comfortable places to drop the hook and spend the night on that end of the island.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:25   #20

Just returned from the public meeting held by the DPNR. There were over 50 people in attendance, the meeting stretched to nearly three hours and my condensed impression is as follows.

DPNR intends to remove all boats from False Entrance (Benner Bay), remove non-commercial boats from Secret Harbor and any live aboards in Christmas Cove starting October 1st. Which is still in prime hurricane season. The DPNR will allow boats to enter the marine sanctuary areas and use them as needed for shelter from named storms. At some point in the future a committee (that is not fully formed) may or may not recommend some boats be allowed to return to these areas for long term mooring, if approved by the VI Govt.

If a determination is made that certain areas are suitable for day use/overnight use the DPNR will have moorings installed. For long term use the DPNR will dictate exactly where ground tackle may be installed by the owner.

There were reporters and lawyers in attendance. I am sure the reporters will write a much better report than I just did.
Old 27-08-2008, 09:38   #21

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen
Rubikoop -

So can sailors still anchor overnight at Christmas Cove after October 1st?

I am a bit confused.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2008, 10:28   #22

Aspen, your use of the word "can" is a good one. Can you? Probably. Should you? Probably not. Will there be any repercussions of doing it? Doubtful, unless you are there for a long period of time.

It seemed like Xmas Cove will not be the main initial focus. On October 1st there is no realistic way that all affected boats will be gone.

You're a bit confused? You should have been at the meeting with all the contradictary statements coming from the panelists in the front of the room. For example...
Q Where are the boats supposed to go after October 1st?
A St Thomas Yacht Club has 10 availble moorings.
Comments from the audience. STYC does not allow live aboards--Must be a memember to have a mooring--There is a 2 year waiting period for a mooring--The ten moorings are available only until after hurricane season when the boats return.

Q Why are you removing all of the boats without a place for them to go?
A We have a plan in place and this is the first step.
Q What is the rest of the plan?
A First get all the boats out and keep them out so we can see what we have to work with. That is enforcements job. A committee will have to work out the rest, and DPNR will give input.
Q Why not use the widely available satelite photos of the various bays and let the boats remain until there is a plan in place to install moorings etc...?
A That is not part of the plan. These boats all have to be gone before we can see what we are working with. The boats are there illegally and will be gone Oct. 1st NO DEALS.
Except they then went on to make a specific deal with one man in the audience who said he just put in all new mooring equipment after the DPNR renewed his permit in June. He and thus far only he, is allowed to stay until after hurricane season...

I am confused and I was there!!!!!!!

I would suggest that questions go to the DPNR enforcement division and light their phones up.
Old 27-08-2008, 12:17   #23

Article in on line newspaper regarding today's meeting
St. Thomas Source
Old 13-09-2008, 23:41   #24

Boat: CSY33
Any further developments?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 08:57   #25

A new organization was formed to represent boaters...you can read about it here Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info

and here St. Thomas Source

In False Entrance yesterday there were many fewer boats. Christmas Cove had about a dozen boats anchored which is low for a Saturday but the weather has not been the best. Other than that, not much development to report.
Old 15-09-2008, 05:24   #26

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Aspen
Here is another link from the August 27th meeting: St. Thomas Source

The article makes it clear that one of the first areas targeted will be Christmas Cove, along with Secret Harbor and False Entrance. Roberto Tapia, the DPNR's assistant director, has decided to start enforcing some law that he claims has been on the books for over a decade (I think he forgot about the 300 years before that when anchoring was permitted).

To quote Tapia, " The department will "bend over backwards" for businesses operating out of Secret Harbor, but will not allow them to dock in areas like Christmas Cove for three or four days between sails, Tapia said."

Hope this helps answer your question.
SVAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 13:49   #27

Latest update can be seen here Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info
Old 19-09-2008, 14:38   #28

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I'm disappointed. Seems once I finally get out of college and get a chance to go out and see everything, I won't be allowed to go there. Hopefully there will still be someplace I can go to this time next year...
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46   #29

The actual enforcement activities have begun. Read the story here Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info

Tags
anchor, anchoring