Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 04:52   #31

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: US to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is an outright political thread and has no place on CF.

Dave
A discussion of cruising to Cuba has no place here?? I beg to differ. Cruising to Cuba is a completely legitimate topic for CF, and cruising to Cuba for American citizens is more than just a weather window, best anchorages kind of question; it has legal ramifications for us. And the laws are made by politicians, and hence the topic is political and yet belongs here.

If there is news about changes in the laws or politics of cruising to Cuba, I would like to know about them, and discuss them here on my favorite cruising forum.
Old 19-03-2011, 05:28   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I agree with goboatingnow as far as it being a political thread. If this were a gun thread there would be more than one member explaining why we all should follow and respect the laws of countries we might not particularly agree with. I see no reason that American law should be treated any different. There are far more issues in play about traveling to Cuba that are political, emotional, and delve into very deep personal hurt and anger that have nothing to do with cruising. It is not fair to expect those that agree with the law for reasons not related to cruising to stand by and be silent. As International cruisers we may not all see the political hot potato this subject is, but after living in South Florida I assure you from first hand knowledge this is an extremely emotional political issue with many people.
Tellie is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 05:31   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Cruising to Cuba is certainly an appropriate cruising forum discussion.

Harshly criticizing ones morals or ethics for doing so is not. That you can take to another forum.

Just my opinion.
skipmac is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 05:47   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Political thread? Yes and No. The initial questions was about anything changing in the laws and problems US citizens/residents face if they travel to Cuba.
- - And the answer is clearly - NO! Nothing has changed in the laws that affect US Citizens/residents who want to cruise Cuba.The ban was extended by the current Administration although for the last few years "supposedly" money for enforcement has been cut.
- - So like sliding through traffic stop signs - you can get away with it if nobody is watching. Same with cruising Cuba. But there is no "legal" way around the ban for non-authorized US citizens/residents to cruise Cuba.
- - So that opens this thread up to fill up with blatantly political posts about "traitors" and on the other hand the stupidity of some US laws. What else do the posters have to talk about since the original question has been answered - nothing about non-authorized US citizens/residents cruising Cubs has changed.
- - And to add to the political side, IMHO it is highly unlikely to change since the resurgence of a politically split Congress. Which means another decade of the status quo regarding Cuba travel.
osirissail is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 06:07   #35
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

Stick to facts and it's relevant and not political. Start giving opinions about the laws and who is wrong or right and turns political. Please refrain from the latter so we can keep this discussion on topic.
Andy R is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 06:56   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Political thread? Yes and No. The initial questions was about anything changing in the laws and problems US citizens/residents face if they travel to Cuba.
-- And the answer is clearly - NO! Nothing has changed in the laws that affect US Citizens/residents who want to cruise Cuba ...
... So that opens this thread up to fill up with blatantly political posts about "traitors" and on the other hand the stupidity of some US laws. What else do the posters have to talk about since the original question has been answered ...
Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 07:47   #37

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I am Canadian, thinking of going to Cuba from Florida and back with an American friend (my boat, not U.S. registered).

Anyone know what the definitive answer is to my American friend doing the journey with me?
Your American friend should fly to an airport outside USA such as Mexico City or Kingston and meet you from there by local flight. After finishing in Cuba it would probably best for he/she to fly back to that airport and re enter USA by plane from there. It will appear to be a vacation in Mexico, Jamaica etc. If the friend is already in Miami then a flight to a Caribbean island might be more convenient. It is essential that any flight into Cuba is not a separate sector on a flight ticket originating in USA. If you do it that way then a second ticket is a must.

An alternative would be to fly to Nassau and do the Cuba thing from there, meeting you directly. Doing it that way would make it easier to stop by other countries if the schedule permits. Whatever you decide, the return to USA MUST be via Nassau, Mexico City or Kingston as appropriate. Cuban customs know the drill and do not stamp passports.

Money spent in Cuba would best be cash and second best a credit card other than the one in the wallet on return to USA.

I have never heard a single negative comment about Cuba from any cruiser, apart from the poverty. They all loved the place and hopefully you will too. The SW coast is supposed to have great diving.
savoir is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 19:49   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
... It is essential that any flight into Cuba is not a separate sector on a flight ticket originating in USA. If you do it that way then a second ticket is a must.

An alternative would be to fly to Nassau and do the Cuba thing from there, meeting you directly. Doing it that way would make it easier to stop by other countries if the schedule permits. Whatever you decide, the return to USA MUST be via Nassau, Mexico City or Kingston as appropriate. Cuban customs know the drill and do not stamp passports....
Savior thanks, that is probably good advice.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear (my friend lives in Tampa, and the thought was leaving from there), but we will reconsider our options.

Of course the optimist in me can say that restrictions will be lifted by the time hurricane season is over?
avb3 is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 20:25   #39

Boat: Able 50

If you want to cut planes out of the equation then just be sure you visit another country (and get everything for both boat and crew stamped) as the last stop before returning to USA.
savoir is offline   Reply
Old 19-03-2011, 21:47   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
If you want to cut planes out of the equation then just be sure you visit another country (and get everything for both boat and crew stamped) as the last stop before returning to USA.
So, as an example, one supposedly could to Tampa - Isla Mujeres near Cancun, and on the return trip "drop by" in Havana? Mexico I believe issues a zarpe, so that should be the documentation needed.

Now, I wonder what the currents are like?
avb3 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 08:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So, as an example, one supposedly could to Tampa - Isla Mujeres near Cancun, and on the return trip "drop by" in Havana?
No, the other way around. Stopping in Havana right before returning to the U.S. is just about the best way to get caught violating the travel restrictions. If you choose to take the risk and violate the travel restrictions then you want to go to somewhere else as your last stop. You want to be returning to the U.S. from somewhere OTHER than Cuba. Best is to go somewhere else, then Cuba, then somewhere else again, and then back to the U.S.

I also have to agree with the guy that said that, if this were a gun thread, there would be posters going absolutely apoplectic over people giving advise on how to violate the law. I find it an interesting double standard.
denverd0n is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 09:23   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

...I also have to agree with the guy that said that, if this were a gun thread, there would be posters going absolutely apoplectic over people giving advise on how to violate the law. I find it an interesting double standard.
You may be right, however, it is not against the law for ME to go (as a Canadian). It is not against the U.S. law for me to come directly from Cuba, so for me to do so, no problem.

It is contrary to law for my American friend to accompany me. Frustrating, but I guess reality.
avb3 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2011, 11:35   #43

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy

This topic is very important, because discussions such as this, showing the personal effect the Political policy has on people leads to examination of the wisdom of said policy. Agree or disagree with US policy not withstanding.
Old 21-03-2011, 12:10   #44
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

which is why I view this topic as purely political and doesnt shouldnt be here. The answer to the original OP was "No". everthing else is political, ie ones views on the situation. WHy these posts continue is a bit beyond me.

DAve
Old 21-03-2011, 12:12   #45
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

I am going to go ahead and close this one since it's turning into a debate about our policy and not the OP.
Andy R is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Cuba