Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2019, 15:03   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Upper Chesapeake Bay - Havre de Grace - sailing and marinas

I echo chasmains comments about water depth. The boat you buy to go to the islands or off shore may not be the best boat to get the most out of one of the world's finest cruising grounds.

Case in point: My first cruiser drew 2'10" board up (a 26-foot Bristol keel-centerboarder). I bought it specifically for the back bays of New Jersey and the Chesapeake. Did she sail as close to the wind as the deep-keel yachts, no way. But in the late afternoons in mid-summer, when the deeper anchorages were crowded and/or noisy, I could sail right past the congestion way up the lovely rivers and find a quiet, gorgeous anchorage with only the wildlife, a 17th century plantation home and a few crabbers to keep me company.

I used to rise early (5 AM or so) and put a pot of coffee on the taffrail grill. This was about the time the trot-liner crabbers took a break. They'd smell the coffee and motor over to chat. I'd offer them a cup and ask if they caught any whales (extra large crabs). Watermen, being nothing if not modest, would under-report their catch. After a few minutes, though, they would grab the tongs and pick a crab out of their baskets that you would definitely not want to meet in a dark alley. Huge!

And for the price of a few cups of coffee I would meet some wonderful, hard-working folks, learn more about the biology and culture of crabbing and get a half-dozen sumptuous blue claw whales. I'd put a big pot on the grill and cook them up then and there with lots of Old Bay seasoning. Fresh crab for breakfast, not a bad meal at all.

Also, I would recommend finding a marina on the eastern shore. The drive down there to get to your boat is half the fun. Don't be surprised if you find yourself exploring the side road a bit going to and from your boat. Scenery and culture that will lower your blood pressure and soothe your soul.

Lastly, one big benefit of the Bay is wet storage. Leave her in all winter and just winterize the systems that need it. I kept my boat in just one winter at Kent Island, a winter that proved to be milder than some. I sailed weekends all winter long, with the skipjacks and millions of waterfowl.

Anyhow, I digress. A shallower draft boat may be the best to enjoy most of the 5000 miles of shoreline in that remarkable estuary. You don't really need size either for weekends and shorter vacation cruises. 27-32 feet would be plenty.

Good luck with your search.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:31   #17

Hi all,

Lots of good advice. Thank you!

I checked the charts for the upper Chesapeake Bay, and yes, I would have been surprised later if nobody would have mentioned here that the water is so shallow. I have been twice in HdG, but never with a boat and from land, the area looks like a beautiful body of water suitable for some sailing. Not so much if you check the water depth on a chart and even less if the targeted vessel has a draft of about 5 feet 7in. Now I am wondering even more why there are almost no sailboats with a variable draft, at least I have not found any on YachtWorld or Sailboatlistings. Like the Bahamas with their shallow waters, the Chesapeake Bay would be an excellent location to have a boat with a swing keel or the like.

Anyhow, if we should finalize a boat deal before the summer is in full swing, as mentioned earlier already, we will likely spend the rest of the season with cleaning, repairs, upgrades, testing and getting used to the boat. Meaning our trips will be very short at first, getting out on the water, putting the sails up doing some taking, back to the marina and repeat. But even for that HdG due to the water depth might not be the best place to be.
I think I will go and check out Middle River but also places on the east shore.

The discussion has brought important points to my attention, again, thank you for that.
miraculix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 04:36   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

If you look more at places on the Eastern Shore, you might see what typical drive time to Rock Hall would be. Several decent marinas there with service and crew (pool, etc.) facilities.

Georgetown might be closer, so also maybe worth a look. OTOH, that's WAY up the Sassafras River... for the sailing part of it.

I'd guess Middle River might be shortest drive time, though...

-Chris
Old 02-06-2019, 05:48   #19

Boat: Beneteau 49

Looks like everyone has their own favorite spots based on what works for them. I’ve only had slips at two Marinas - Mears Point on the Kent Narrows and Herrington Harbor North, Herring Bay. Mears was a great location for shallow draft or power boats, because if it was rough on the bay, you could go North up the Chester River or South to the East Bay on to St. Michaels and the Miles and Wye Rivers. We needed deeper water, so moved to Herrington Harbor North - 20 miles south of Annapolis - no Bay Bridge to drive over. I have been the length of the bay from HDG&C&D Canal in the north to Hampton/Norfolk in the south and up 20 rivers. Each area has its own charm, but for me, there are excellent sailing destinations nearby - Annapolis,Baltimore,St. Michaels,Oxford&Cambridge, and Solomons Island - always a pleasure to see. I still do get north - very scenic, but there’s more rubber necking in our area. HHN is an excellent Marina with any amenity needed on property - even a West Marine Store. Oh and I’m just west of Harrisburg - 2 hour 15 minute drive, but worth it to us.
scobane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, marinas, race, sail, sailing