Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 13:35   #1

Update: Virgin Islands Customs requirements

I figured it was time for a new thread.

First:
I am confused by a statement on the BVI website, https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols
and believe it may be a typo error. See the text quoted below:

" Requirements for Fully Vaccinated Travellers Upon Entry to the Territory:

Travellers that present a RT-PCR or approved rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 negative test result taken no later than 48 hours before arrival and providing satisfactory evidence of being fully vaccinated shall:

not be required to be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival; and
be allowed to move freely within the Territory subject to adherence to COVID-19 enactments and protocols, including physical distancing protocols, wearing of masks and sanitization measures."

Is this just a typo? It seems likely that the test must be taken WITHIN 48 hours, not before. If not, is there a time limit that the test must be taken within? I wrote to the website but have not received any response.

Second:
Another question I have is whether or not the CBP ROAM app is working, so that I can clear into the USVI from the BVI just by using this app. I have heard mixed responses and hope someone has some recent experience with this.

Feel free to chime in with any updates regarding the BVI, USVI, COVID, etc. that you may know about.
Bullshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 14:11   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Update: Virgin Islands Customs requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullshooter View Post
I figured it was time for a new thread.

First:
I am confused by a statement on the BVI website, https://bvi.gov.vg/travel-protocols
and believe it may be a typo error. See the text quoted below:

" Requirements for Fully Vaccinated Travellers Upon Entry to the Territory:

Travellers that present a RT-PCR or approved rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 negative test result taken no later than 48 hours before arrival and providing satisfactory evidence of being fully vaccinated shall:

not be required to be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival; and
be allowed to move freely within the Territory subject to adherence to COVID-19 enactments and protocols, including physical distancing protocols, wearing of masks and sanitization measures."

Is this just a typo? It seems likely that the test must be taken WITHIN 48 hours, not before. If not, is there a time limit that the test must be taken within? I wrote to the website but have not received any response.

Second:
Another question I have is whether or not the CBP ROAM app is working, so that I can clear into the USVI from the BVI just by using this app. I have heard mixed responses and hope someone has some recent experience with this.

Feel free to chime in with any updates regarding the BVI, USVI, COVID, etc. that you may know about.

“ No later then 48 hours before “ means within 48 hours.
Old 15-05-2022, 14:39   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

well then it should say no earlier than 48 hours before

later than 48 hours before could be 24 hours before since 24 hours ago is later than 48 hours ago

carry on
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 16:21   #4

Wow - I read all the date and time related statements through-out the document and could not understand any of them.

The Moorings has translated it to mean:
Quote:
Must provide results of a negative PCR test or antigen rapid test no older than 48 hours before arrival.
So that sounds like the test must have been taken within the 48 hours before arrival.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 17:48   #5

Boat: Leopard 45

Correct as for the last two. If you have a test and 50 hours later you arrive. You will need to re-test. Make it under the wire in 47 hours and you needn't be re-tested. In regard to travel to the US Virgin Islands, I think the same applies. So be ready to test before sailing into US customs on St John comming from the BVI and test again going back into the BVI.
Take a six pack of the Abbott labs eMed test kits ($150 for a six pack) which you can use on line (if you have wifi on board). Last month traveling to Grenada and on to the Grenadines and then back we needed to test four times.
I strongly advise all cruisers to invest in an Abbott lab six pack. You'll be glad you did.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:09   #6

Boat: Bavaria Nautitech Open 40

Recently traveled through St Thomas to the Bvi for a weeks charter. We all used Abbot Labs rapid tests and had no issues.

Cheers
Wave_length is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 40

We just did this…
Checked into BVI from St Martin, you need to have a rapid test no more than 48 hrs old. We checked in at Road Town, the health check was quick and easy but the customs/immigration dance was ridiculously complicated and slow. You should pre clear in using eseaclear. Everyone was friendly enough but the system is not efficient, took an hours and a half!
You need a rapid test to clear into usvi from Bvi. You also need to upload your vax card and rest results to the usvi travel portal, they will then email you a QR code which you have to present when clearing in. Cpb Roam is not working in the usvi because of the testing requirements.
imiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 04:04   #8

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Thanks for the link. It was very easy to read and understand. They have protocols for everything like any bureaucracy does. At least common sense is somewhat present there. Here's another part of the document.

"Requirements for Unvaccinated Travelers Prior to Arrival and Upon Entry to the Territory

Prior to Entry

Travelers are required to register and provide the relevant information required to travel on the BVI Gateway Travel Application Portal, pay the applicable fee and download the approved app software.

Upon Arrival

Travelers that present a RT-PCR negative test result taken within five days of arrival shall:

be administered a rapid antigen SARS CoV-2 test;
if tested negative shall be allowed to move freely within the Territory subject to adherence to the COVID-19 enactments and protocols, including physical distancing protocols, wearing of masks and sanitization measures. "
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 04:58   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
“ No later then 48 hours before “ means within 48 hours.

This is how I would understand it also. Without standing on my head or looking at it sideways it, seems straight forward in how to interpret it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 05:08   #10

Boat: Cal-40

I deliver vessels to there on a regular basis for a charter company and clear in and out through Road Town. I’m fully vaccinated. They want to see in addition to my vaccine papers my last covid test. The rapid test is ok. If that Covid test is older then 48 hours right there I’m obligated to take another rapid test. I think it’s about 50 or 75 US dollars. They take bank cards. Anyway after my 15 minute wait for a negative results I’m free to leave and just go about my business.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 05:52   #11

Was in the BVIs this winter and yes within 48 hours and must be proxied along with vaccination cards. Also when you get there you have potential to be pulled from customs line and forced to pay $50 even if you have all your documentation! It happened to my sister and she noticed they were also bribing others in line so be prepared to pay to get into the BVIs!
Not going back until this nightmare is over. by the time we all got in, keep in mind I've been going down there bareboating for the past 7 years, and each of us ended up paying to get in regardless of all our required paperwork.
Not impressed at all.
Cindy Bear CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 06:20   #12

It's not the way that most Americans would phrase it, but then they're not Americans. So, yeah, it means within 48 hours.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:29   #13

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42

Worse yet, in reality the "48 hours" really means 2 days! So if your test is 49 hours old it is still valid.

Have fun!
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:31   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timethief View Post
Worse yet, in reality the "48 hours" really means 2 days! So if your test is 49 hours old it is still valid.

Have fun!

How is it valid at the point of inspection of its 49 hours old. !!!
Old 16-05-2022, 10:03   #15

Boat: MacGregor 25 & Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How is it valid at the point of inspection of its 49 hours old. !!!
Because when they inspect the documents, they only look at the dates - no one does the math to determine how many hours it has been since the test was taken. The question has been asked of the BVI authorities, and they have confirmed this. Why they insist on the saying 48 hours is anyone's guess.

But feel free to worry about the hour of your test - and to sweat the time zone differentials. I can only tell you my and my crew's experiences, and the reports of people who have also made the trip and messaged the people responsible in the BVI.

Enjoy your trip!
Timethief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, men, Virgin Islands