Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2010, 16:48   #16

Provision at Bobby's in Road Town and they will take you to your boat - they drove us all the way to Nanny Cay. Caribbean Cellars have the best prices on alcohol even though they did charge me $450 for $200 worth. The error has since been corrected thank goodness!
busyengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 12:31   #17

Re: Upcoming Five Day Charter with Sunsail BVIs - Any Itinerary Recommendations ?

6 months prior to arrival we went online and purchased all our provisions. They were delivered one hour after we arrived at boat (Roadtown) on Friday evening. We carried flash frozen meat and chicken with us from home. Went to store and purchased several bottles of Pussers. That's how we shopped, Easy.

1st day at sea: Roadtown to The Bight (Norman Island) The Willy T is a blast! Painkillers!
2nd day at sea: Swam the Indians for a couple of hours then on to Cooper Island. Quite little place. Good resturant on the beach. Painkillers!
3rd day at sea: Off to the Baths then into the Yacht Club for the night. Rock cafe is a great place to good for dinner and entertainment. Painkillers!!
4th day at sea: Bitter End and Leverick bay. Very nice and ......PAINKILLERS!!
5th day at sea: Marina Cay. Awesome place! Unbelievable entertainment with Michael bean on the hill. You'll laugh til it hurts. great resturant on the beach. Painkillers!
6th day at sea: Cane Garden Bay: Quittos bar and resturant on the beach. Fun time. Again Pkillers!!
7th day at sea: Yost Van Dyke: Foxies bar and resturant. A very fun time on the beach. Pkillers!
8th day at sea: Sopers hole to provision then on to Maho bay on ST John. Relaxing and lots of Pkillers.
9th day at sea: Privateer bay. Quiet and relaxing.

Except for the few nights we eat on land, we always fired up the charcol grill on board our boat and cooked up the frozen meats we carried with us from home. Done the Bareboat twice now. Scheduled for a two weeker next year. Can't wait. By far, this is the most relaxing type of vacation we've ever been on.
We've rented a beneteau 434. Great boat. 3 cabins 3 heads full galley. Plenty of storage for four adults and plenty of PAINKILLERS!!! Best vacation drink going.
vincentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 13:08   #18

Thumbs up Re: Upcoming Five Day Charter with Sunsail BVIs - Any Itinerary Recommendations ?

Painkillers!! I would have to agree...are the best vacation drink!

we have never brought our own meat...seems like a hassle...having to carry yet another bag, and checking bags is always a risk...especially for us having 4 flights each way! ( and well worth it!!)

Good for you guys! seems to work well for you. We really only do a quick lunch and snacks on the boat....and save our appetites for the great food in the BVI restaurants!

One of the best parts of the BVI for us, besides the amazing sailing, the gorgeous beaches and scenery, the wonderful BVIslanders, is visiting the wonderful restaurants of the BVI!!

Each so unique!! NO FAST FOOD HERE!!...and thank GOD!!

Privateer Bay sounds interesting...I will check that out!

No ANEGADA???????

we Just returned from the BVI mid/end of May

We had an itenerary...and the weather and wind situation changed everything...and it was still FANTASTIC!!! We're flexible....one of the great things about sailing....get up....decide where you feel like going and doing!

We scratched out some of our original plans and came up with even better ones!

Day 1 ---Salt Island-- Snorkel on the Rhone---amazing---then to Norman, The Bight and The Willy T...which we normally save for last (see link at the bottom for HILARIOUS Willy T story!)

Day 2 ---Lunch at Soper's...enjoy the charm and beauty...then to JVD, Great Harbour...Anchored and went to Corsairs and Foxy's!!

Day 3 -- in the morning we went into Great Harbour to buy homemade bread from Christine's Bakery...then we were off to Sandy Spit...to enjoy the snorkeling and beauty there. Next was more snorkeling at Monkey POint...which was great, next time will be better when the sun is out and it is not so cloudy. Sailed over to Trellis Bay, anchored, then Painkillers at Marina Cay..then the most fabulous meal we had mayber EVER eaten at The Last Resort, we had the Red snapper, got only one plate, because we were not that hungry...and now regret not getting two plates...great food..really fun band.

Day 4 --North Sound, anchored near Prickley Pear, visited and got some provisions in Leverick, then Dinner at Saba!

Day 5 -- off to... ANEGADA BABY!!! Anchored Rented a jeep, snorkeled, enjoyed amazing food at Cow Wreck, The Lobster Trap and even better at Neptunes Treasure! Stayed 2 days!! Met Dudley and Becca, beautiful people and really enjoyed our stay at Anegada! Saying Goodbye to Anegada is HARD! | Altair's Cruz Nuz

Day 6 -- Leaving Anegada...sad...sailed to the Baths...enjoyed the peace and serenity there...and lunch at the top of the baths! Sailed to Cooper Island for another wonderful meal. Overnight at Cooper.

Day 7 --sailed over to the Indians for another peek and the serene, peaceful life as it is under the sea! then back, unfortunately, to Road Town...Painkillers at Pussers... Taxi to Soper's, overnight at Jolly Roger...and we have to say...THE BEST PIZZA in the BVI!!!

it was all over way too quickly!!! A vacation...never to be forgotten!

Sailed a beautiful new Jeanneau 36i perfect size for us!

Click on this for the treat of some laughter!

Too drunk to find my dinghy - Messing About In Sailboats
Old 20-06-2011, 13:34   #19

Boat: Leopard 46
Re: Upcoming Five Day Charter with Sunsail BVIs - Any Itinerary Recommendations ?

I would second the use of Bobby's. They will deliver to your boat (I think for no additional fee) and since you only have 5 days you don't want to spend a full day running around getting provisions when you could be out in the wind staying cool. You can preorder off of their spreadsheet and they do a great job ... we use them every time we sail the BVI.
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 14:21   #20

Boat: Santana 25
It looks like you got lots of good info. All I could add is to pick up a pebble from one of the beaches you visit to carry in your pocket when you get home to act as a compass to guide back. I did, and carry it with me. Helps when I'm down.
We did not want to go home...... And we still regret leaving BVI. There must be room for one more t-shirt shop.
Have a great time.......
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 14:54   #21

Boat: Leopard 46

One other thing: our fav is Jost Van Dyke ... we usually hit it on days 8, 9, and 10. By that time you are completely relaxed and on island time and the beach bbq's are perfect after hitting Sandy Cay, Green Cay, or exploring Trellis.
LifeJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 19:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoblocktom View Post
It looks like you got lots of good info. All I could add is to pick up a pebble from one of the beaches you visit to carry in your pocket when you get home to act as a compass to guide back. I did, and carry it with me. Helps when I'm down.
We did not want to go home...... And we still regret leaving BVI. There must be room for one more t-shirt shop.
Have a great time.......
We did not want to go home either!!

Always a bit sad...and maybe a little grumpy on that last day!!

I have an internal compass....

We enjoy our time in the BVI so much!

And time...is the most precious thing we have...and so limited!

Hard earned $ and vacation time spent in the BVI is such a treat!

When I get down, I just watch some of our Videos, and browse through our photos...and relive those precious moments!

Have a wonderful time....take lots of pics and videos!!!

Old 20-06-2011, 21:10   #23

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I own a charter boat in the BVIs, so get there quite a bit, and am actually heading that way tomorrow.

Many great recommendations given already. I think where you go all depends on what you like to see. A few less visited snorkel destinations I've enjoyed are the sea caves on Great Camanoe which are much bigger than "The Caves" and the back side of little Jost Van Dyke which we usually access from the Sandy Spit Anchorage. The Reef just south of Sandy Spit isn't bad snorkeling either.

I tend to pack light - a couple swim shorts, and a couple water sports shirts are about all I take for clothing in addition to boat shoes and a hat. Don't forget sunglasses. If you feel a need to bring your own towel, I find those backpacker/diver quick dry towels to be much easier than cotton towels. They come in beach towel dimensions. The Ipod through radio device is a good idea.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 21:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I own a charter boat in the BVIs, so get there quite a bit, and am actually heading that way tomorrow.

Many great recommendations given already. I think where you go all depends on what you like to see. A few less visited snorkel destinations I've enjoyed are the sea caves on Great Camanoe which are much bigger than "The Caves" and the back side of little Jost Van Dyke which we usually access from the Sandy Spit Anchorage. The Reef just south of Sandy Spit isn't bad snorkeling either.

I tend to pack light - a couple swim shorts, and a couple water sports shirts are about all I take for clothing in addition to boat shoes and a hat. Don't forget sunglasses. If you feel a need to bring your own towel, I find those backpacker/diver quick dry towels to be much easier than cotton towels. They come in beach towel dimensions. The Ipod through radio device is a good idea.
I totally agree with packing light! I have only been to the BVI twice, My Captain has been there much more and I thought I learned about packing light the first time...and even the second time, I could have packed lighter. He was so right! Wear a trashed out shirt to throw away...buy a souvenire shirt or two wear during the trip...the lighter the better!

We also used our Iphones for music, plugging them directly into the radio, and had our favorite tunes for all of our adventures! Doubvle check to see if the boat you are chartering has those capabilities.

Hmmmm...the caves at Great Caminoe and the reef at Sandy Spit...thanks for the recomendations! I am a newcomer at snorkeling and I love it!!
Old 20-06-2011, 21:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSerenity View Post
Painkillers!! I would have to agree...are the best vacation drink!

we have never brought our own meat...seems like a hassle...having to carry yet another bag, and checking bags is always a risk...especially for us having 4 flights each way! ( and well worth it!!)

Good for you guys! seems to work well for you. We really only do a quick lunch and snacks on the boat....and save our appetites for the great food in the BVI restaurants!

One of the best parts of the BVI for us, besides the amazing sailing, the gorgeous beaches and scenery, the wonderful BVIslanders, is visiting the wonderful restaurants of the BVI!!

Each so unique!! NO FAST FOOD HERE!!...and thank GOD!!

Privateer Bay sounds interesting...I will check that out!

No ANEGADA???????

we Just returned from the BVI mid/end of May

We had an itenerary...and the weather and wind situation changed everything...and it was still FANTASTIC!!! We're flexible....one of the great things about sailing....get up....decide where you feel like going and doing!

We scratched out some of our original plans and came up with even better ones!

Day 1 ---Salt Island-- Snorkel on the Rhone---amazing---then to Norman, The Bight and The Willy T...which we normally save for last (see link at the bottom for HILARIOUS Willy T story!)

Day 2 ---Lunch at Soper's...enjoy the charm and beauty...then to JVD, Great Harbour...Anchored and went to Corsairs and Foxy's!!

Day 3 -- in the morning we went into Great Harbour to buy homemade bread from Christine's Bakery...then we were off to Sandy Spit...to enjoy the snorkeling and beauty there. Next was more snorkeling at Monkey POint...which was great, next time will be better when the sun is out and it is not so cloudy. Sailed over to Trellis Bay, anchored, then Painkillers at Marina Cay..then the most fabulous meal we had mayber EVER eaten at The Last Resort, we had the Red snapper, got only one plate, because we were not that hungry...and now regret not getting two plates...great food..really fun band.

Day 4 --North Sound, anchored near Prickley Pear, visited and got some provisions in Leverick, then Dinner at Saba!

Day 5 -- off to... ANEGADA BABY!!! Anchored Rented a jeep, snorkeled, enjoyed amazing food at Cow Wreck, The Lobster Trap and even better at Neptunes Treasure! Stayed 2 days!! Met Dudley and Becca, beautiful people and really enjoyed our stay at Anegada! Saying Goodbye to Anegada is HARD! | Altair's Cruz Nuz

Day 6 -- Leaving Anegada...sad...sailed to the Baths...enjoyed the peace and serenity there...and lunch at the top of the baths! Sailed to Cooper Island for another wonderful meal. Overnight at Cooper.

Day 7 --sailed over to the Indians for another peek and the serene, peaceful life as it is under the sea! then back, unfortunately, to Road Town...Painkillers at Pussers... Taxi to Soper's, overnight at Jolly Roger...and we have to say...THE BEST PIZZA in the BVI!!!

it was all over way too quickly!!! A vacation...never to be forgotten!

Sailed a beautiful new Jeanneau 36i perfect size for us!

Click on this for the treat of some laughter!

Too drunk to find my dinghy - Messing About In Sailboats
Big OOPS! we stayed 2 days in Anegada..and my days are off by 1
Old 21-06-2011, 06:58   #26

We've only been to Foxies on Yost Van Dyke. What other enjoyments are to be had on that island? Also, Anegeda, we've done the bareboat twice now and am scheduled for a third trip in 2012, would like to visit Anegeda. What things/places are good there? We have snorkeled the Rhone and were able to see quite a bit of it. I imagine if you dive you'll see a great deal more.
vincentl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 18:16   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

You could check out Foxy's Taboo and the Bubbling pool. There's also the Soggy Dollar.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote