Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 17:06   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Unexpected Gems

On our trip from Belize to the BVI's (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ute-34240.html) we found two marinas that we feel worth praising on this forum:
1. Berry Island Club on Frazier Hog Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas. It is small with room for only about 20 people in their dining room but Herby, the dockmaster/cook/manager does his best to help his visitors enjoy their stay. The food was great. The docks are a bit sketchy but the moorings are all new and held well during a squall associated with a cold front. Diesel is available.

2. Palmas Del Mar, southeast Puerto Rico. This marina is very new and is associated with a high end resort. The rate for our 43 foot catamaran was $1.25/foot/night - monthly or longer rates are less. The entire staff is devoted to customer service so they really go out of their way to help. They have good WiFi and Jeff, the bartender/cook in the Pusser's Tiki Hut Bar, makes great drinks, especially Pina Coladas and Bushwhackers. The food is good, too.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
US$1.25/ft/day for a catamaran is a good price for any upscale marina. You will find older, run down marinas charging more.
- - How was the activity and access to shopping there? Did you stop at any of the offshore islands?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:04   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
osirissail,

We did not get off the huge resort for any shopping but did pick up a few staples in the market in the shopping plaza of the resort, which is a three block walk from the marina. Rental cars and golf carts are available from an agency named Target, which shares the parking lot with the marina.

After we left Palmas Del Mar, we sailed to Vieques Island to visit a bioluminescent bay on the south coast. We anchored in Sun Bay and took the dinghy around to Puerto Mosquito - swimming there on a moonless night was a phenomenal experience. We are planning to visit Culebra and Culebrita (weather permitting) on our way to the BVI's.

There are so many places to see and so little time to visit them! What's a cruiser on a time table to do?
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Remember that you need to keep working to maintain the cruising.
That's a beautiful boat you have there.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
thanks for the info on the berry islands!! this place sounds like the perfect rest and fuel stop between florida and the exumas. i am planning on a trip next year.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:57   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The Berry Island Club on the eastern end of Frazer's Hog Cay was closed for quite a few years. It was a favorite stopping place for sailing cruisers in the Bahamas until it closed. Over on the the western end (actually on a different Cay) the Chub Cay Club is the center for the Sport Fishermen power yachts that come over from Florida to fish off the eastern wall of Andros Island and the Joulters Cays. They were never known to be friendly to boats/cruisers who were not "big-spending" sport fishermen.
- - It is wonderful to hear that the Frazer's Hog Island Club is back and operating. I will certainly make a point of stopping there on my way back west from the Caribbean.
- - Culebra in the Spanish Virgins is also a favorite stop when I am in the area. Usually when sailing from St Thomas to Fajardo, P.R. to get some supplies and a "Walmart" fix. I usually stop there on the return trip back to St Thomas and eastbound. Anchoring off the little town of Dewey is easy and there are some favorite little haunts like the Dinghy Dock. Also the little bakery store on the street to the Ferry terminal. We tied up our dinghy to the concrete "city pier" west of the canal through the island. If you Google Earth Dewey you will see our dinghy on the north side of the Pier. From the pier walk up the street and turn right. At the end of this next block turn left to go to the Ferry Terminal on the west side of Dewey. Walking and exploring the area is never boring. Also I always like to dinghy completely around Ensenada Honda and up into the mangrove swamps and finally out to the Ensenada Dakity mooring area. Great reefs and fun exploring.
- - Culebrita was not very interesting and because it was a weekend and the "Puerto Rican Navy" (nickname for small power boats from Fajardo) had what seemed like 30,000 boats anchored there. Maybe during the mid weekdays it is nicer.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 17:33   #7
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
John, thanks for the recommendation on Palmas Del Mar. I've been looking at Marina's in PR and that one should definitely be on my list.
Old 13-04-2010, 11:01   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I spent almost a week at Palmas Del Mar for the Puerto Rico Heineken Regatta in March. They were a bit overwhelmed with all the boats and literally the varnish was still wet on the Tiki Hut when it opened!!! But overall it is a beautiful place with a nice pool and very friendly staff. The pilings are very high for a conventional sailboat to tie to. That was a minor inconvenience however. The store was adequate and within a 10 minute walk there are 6 restaurants with options from pizza to steak.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote