Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 14:59   #1

Transportation - Grenada to Martinique ?

Hi everybody ,
I plan on leaving my boat in grenada or trinidad around the 20 th of june for the hurricane season and have a plane leaving from martinique to france ,so does anybody know how i could get there,i heard there are no planes ,maybe fisherboats,or maybe even you if you sail up there by that time? thanks
marco_ocea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 15:24   #2

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Marco the last time I was in St lucia there was a ferry running from Rodney Bay to Martinique. If you call the marina in Rodney Bay they will know. You can fly LIAT up to St Lucia.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 16:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Yes, there is a ferry and air service to Vigie airport in Castries. With a cab ride in between should work if you get there early of come late and spend the night. The ferry leaves in the AM with return trip the same day. They run day tours back and forth for the most part. It's a high speed Cat and a short trip.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34   #4
mct

Boat: catamaran, 50'
um, there IS an aeroplane service from grenada to martinique - Liatairlines.com, stops briefly in st lucia i think

Sheesh, some posts do make me wonder - booked a flight to paris but it's leaving from about two hundred miles from where the boat is gonna end up. How did that happen?

So anyways, erm, he's going to need more help than normal....

Ho there!! Make sure you get a flight that arrives in martinique BEFORE the flight to paris leaves, okay? And don't leave anything on the plane otherwise you'll lose it. You'll also need a passport. The flight costs about $170, ish. No, i can't lend you the money...
mct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 21:23   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The only way to get to Paris from the Caribbean is from the French Islands. Flights from the "British" islands go to London. But there are several small airlines that "island hop" between the islands along with ferries. But finding the schedules for these little airlines on-line a quite challenging - possible but it takes some time. Calling them on the telephone is not a good way either. A cruiser on today's net asked if anybody had a way to contact somebody at CaribAir about a supposed flight they operate - nobody knew. I suppose you have to wander up to the pilot at the airport and ask him where he is going today to get a reliable answer. - Welcome to the Caribbean way of life . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12   #6

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
I'M WITH MCT!

I'm with mct.
It took me 2 minutes to find appropriate flights on the Liat Air website:

LI704 departs Grenada at 0630, arriving Martinique at 0725; LI370 leaves at 0810, arriving at 0935. The standard fare is $145. There are similar flights the previous day if the above arrive too late.

Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05   #7

No problem at all finding flights online for Liat. Do bear in mind that Liat stands for 'Left In Airport Terminal (again)':

I've done 2 flights with Liat:
- St Lucia to Trinidad: it took 3 days in a hotel in Grenada at Liat's expense before we argued enough with people at the check in desk in Grenada to actually get us to Trinidad.
- St Vincent to St Maarten: unscheduled overnight stop in Antigua

So give yourself some extra time!
YourOldNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:12   #8

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
I thought it was "Luggage in another Terminal"

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, Martinique