Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2017, 15:20   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Transit and store a boat in Panama for the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
I've heard that insurance premiums for hurricanes are not generally charged within 11 degrees or so north latitude. Check your insurance, you may be good to go if not north of 11 degrees, but even if you are get a weather window and then go for it.
Yes, many "storm boxes" end about there, but Boca Chica is well south of 11N.

https://goo.gl/maps/3L441Qvqntt
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 15:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lserpa View Post
I would never leave a boat unattended in Panama. Only exception would be Red Frog Marina, in Bocas del Toro, under the Cate and supervision of Steve van Riensburg (surname TBC).
Sorry, but thats just rubbish...though maybe your buddy appreciates the plug.
Old 14-07-2017, 15:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiopirata View Post
There is a haulout a dry storage at Boca Chica, professional and safe. ..
Cool. Didnt know there was anyone there who could haul anything but smallish fishing boats.
Old 14-07-2017, 22:52   #19

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
There is a haulout a dry storage at Boca Chica, professional and safe. South. East of Panama. City is a good storage facility at Rio Bayano. Both are the best value options in Panama. The Pacific coast of Panama has a lot of options, if I were you I would choose Boca Chica.
When I map Rio Bayano it is on the other side of Panama City from Boca Chica. Do you have an address, business ne or number?
slavanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 22:54   #20

Quote:
Security at Rio Bayano, Boca Chica, Shelter Bay, Flamenco, Linton Bay, Bocas Marina is first world and top shelf. In addition various companies, eg Gente de Mar on the Pacific side, offer very professional yacht sitting services. Panama does have what cruisers want if you know who to ask.
Thanks for the info. I would prefer to leave it in Boca Chica and transit the canal myself.
Old 15-07-2017, 03:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavanaway View Post
Thanks for the info. I would prefer to leave it in Boca Chica and transit the canal myself.
Bonus: Boca Chica is a beautiful area. We go kayaking and camping there. Whale migration season coming up soon and the Gulfo de Chriqui will be full of humpback whales.

And, transiting the canal is a cool experience. Small boats use the old locks. Its amazing to see this 100 year old system still functioning. But you will share the canal channels with massive Neuvo PanaMax vessels using the new locks. Most small boats moor for the night in Lake Gatun...transiting is the only way you can do this...just dont go for a swim...lots of crocs.

So, my suggestion is to stow it in Boca Chica, hopefully get to enjoy Boca Chica some, then come back and transit the canal.

If the deal goes thru, PM me. I can likely be available to assist (which was one of your original questions anyway).
Old 17-07-2017, 09:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavanaway View Post
When I map Rio Bayano it is on the other side of Panama City from Boca Chica. Do you have an address, business ne or number?
Ok, Pedegral Marina, nearDavid, is for boats under 30 feet.I assume itmust be trailer storage. The owner tell me it is 200nm to the closest haul out facitly.

If I got this wrong let me know.

Thanks

-Sam
Old 17-07-2017, 16:14   #23

Boat: halmatic 30

Carlos runs Boca Brava diving beside Boca Chica. He has moorings for yachts and dry storage for small boats. Info on noonsite Boca Chica.
spraoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:01   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

This is sounding fishy. There is a comercial boat yard across the bay from Balboa but it is very remote. There is the boat yard on the causway and then there is $helter Bay. Has anyone coming from the west in a 40' sailboat hauled out somewhere else?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 00:40   #25

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is sounding fishy. There is a comercial boat yard across the bay from Balboa but it is very remote. There is the boat yard on the causway and then there is $helter Bay. Has anyone coming from the west in a 40' sailboat hauled out somewhere else?
Hi all

Yes I live in Panana city and have my boat moored at the causeway. I also spend time in Boca Chica because my wifes best friend is a manager of one of the game fishing resorts there.

I can confirm that as 2 months back there is no haul out facility for a boat of this size. Snall fishing pangas on a trailer. I will confirm but Im pretty sure I would have heard. If the previous poster saying there is could post some pictures of this facility it would be good.

There is a new marina going in roughly between Boca Chica and Pan city. It is pretty swish. I asked about a berth for my boat. Anyway, when I recovered, you know. I heard rumours it was an exercise in moving cash around. Anything is possible.

Yes Panama city, 300nm odd away, has some haul out facilities.

Balboa YC being the most common yacht facility.

Flemenco marina can do a haul out but this is more the expensive sport fishing crowd so not cheap. You cant do your own work here.

Dry storage is possible but not cheap and not usually done.

There also 3 other mostly commercial boat haul out facilities closish to Panama city, Veracruz (referred to before) and another couple. For various reasons they are not really very suitable, ie draft access in the creek etc.

I went through this exercise a little while back myself. BYC although by a long shot not perfect still the best bet on the Pacific side for yachties. I have no interest with them.

There seems to be a lot of opinions being bandied about here. Im sure some of them might even be true. Especially dont believe what I am saying either. I know its not easy and expensive but if at all possible, check it out with your own eyes. Internet or telephone not reliable.

My advice from being in this part of the world trying to work on my yacht. Many people that say can do this or that are either a technical 'liability' and/ or very unreliable. The technical expertise is suprisingly VERY thin on the ground. So be careful of any promises.

If you can do stuff yourself then do it. There are some people that can help but Even if you're there onsight it is always a long and difficult process.

Parts whoooa, getting boat parts. The next story. Sparce range available locally and importing is difficult ( costly, time taken) etc.

Good luck.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 03:25   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Q.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 04:39   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
My advice from being in this part of the world trying to work on my yacht. Many people that say can do this or that are either a technical 'liability' and/ or very unreliable. The technical expertise is suprisingly VERY thin on the ground. So be careful of any promises.

If you can do stuff yourself then do it. There are some people that can help but Even if you're there onsight it is always a long and difficult process.

Parts whoooa, getting boat parts. The next story. Sparce range available locally and importing is difficult ( costly, time taken) etc.

Good luck.
Yes, skilled services are surprisingly thin in Panama (I may sail back to Guatemala to finish my refit).

My 2c below re parts importation in Panama:

There are a number of shipping options into Panama. Vessels in transit are eligible for duties of only 2%, but you must have an agent who is willing and able to handle the paperwork. Normal customs duties are relatively reasonable. However, be aware that vessel in transit regulations require the package to be physically delivered to the vessel. You can't normally just go pick up your package. Most couriers are content to just deliver to the marina (normally Balboa Yacht Club or Shelter Bay) and usually don't insist on physically placing it on the vessel.

Marine Warehouse. A retailer who has shipping arrangements in place in Panama. These arrangements include by default, vessel in transit duty rates. Their rates include delivery to Balboa Yacht Club or Shelter Bay. Arranges can also be made to deliver to other locations. A very convenient arrangement.

FedEx Cargo. Surprisingly cost effect for bulky items and of course quick. Handles vessel in transit paperwork and local delivery. There is a small additional fee for local delivery...and of course a little tip keeps you in the good graces of the courier. Note: it is not practical to go to Tocumen cargo terminal and pick up the package yourself. They wont release it to you unless you have hired a courier to travel with you to the vessel to ensure it was properly delivered. It is way easier and cheaper to use their local delivery service.

AirBox Express. Shared air freight service and maritime shipping. Excellent customer service. Airfreight is quick but gets expensive for anything heavy or bulky. Does not handle vessel in transit paperwork.

Mail Boxes Etc. Similar to AirBox, but to my knowledge don't offer maritime shipping. Does not handle vessel in transit paperwork.

Fletes Chavales. Excellent option for in country transport. Inexpensive and quick. Will transport bulky items too.

Uno Express. Similar to Fletes Chavales, but services some locations they do not.
Old 18-07-2017, 09:28   #28

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Yes, I think its safe to say we are on the same page.

Arturo, at Marine Warehouse is a good service but is not cheap unless you have a sizable order to 'absorb' his costs, around $180? off the top of my head. I used him for my last haul out supplies and he was good. He does a one a week shipment so takes a little over a week to pay them first etc.

Fedex, yes certainly better than USPS and DHL. But still seem to take way longer than anywhere else. I work in Africa and most times getting stuff there is quicker and easier. Having said this they lost one of my 2 carton shipment last time from Defender. They payed in the end but it was a bit of a drawn out saga for them to admit they'd lost it and reimburse me and for me to re order etc. Is 50% success rate ok?

The fun you cant have in these part eh! Nobody gets out of here psychologically intact.

MBE, are also ok, again time and costs involved.

I was also using another guy, I know personally who did another Airbox set up up. He was ok until he had a bust up with his business partner and now works at Do It Centre- Doooh.

Air box, know of them, haven't used them.

Fletes and Uno haven't heard of them, thanks.

For smaller stuff I combine a trip to Ft Lauderdale when I have some other reason to go that way. I haul it myself. Last trip was Groco thru hulls etc.

Where you at? Im at Brisas.

Anyway probably a taste of what delites Panama has in stall for those that end up with yachts down here, but not exactly what the OP is asking.

Anyway all of this and more to look forward to.

Should you choose to accept this mission, welcome to paradise.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
Yes, I think its safe to say we are on the same page.

Arturo, at Marine Warehouse is a good service but is not cheap unless you have a sizable order to 'absorb' his costs, around $180? off the top of my head. I used him for my last haul out supplies and he was good. He does a one a week shipment so takes a little over a week to pay them first etc.

Fedex, yes certainly better than USPS and DHL. But still seem to take way longer than anywhere else. I work in Africa and most times getting stuff there is quicker and easier. Having said this they lost one of my 2 carton shipment last time from Defender. They payed in the end but it was a bit of a drawn out saga for them to admit they'd lost it and reimburse me and for me to re order etc. Is 50% success rate ok?

The fun you cant have in these part eh! Nobody gets out of here psychologically intact.

MBE, are also ok, again time and costs involved.

I was also using another guy, I know personally who did another Airbox set up up. He was ok until he had a bust up with his business partner and now works at Do It Centre- Doooh.

Air box, know of them, haven't used them.

Fletes and Uno haven't heard of them, thanks.

For smaller stuff I combine a trip to Ft Lauderdale when I have some other reason to go that way. I haul it myself. Last trip was Groco thru hulls etc.

Where you at? Im at Brisas.

Anyway probably a taste of what delites Panama has in stall for those that end up with yachts down here, but not exactly what the OP is asking.

Anyway all of this and more to look forward to.

Should you choose to accept this mission, welcome to paradise.
AirBox service is quite good, but not inexpensive.

Ive had good experiences with FedEx Cargo and given the fast delivery not bad rates either. In the past Marine Warehouse did not mark up their discounted FedEx rates so you could get some very good rates. Not sure if they still do that.

Overall I think Marine Warehouse is the best deal going, but they have rasied their prices and order service on the USA side is not as good as it used to be. Arturo (local rep) is awesome.

Im in Volcan. Boat is Linton Bay Marina. Heading back there in another month or so to resume work on boat.
Old 27-07-2017, 10:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
AirBox service is quite good, but not inexpensive.

Ive had good experiences with FedEx Cargo and given the fast delivery not bad rates either. In the past Marine Warehouse did not mark up their discounted FedEx rates so you could get some very good rates. Not sure if they still do that.

Overall I think Marine Warehouse is the best deal going, but they have rasied their prices and order service on the USA side is not as good as it used to be. Arturo (local rep) is awesome.

Im in Volcan. Boat is Linton Bay Marina. Heading back there in another month or so to resume work on boat.
Thanks for all the input.

I have a surveyor and captain in the wings. Owners will be back in Panama mid-August. So survey to happen after that.

Mooring at Boca Chica is 150 per month my preference is to keep her out of the water if it will be from September to December to minimize growth mostly.

I don't think there is serious refit work to be done until I get her back to the States and then it is mostly adding systems (electronics, radar arch, davits, wiring, upgrade batteries,...) and cleanup.

I will update when I get dates set.

Tags
boat, Panama