Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 19:45   #1

Boat: Golden Gate 30
Tortola Yacht Sales

I know this is a bit of a strange place to post this request, but I figure it's the most applicable forum.

I'm looking into the background of our 35+ y/o boat. Fortunately we have fairly extensive documentation that includes a sales agreement from Tortola Yacht Sales.

Unfortunately, their website is unreachable and I haven't been able to find any information on their current status. It seems they were in business for a good amount of time (old website says 1965), but I have no current information.

I was wondering if anyone here had any information on them or contact info?
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 09:10   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Tortola Yacht Sales

What is their address? I know the BVI pretty well and don't know them - unless you meant "BVI Yacht Sales".
Old 24-06-2013, 09:27   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
I'm looking into the background of our 35+ y/o boat. Fortunately we have fairly extensive documentation that includes a sales agreement from Tortola Yacht Sales.
(snip)
It seems they were in business for a good amount of time (old website says 1965), but I have no current information.

I was wondering if anyone here had any information on them or contact info?
The old website for Golden Hind Chandlery was shared with a business called Tortola Yacht Sales, which may or may not be the same business you are interested in. They are located across the street from the Sunsail/Moorings base. If you want to speak to someone at the chandlery try +1 284 340 0150; ask for Matthew. I got the number from him a bout a year ago. If the number does not work send me a PM and I will send you Matthew´s email address.

Cheers
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 09:32   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

You probably found this already, but if not the numbers might be worth a call (of course might not be the same folks you are after!).

TORTOLA-YACHT-SALES-LTD in VIRGIN-ISLANDS

Another number listed here:

B.V.I. : White Pages - Page 33 : Innovative Directories Online Phone Book - U.S. Virgin Islands

No idea how current this listing page is.

The BVI Company Registry does not allow a (free) online search , will cost $25 but apart from saying whether the company is still in existence (useful in itself) the additional details will be very limited - I can't remember to exactly what (likely simply a registered office service provider and therefore not their actual address, and would rely on any letter being forwarded on).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 21:20   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
I'm pretty sure that Tortola yacht sales ARE The Moorings. The original owners started out in the 60's and early 70's with a bunch of csy monohulls based not to far from where they are right now in Tortola. It was these folks from which my parents and us kids charted from throughout the 70's and 80's.. Then, through a series of expansions and acquisitions became The Moorings.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:51   #6

Boat: Golden Gate 30

Thanks for the information folks! I'll try to reach them soon and let you know what I find.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 12:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post

The old website for Golden Hind Chandlery was shared with a business called Tortola Yacht Sales, which may or may not be the same business you are interested in. They are located across the street from the Sunsail/Moorings base. If you want to speak to someone at the chandlery try +1 284 340 0150; ask for Matthew. I got the number from him a bout a year ago. If the number does not work send me a PM and I will send you Matthew´s email address.

Cheers
C
If you buy a boat in the BVI make sure you fly-in a capable and honest marine surveyor from PR or St. Thomas. The yacht sales industry is more than a bit incestuous in Tortola. The brokers and surveyors are joined at the hips :-). I found a surveyor out of Puerto Rico on a purchase 3 years ago. Also check http://oceantrader.co for surveyor listings. Good luck!
reefermadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 00:34   #8

Reefermadness - There are several very capable and honest marine surveyors in the BVI. I've used a couple with good results. Some of these surveyors get flown from the BVI to the USVI and Puerto Rico and St. Martin in order to do surveys.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Zanshin or Reefermadness, or anyone, I need a good catamaran surveyor this week or next to survey a leopard 47 in Tortola. Can you give any specific recommendations?
thanks allot!
thai ree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:01   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Geoff Williams, West Indies Surveyors, at Nanny Cay.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:35   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

+1 on Geoff Williams.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 04:58   #12

I've used Geoff Williams for a survey before and can recommend him as well.

Tags
yacht