Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2011, 17:46   #1

Tortola Shopping

Hi folks,
I'm heading out on a charter in the BVI next April and I was wondering about provisioning. I am chartering with the Moorings and generally I prefer to provision the boat myself rather than pay the exorbitant fee's the charter companies charge. Can anyone give me some input on the places around Tortola that are cost effective for provisioning (is there any Costco like stores). I was given great input on St. Martin last year and I saved myself over $1000. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
Lisa
lreslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 17:52   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Tortola shopping

I own a moorings boat in Tortola. There are a couple good grocery stores with complimentary taxi service. Just ask at the Mooring's desk and and they'll set you up.

The base is much larger and in my experience much more suited to help with that than the St. Martin base.

I agree with the self provisioning. A very little bit of extra effort means eating what you really want for a notably lower expenditure.

Rather than over purchase, I usually purchase a little on the low side and pick up a couple additional items as needed at Cain Garden Bay.

If you are on a budget, another way to save money is to anchor instead of picking up moorings all the time. Moorings are so common there, it's easy to forget that anchoring is often an option. On my last 2-week "charter". I never once paid for a mooring.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions I may be able to help with regarding chartering with the Moorings in the BVIs.

Have a great charter.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 18:07   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Bobby's Marketplace is the at the top of the heap of three markets on Tortola. You can order ahead online and they will deliver to your charter boat for free.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 18:13   #4

Thanks for the post...What are your suggestions on Moorings charters.

Thanks Lisa
Old 24-08-2011, 18:56   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreslock View Post
Thanks for the post...What are your suggestions on Moorings charters.

Thanks Lisa
Auspicious makes a good point about Bobby's though I never pre ordered myself. I'm more of a hands on person when it comes to groceries.

It's hard to make any recommendations without knowing your preferences. I prefer the more quiet settings to the party atmosphere, so my typical stops reflect that.

A few things which probably won't come across in the charter briefing that I enjoy:

For some isolation, I love staying at at the Sandy Spit for the night. Many think of it as a day stop, but I find it nice at night. The bay north of Lee Bay on Great Camanoe is a place I rarely see other boats. It's coral in the middle but has plenty of sand down in the SE corner. Pelicans diving for fish, schools of minnows, huge predatory fish, and wild goats roaming the hill sides make it an amazing place for wildlife. The cave on the the point between it and Lee Bay blows away the caves at "the caves".

Savannah Bay is much easier in my opinion than the guide book makes it sound and has some good snorkeling. I like to stay there and hit the baths the next morning before the crowds hit. If you prefer a town, anchoring off Spanish Town offers an even closer staging anchorage. You could even dinghy from there to the Baths. You do get boat wake near Spanish Town during the daylight hours, so I like to not spend much time there, favoring time in town or the nearby Dogs.

As far as more common stops, I do like The baths, the caves, snorkeling at the Indians, the caves, the Willie T, Cane Garden Bay and Jost Van Dyke. In Cane Garden Bay, it's easy to anchor between the moorings and the reef or closer to the swimming area to the west. If you can and enjoy snorkeling to 25 feet or so, stop at the wreck of the Rhone.

Personally, I am not fond of Anegada. I think the appeal is for those who have never sailed to a destination they couldn't see. Others however, say it's the highlight of their charter.

The BVI is their home base. It's much larger than St. Martin. For better of for worse, things are a bit more structured and the facilities bigger and more organized. The shower facilities are about as different as you can possibly get. The problem in at the BVI base is that the private showers are so nice, people can stay in them forever... I felt the the BVI base offers more structure, but you are also a bit more of a number. That said, go to the desk and just ask if you feel you are being neglected in any way.

You can get Wifi for free in the reception area and at the coffee shop. (same area, but air conditioned). There is no laundry on site, but if you need laundry done at the end of your cruise, the marina/restaurant across the bay has laundry. Hang onto your dinghy the last night - go there for dinner and laundry if you need laundry done. You probably don't want to walk. At Jost Van Dyke, West End and the Indians, you can probably get a U.S. cell pone signal from the U.S. VIs.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 20:48   #6

Thanks Again for all the great info...
Old 25-08-2011, 04:28   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Tortola Shopping

I have used Ample Hamper, RTW, and Bobby's for provisions. Ample Hamper has faded from its halcyon days as THE yacht provisioning service. RTW and Bobby's are about the same on price and quality but the Bobby's online ordering is substantially better than RTW. I have sent Bobby's an e-mail order over HF/SSB radio two days out, called them from customs, and had them meet us at the dock of our choice in a very timely fashion. I was impressed.

If you have a large alcohol order you might price Tico's or Caribbean Cellars; both have free delivery.

Like nautical62 I prefer the more quiet stops. Some, like South Sound, are redlined by the charter companies. Check carefully with The Moorings as things change. The last time I checked Brandywine Bay was redlined by Moorings but was a recommended stop by Sunsail -- since both are owned by the same parent company it is an interesting conflict.

Good places for peace and quiet include Lee Bay on Great Camanoe, Key Pt on Peter Island, Drake's Anchorage in North Sound, and Little Harbour on JVD (mostly). I too like Sandy Spit although it can be bumpy in winter. Money Bay on Norman was lovely in the past; I haven't been there since construction started on a small resort. Eustatia Sound is another nice spot - check with the Moorings on whether it is allowed for their boats.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 04:36   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

There is a brand new, large (by BVI standards) Riteway just across the road from the Moorings. Just opened in the last few months. The old Riteway building is just next door so if you know where that one is, you'll find the new one.

Is it cheap.... No. Just as expensive as all the other BVI supermarkets. The only way to buy cheap is to arrive at St Thomas, shop there and ferry to the BVI.

There is nowhere to compare with the wonderful Grande Marche in Sint Maarten.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:17   #9

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

For sea food, by far the best is Sailor's Ketch. We do crewed charters and the Admiral (Chef) would not use anywhere else. There is also a health food store and Road Town bakery for other stuff. If you go to Anegada, forget going over to Loblolly Bay and go to Cow Wreck Beach Bar. Best snorkelling is at Flash of Beauty, but you have to be a decent swimmer and the conditions need to be right. If you have a good north swell, go to Diamond Cay on JVD and walk to the Bubbly Pool.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 06:59   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

The Sint Maarten base was to add a grocery/provisioning store on the property for this season. I don't know yet if it exists but I will find out when we return to the isalnd in November.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 06:46   #11

How much gas would we be using from island to island in BVI
with Moorings 372PC?
First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 09:34   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreslock View Post
chartering with the Moorings and generally I prefer to provision the boat myself rather than pay the exorbitant fee's the charter companies charge.

Lisa
Lisa,

On Tortola its EASY!
Turn right on the main road from moorings and 430 meters on the left is a huge supermarket with a bulk supermarket right next door.

On the way to the supermarket on the right hand side of the road is a DeliFrance with the best naughty stuff in the world! (OK well, considering its a British island where no britts go!)
Across from DeliFrance is a Liquor shop.

So, when you head down to pick up your boat the weeks provisioning can all be done in a few hours within a few hundred meters.

Its easy!

For the other islands there is NOTHING. Just small local stores or marina rip-offs. If you do all your bulk stuff near Moorings then you can have the money left over for restaurants.
By the way, buying fresh bread each day isn't really possible without smelling salts: The local bakeries may bake 5 or 10 horrid loaves and expect to sell them for such a high price they make the profits of a normal baker. Beware

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	30900  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:03   #13

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Lisa,

On Tortola its EASY!
Turn right on the main road from moorings and 430 meters on the left is a huge supermarket with a bulk supermarket right next door.

Mark
At the top of the road before the bulk supermarket is a cash and carry liquor store. Limited selection but great prices. Cash only.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:42   #14

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

Actually, you can get very good bread at Roadtown Bakery. Try their Chibata bread.

Also, the bakery at Bitter End Yacht Club is very well known for its products.....try their pecan pie!

Moorings will advise on fuel, but the best price/quality combination is at Soper's Hole Marine at West End, home of Voyage Yachts. Leverick Bay also has consistently good fuel, but is much more pricey.

There actually ARE a few places to get things off Tortola. Buck's market at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor is good. The yacht harbor will give you one hour free, if you want to come in and do some chores. Buck's has a small branch at Gun Creek, on North Sound, which you can reach via the hourly free ferry from Bitter End.

There is also a limited but welcome selection at the grocery store in Trellis Bay, including block ice.

Everywhere else IS pretty expensive. Deliverance will bring you anything, for a fee, at Peter, Norman Salt or Cooper Islands.

"Coldest" Ice is at Foxy's on JVD...they must have the thermostat turned down. Garbage can be disposed of free at Trellis. There is now a very nice couple who sell ice and take trash, for a reasonable fee, at Trellis, as well.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 20:13   #15

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
At the top of the road before the bulk supermarket is a cash and carry liquor store. Limited selection but great prices. Cash only.

Dave

This is Not correct

While the Name is Cash and Carry you can still use credit and debit cards... I do that about once a month and use the New US style Super Market next door on a weekly basis.

Tags
shopping