Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59   #1

Boat: Catalina MKII, 42
TMM vs Moorings in the BVI ?

Hello - My family (including a 5 and 8 year old), along with another family are going to charter in the BVI this winter (February). We have chartered with Moorings several times but are thinking about using TMM Yacht Charters. Does anyone have any experience with TMM and would you recommend them over Moorings? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Alex Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 14:48   #2

During the past two years, we have bareboat chartered three different catamarans from TMM - Connections (Mahe 36), Pura Vida (Broadblue 385), and Hotel California (Salina 48). All three were in good condition and we only had minor issues with the boats. The staff at the base in Road Reef Marina was very pleasant and competent. We particularly liked Corinne in the office and Sam doing our boat checkouts. They arranged our ground transportation, gave us some extra towels, and were efficient at check-out. I have no problem recommending TMM. The online availability calendar by boat is very transparent and a great planning tool. My only suggestion is that you ask about specific equipment on the boat you want...would have liked to know, for example, that there was no electric winch for the main on a the Salina 48 we chartered, but the other Salina 48 did have one. i would have chosen the other boat if I had asked...that's a big main sail. No difference in the listed equipment on the web site (at least at that time) for the two Salinas. Some boats had an iPod jack in the stereo and others did not.

Hope that is helpful, enjoy your trip!
JustHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 16:07   #3

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
TMM vs Moorings

I used TMM in 1997 and Moorings in 2009. I was very happy with both of them, and would probably use which ever was best price for the boat you want to sail.

Now it has been some time since I used TMM, but with children the Moorings base probably offers more to do at either end of your charter. The Moorings is also easier walking distance to a market if you want to provision yourself, or add to your ordered provisions.

Moorings base is also a little closer to town.

Catamaran Company base is in a very nice marina with shops and restaurants.

Marshall
Old 16-10-2010, 15:55   #4

Boat: FP Athena 38
I live in the area and I know both companies. I would recommend TMM. They take alot of pride in thier boats.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 20:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I wouldn't charter with TMM if they were the last charter company in the BVI. JMHO, based upon a charter in Belize.

I would, however, charter with BVI Yacht Charters, or the Moorings. We've done about 10 VI charters, and BVI Yacht Charters would be at the top of our list, followed by the Moorings. I'd go elsewhere before chartering with TMM. BTW, I feel the same way about Sunsail. Again, just an opinion.

I judge companies by their response when real problems arise. Both The Moorings and BVI Yacht Charters went above and beyond the call of duty when needed.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 11:27   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
BVI Yacht Charters would be at the top of our list, followed by the Moorings. I'd go elsewhere before chartering with TMM. BTW, I feel the same way about Sunsail. Again, just an opinion.
You do know that Moorings, Sunsail, and Footloose are all owned by the same company?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 12:31   #7

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin
Charter Company recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You do know that Moorings, Sunsail, and Footloose are all owned by the same company?
...and operate out of the same base in Tortola, and share the same support staff?

BTW, thanks for the recommendation of BVI Charters--always nice to have options.

Marshall
Old 19-10-2010, 13:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearenitySail View Post
...and operate out of the same base in Tortola, and share the same support staff?
Of my problems with Sunsail, one was before the two were owned by the same company, and the second when they had different bases - and were run separately.

I still won't charter with Sunsail - just won't. They darn near ruined a vacation. Thankfully, BVI Yacht Charters was there to pick up the slack.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:08   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Having just returned today from a 10 day trip using the moorings, I can highly recommend them.

We had two issues. 1) The outdoor shower nozzle broke. 2) I came in a bit too fast picking up a mooring ball and the person grabbing it got the hook caught on the rigging and it bent. It snapped in half completely when he tried to bend it back.

Called service and they couldn't get someone to us that day, but said they could the next day and met us at Soper's hole at a time that was conveinent for us (we needed to grab a few more provisions, top off on water and fill up scuba tanks anyway). They arrived, replace the showed head and gave us a new boat hook - they were very quick and efficient. We also were not charged for the boat hook, something I was wondering about when we got home.

So we are VERY happy moorings customers. Only thing I'd recommend to save a few $$ is to book the time through an owner. That worked out great for us.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tortola marine management, British Virgin Islands, mooring