Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 16:35   #1

Tips on the Leeward Islands

We headed to the leewards in late June for seven nights, and plan to sail around St. Martin, St. Barts and Anguilla. Any tips on places to avoid or must-see would be most appreciated. Many, many thanks
badinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58   #2

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
You may want to consider taking a ferry from St. Martin to Anguilla. Cost to enter and cruise are very high and a day trip may suit your needs. Also for that time of year... you may want to consider having trip insurance!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
We did the same trip last year and I have to agree with RC. Anguilla has decided their very special to visit and if you choose to do so - it's going to cost you. The price may be relative depending on who's paying, but it's certainly way higher then it's neighbors. If you only have a week of charter, there are plenty of harbors around St. Marten and St. Barts. You could spend three days in Gustavia and be REALLY happy.

Anguilla Fee's
Tonnage - Period - Fee (EC$)

up to 5 tons - 1 day - 25
5 to 20 tons - 1 day - 100
over 20 tons - 1 day - 150

up to 5 tons - 1 week - 150
5 to 20 tons - 1 week - 600
over 20 tons - 1 week - 900
Old 06-03-2010, 10:58   #4

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
We're doing 11 days on a Moorings cat in May and are trying to do some planning also. Those fees don't sound too bad to me - did I read that right - $100 EC is about $37 US per day? Split between 8 folks I can't imagine that we could ferry over cheaper per person.
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I know it was a lot more than that when we where there. I checked noonsite and found this:
Cruising Permit fees: depends on tonnage and the duration of a visit, e.g. a boat from 5 to 20 tons for a week would pay EC$600 (EC$150 if under 5 tons). The permit can be obtained on arrival. It also counts as a clearance certificate and with it one need not check out with customs in order to leave Anguilla.

I don't think you have to pay it if you are there for only one day. We stayed two, one at Crokus Bay and one at Scrub island. I seem to remember it cost $250 for the two days.

If you have 11 days and four couples, your right, it's not a lot of money. There is a small bay just north of Crokus called Little Bay. You can use Google Earth to see some pictures. It was very nice. The coral was medium but the fish where great. We got surrounded by about a million small bait fish at one point. You couldn't see anything except the sun and fish.
Old 06-03-2010, 16:55   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
I havent been there yet but have been researching the costs of the different islands. I might be wrong but it seems from Anguillas rules that it is quite cheap just to anchor in Road Bay. You dont seem to need a cruising permit for that. If you want to cruise ANYWHERE else you need a cruising permit and the costs are as above. But I havent confirmed this.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 18:23   #7

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
sck5 is correct. If you anchor in Road Bay you do not need to purchase a cruising permit to visit the rest of Anguilla. It is a lovely island.
Anse de Colombier, St Barts is a must. Gustavia can be uncomfortable in any swell. There are also nice anchorages on the French side of St Maarten
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
St Barts, Leeward Islands, St Martin