Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:58   #1

SW Florida Restaurants w/tie-ups

In advance of my bareboat charter out of St. Pete down to the Keys in June, I'm compiling a list of restaurants that offer tie-ups to boaters. I will be collecting lat/long, depth, dockage description, dining experience and any other relevant data for each restaurant. This information will then be made freely available to the boating community. If you have info to share that would make the resource more useful to all, please contact me via email at:
saraburns2000 AT yahoo DOT com

If all goes well, I believe I might have found another interesting and productive hobby! Thanks!
GeoGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:35   #2

Boat: nothing
Try activecaptain.com
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 13:20   #3

Re: SW Florida Restaurants w/tie-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Try activecaptain.com
Yup, looked there and didn't see much. What I'm collecting is the type of information I'd like to see on a site such as that. If anyone knows of a restaurant, just give me the approximate location and anything else you know and I'll track down the rest. Thanks for your attention.
Old 08-05-2012, 13:46   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving

there are MANY from sunrise to miami,,,,,at least 50 that offer dockage
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 14:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
there are MANY from sunrise to miami,,,,,at least 50 that offer dockage
Thanks for that direction. I'll contact the Chambers of Commerce in those communities to find out names of specific restaurants. If there are any you think are especially notable one way or another (delicious food specialties, shallow dockage, etc.) it would be good to know.
Old 08-05-2012, 15:14   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Casey Key Fish House
Old 08-05-2012, 16:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Thanks, capngeo for the first entry into the database! I'll contact the folks at Casey Key Fish House for more details about the depth of their dockage. I'm also including a link to published reviews in the entry.

I'll be "thanking" everyone who contributes any specific info on a restaurant using the Thank You button so as not to clutter up the thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:35   #8
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Are you looking for any restaurant with a dock? Or restaurants that let you stay with a meal? The more north you go the more they want your business, and a meal buys you dockage. In FL its not often the case.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 16:53   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Are you looking for any restaurant with a dock? Or restaurants that let you stay with a meal? The more north you go the more they want your business, and a meal buys you dockage. In FL its not often the case.
I was wondering that too, free docking whilke u eat or are you looking for a restaraunt that lets you stay for free overnight?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 17:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I was wondering that too, free docking whilke u eat or are you looking for a restaraunt that lets you stay for free overnight?
RabidRabbit & Dulcesuenos - I'm actually looking for both - places to dock and eat and/or dock, eat and sleep. I'm building a database with all pertinent info that will eventually get pinned to an interactive chart and and made available on a list.

Someone already suggested Casey Key Fish House, so that's my first entry and am now hungry for their dinner specials! Thanks for your interest in the project.
Old 08-05-2012, 17:16   #11

Boat: Catalina 34

Laishley Crab House and Harpoon Harry's, both in Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor, each offer dockage.
Old 08-05-2012, 17:20   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Well I can help with CKFH.... The dockside depth is 5'MLW. There is no electric on the "long dock" which is the primary dock for the restaurant/tiki bar. Overnights are not typically offered per se, but if you spend all day spending money there, nobody will hassle you for staying the night. Weekends are usually very busy and often boats will wind up rafted off each other. If you want a slip with power/water, call 941-966-1901 and ask for Jimmy (owner)... if he has one that is not on a monthly rental, he will accommodate you for a fee..... BUT he makes a lot more money off boat drive-ups drinking at the tiki than he ever would "renting" a slip for a night, so don't expect him to take a low-ball offer.
Old 08-05-2012, 17:48   #13
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I have found that free dockage with a meal isn't such a usefull thing. For one you have to show up late, just before closing. They don't want to turn down other customers because your at the dock. Normally space is limited, so having a regular time dinner and just chillin on boat isn't cool. So your docked but leaving to do anything at all puts you in a weird spot. Maybe some places are ok, but its not a marina where you paid and can do whatever. I might be wrong but, I bet south FL has the least restaurants who do this. Busy places with big money customers want turnover on slips. Also any cool places will change policy quick after you publish a list and cheapsters show up constantly. It's not the great deal it seems to be. I stayed at Steel House in Kingston NY, 2 nights ago. Ribs were a little dry, empty dock, not advertised, and not in south FL.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 17:59   #14

We liked this place, right north of Key Largo. http://www.gilbertsresort.com/ . We weren't on a boat at the time, but there were several either docked or anchored out, and they have some marina services. The reviews of the place as a hotel are really bad, but it's got a pretty decent restaurant and a very nice Tiki bar area. As I said, we had fun there :-)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:10   #15

Boat: 58

Venice Yacht Club
Harpoon Harry's (Fisherman's Village)
Cabbage Key
Rum Runners (Cape Coral)
Nauti Mermaid (Cape Coral)
Snook In (Marco Island)

Anywhere in Key West (West Bight)

Ken