Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 14:08   #1

Surveyors in Martinique

Hi,

I'm looking for a surveyor in Martinique for a 40' catamaran. The broker suggested two, but I didn't find any mention of them in this forum, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them that could share.

The names are: Philippe Kerrault and Pierre Corriveaud.

Thank you very much!
billos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 14:51   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Surveyors in Martinique

Philippe is a CNEMP expert. Pierre is associated with A&C brokerage.

Unless your broker is A&C, use either.

Both are 100% competent and reliable.

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 14:11   #3

Great, thanks barnakiel! Do you have any personal experience with any of them? I would love to get an opinion from anyone who has.

Thanks!
Old 18-07-2020, 14:58   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I have personal experience with A&C brokers, where I was looking at a Swan boat. They are a 100% trustworthy entity, and one well established in Le Marin. There is at least one other major broker there and possibly some smaller business too.

Philippe I met briefly long time ago, on a private, non-business footing. A delightful person. I would not hesitate to do any business with him.

As A&C main business is at Le Marin, which coincides with vast, hundreds-strong catamaran charter bases, Pierre may/will have extensive experience in surveying cats. He may also know the boat you are looking at from his earlier experience. Many boats come and go on the market many times.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:05   #5

I used Bastien Saint-Jours (saintjoursexpertmaritime.com) in 2017 to survey a cat in Martinique that I ended up purchasing and was very happy with both his responsiveness and the survey.
A&C was the broker (Bastien wasn't referred through them and I don't think he has any association with them) for the seller and I was very happy with them as well. There was some extra paperwork required from the seller to deflag the vessel from France so I could flag it in the U.S. and A&C was very helpful in getting that all done mostly remotely, as well as setting up everything for a sea trial when I arrived and coordinating with the yard to get the boat in the water both for the sea trial and when I picked up the boat.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 13:22   #6

Thanks redneckrob! It seems that Bastien moved to France... I reached out but got no response.
Old 23-07-2020, 16:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billos View Post
Thanks redneckrob! It seems that Bastien moved to France... I reached out but got no response.
That's too bad, I guess I'll have to stop recommending him then!

BTW I think they like to say "back to mainland France" in Martinique, they're quite proud that they are France.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 00:05   #8

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Just used Pierre for a Catamaran. I was impressed with his very detailed knowledge.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 12:49   #9

Boat: Hanse 445 44’

I am bumping this older thread to see if anyone could comment on a reputable surveyor in Martinique. Either the ones mentioned above, or if anyone has another recommendation.

Hoping to close on a new (to me) boat by end of January!
stulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 12:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
I am bumping this older thread to see if anyone could comment on a reputable surveyor in Martinique. Either the ones mentioned above, or if anyone has another recommendation.

Hoping to close on a new (to me) boat by end of January!
Here also,

We are also looking for a suveyor for our new boat in Martinique. This must take place in the second half of January 2021. Pierre Corrivead was tipped to us. I do wonder if it is smart to get a surveyor who is in some way linked to the brooker. Depending on the Covid situation in Europe, we want to be present during the survey itself.
Bolle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 12:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The safest thing to do is to find a good surveyor in FL and fly them in. Since they are off-island, they will be free of any influence.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 13:02   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The safest thing to do is to find a good surveyor in FL and fly them in. Since they are off-island, they will be free of any influence.
I make the same recommendation often...though almost no one does it. I think its true anywhere...the local surveyors usually have a long term working relationship w the local brokers which is their bread and butter...buyers/sellers come and go.

The cost of airfare on a big purchase is negligible compared to what big boat problems could cost the Buyer.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:25   #13

Good suggestion on off-island surveyor, but with COVID that is a virtual impossibility right now in Martinique as all international travel is banned. Even with French citizenship and European passport the quarantine timetable there requires pre and post flight PCR tests, then you are out of pocket for payment, room and board for the surveyor for at least 4 additional days at an approved location.

I’d fly there myself if I could to oversee the survey, but reasons above.

I have been in touch with Pierre Corriveaud who seems well qualified. He is sending me some sample surveys for review as well. $90€/Meter is his fee.

Our plan is to have the seller deliver the boat outside of Martinique assuming the survey goes well before final acceptance in a location we can actually get to.
Old 01-01-2021, 13:03   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stulk75 View Post
Good suggestion on off-island surveyor, but with COVID that is a virtual impossibility right now in Martinique as all international travel is banned. Even with French citizenship and European passport the quarantine timetable there requires pre and post flight PCR tests, then you are out of pocket for payment, room and board for the surveyor for at least 4 additional days at an approved location.

I’d fly there myself if I could to oversee the survey, but reasons above.

I have been in touch with Pierre Corriveaud who seems well qualified. He is sending me some sample surveys for review as well. $90€/Meter is his fee.

Our plan is to have the seller deliver the boat outside of Martinique assuming the survey goes well before final acceptance in a location we can actually get to.

Are buying this boat sight unseen and with an unknown surveyor?

If that is the case, you are a rather trusting person!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Are buying this boat sight unseen and with an unknown surveyor?

If that is the case, you are a rather trusting person!
Well, sort of. We did an exhaustive video walk through (2 hours) and and had hi res photos taken of all the key components and any areas of concern. Then reference checks and Googlefu.

The boat has to be delivered (Martinique to Sint Maarten) subsequent to the survey and then we do our sea trial in person prior to acceptance. If it doesn’t fall apart on the delivery, then I think we will be in good shape.

Life is a risk...it’s just how you mitigate it!

Tags
Martinique, survey, surveyor