Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33   #16

Boat: Hunter 39
CYOA charters in the USVI were fantastic

We charted with CYOA in November and found the boats in great shape, the staff also take the time to properly check out the boat before you depart. You can arrange to have the boat provisioned which I recommend the person they use is very good.

CYOA uniquely has a wide range of Hunters. We chartered the 49 and 45 and found both to be excellent boats, room, good sailing performance and powerful engine should you need it. Both also has generators and AC which was nice on the warm nights.
39_n_holding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010, 18:26   #17

Stay away from TMM.
We chartered the Shauna Raye out of Tortola a few months ago. The yacht took on water 3 days in. TMM took the boat from us with our luggage on board and left us at the island were on. Amazingly, they said we hit something and kept our money for the rest of the days we were supposed has the yacht still. I've never seen anything like this in my life. This was on top many other things. We are currently seeking legal help to get our money back. We took pictures of everything and have proof it was poor maintenance. I am writing this everywhere on the internet hoping the same thing doesn't happen to someone else.
jonchimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47   #18

Re: CYOA charters in the USVI were fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39_n_holding View Post
We charted with CYOA in November and found the boats in great shape, the staff also take the time to properly check out the boat before you depart. You can arrange to have the boat provisioned which I recommend the person they use is very good.

CYOA uniquely has a wide range of Hunters. We chartered the 49 and 45 and found both to be excellent boats, room, good sailing performance and powerful engine should you need it. Both also has generators and AC which was nice on the warm nights.
I realize this is an older thread, but I am looking to do a charter in the Virgin Islands. CYOA looks to be very competitive with the other top names. But they are on St. Thomas. The good news is that flights are much cheaper and more direct from Boston where I am. The bad news, perhaps, is that it will take longer to get to Tortola and Virgin Gorda which I want to visit. I'm also not sure I am as interested in visiting St. Thomas. And I think the only way I can make this work with my wife is to include some beach resort time, not just sailing.

Thoughts?
remydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:40   #19

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydog View Post
I realize this is an older thread, but I am looking to do a charter in the Virgin Islands. CYOA looks to be very competitive with the other top names. But they are on St. Thomas. The good news is that flights are much cheaper and more direct from Boston where I am. The bad news, perhaps, is that it will take longer to get to Tortola and Virgin Gorda which I want to visit. I'm also not sure I am as interested in visiting St. Thomas. And I think the only way I can make this work with my wife is to include some beach resort time, not just sailing.

Thoughts?

https://m.facebook.com/LongBayBVI/
And rent from horizon
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:12   #20

Re: Sunsail vs BVI Yacht Charter vs Moorings in BVI

Don't forget that if you sail from the USVI to the BVI you have to do the check-in/check-out/check-back-in dance. Not that it's a big deal, but it does mean knowing the customs process, and spending some time in line and filling out forms.

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristjan View Post
Kristjan, was there something you meant to say about this? Not sure why you sent it.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Don't forget that if you sail from the USVI to the BVI you have to do the check-in/check-out/check-back-in dance. Not that it's a big deal, but it does mean knowing the customs process, and spending some time in line and filling out forms.

Good luck, whatever you do.
Thank you. Yes, I am aware, but the time needed for that is far less than the layover to get from Boston to Tortola by air. Direct fights to St. Thomas are available and far less than the flights to Tortola, which is why I am considering this option.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:39   #23

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Push the Easy button: Fly to STT, take taxi to docks, take ferry to Tortola (we usually use Smiths)
On return trip take ferry day before your flight and grab a room at one of the small hotels in St Thomas
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Push the Easy button: Fly to STT, take taxi to docks, take ferry to Tortola (we usually use Smiths)
On return trip take ferry day before your flight and grab a room at one of the small hotels in St Thomas
Only bad part is the lines, You area group of 100 - 200 people. The ferry terminal is crowded, standing around waiting, customs, immigration , boarding, then getting a cab at ferry terminal, I would prefer to be anchored in Sopers Hole sipping on a drink while captain dinghies over to customs with passports to check everybody in, no lines to wait in even for captain because they are not processing 200 people at same time. I’ve done it both ways. Also if you start in St Thomas it is handy to spend some time in and around St. John before heading over to clear in at Tortola, you’ll go right by it on your way.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
Only bad part is the lines, You area group of 100 - 200 people. The ferry terminal is crowded, standing around waiting, customs, immigration , boarding, then getting a cab at ferry terminal, I would prefer to be anchored in Sopers Hole sipping on a drink while captain dinghies over to customs with passports to check everybody in, no lines to wait in even for captain because they are not processing 200 people at same time. I’ve done it both ways. Also if you start in St Thomas it is handy to spend some time in and around St. John before heading over to clear in at Tortola, you’ll go right by it on your way.
Exactly what the CYOA folks told me to do.
Old 14-09-2019, 20:18   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by remydog View Post
Kristjan, was there something you meant to say about this? Not sure why you sent it.

Yep, it’s a great beach resort in Tortola, and worth checking out. I was a charter skipper in BVI for several years full time, many of my guests stayed there before or after charters and spoke very well of it (pre hurricanes, so not sure their status) and if you’re going to rent a first tier boat, Horizon is the only company I’d recommend.
Old 15-09-2019, 08:24   #27

Quote:
Yep, it’s a great beach resort in Tortola, and worth checking out. I was a charter skipper in BVI for several years full time, many of my guests stayed there before or after charters and spoke very well of it (pre hurricanes, so not sure their status) and if you’re going to rent a first tier boat, Horizon is the only company I’d recommend.
Long Bay took some serious damage from hurricanes, it's been sold and is undergoing major renovation, and is not yet open.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 13:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
Long Bay took some serious damage from hurricanes, it's been sold and is undergoing major renovation, and is not yet open.

Too bad
Old 16-09-2019, 05:53   #29

Quote:
Kristjian,

I contacted the resort (or tried to) and I am told it was destroyed two years ago by the hurricane. Any other suggestions for places like this?

Tags
British Virgin Islands