Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 07:55   #31

Boat: Westsail 32
liveaboard in Georgia

For many years we had a liveaboard next to our boat and in other spots in a couple of marinas here in Georgia and even though they tended to be on the seedy side I can tell you first hand that they were NEVER hassled about living there full time.
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 09:26   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
funny how topm petty's old band is in kali--inn sin diego-- so is his home--in lemon grove-- when did he live in fla?? is a kalifornikator!!!! (i used to live with his old drummer and took his old rhythm guitarist to gigs when he wad dying if brain cancer...)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 10:47   #33

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
For those of you interested in the Georgia law prohibiting staying aboard your boat more than 30 days a year there was an extensive discussion of it in a thread last year in the liveaboard forum entitled "More Georgia Law" and the Georgia statute is O.C.G.A. § 12-5-288(b)(8) which you can google. There is a Georgia Attorney General's opinion online that states that a liveaboard is essentially any description of vessel you can name that one can sleep aboard including pets, so even if the human does not spend the night if you leave your cat on board overnight it counts as one of your 30 live aboard days. Also living aboard includes anchored, moored, tied to a dock, or on the hard.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 11:24   #34

What other anchorages on the Georgia coast do y'all reco
mend? Thx cv
cvondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 12:24   #35

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
I think the ICW through Georgia and South Carolina is some of the most beautiful cruising in the Eastern U.S. And unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately), a lot of people pass it by and sail offshore for that leg.

The beautiful anchorages are too numerous to count. Cruiser's Net has lots of them, but there are many others that aren't written up anywhere. Most of the time, insects are not a problem at all. But make sure you have adequate mosquito netting or screens, because when they do come, holy cow!

My current favorite is Price's Inlet just north of Charleston. You can go for a walk on the beach on Bull Island, which is even more fabulous than Cumberland Island (which is as fabulous as everyone else here says it is). Price's can get crowded with locals during the day on summer weekends, but is deserted in the evenings or most of the rest of the year.

And the Wacamaw River in South Carolina (which has several great anchorages) is simply magic.

A few favorites in Georgia over the years: Big Tom Creek, Walburg Creek, and the Brickhill River and Dungeness at Cumberland Island.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 12:54   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Yes, I second all that Florida's become. Sad how the contractors have moved in and blocked out the sun and the sea. I miss the old Florida. One area that hasn't been overgrown yet is Apalachicola, but it's at the mouth of a river, so you don't get the beautiful azure blue water colors there that you do in overpopulated areas like Destin and Panama City. Destin has become a very sad place. Full of immigrants and high rises. The harbor used to be so beautiful, now it's concrete with developers fighting over every inch of sand. The feel of the town is like living in an excluse suburb of a big city somewhere. I miss the 80's there. Oh well, sigh.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:01   #37

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Somehow this thread struck a cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
I think the ICW through Georgia and South Carolina is some of the most beautiful cruising in the Eastern U.S. And unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately), a lot of people pass it by and sail offshore for that leg.

The beautiful anchorages are too numerous to count. Cruiser's Net has lots of them, but there are many others that aren't written up anywhere. Most of the time, insects are not a problem at all. But make sure you have adequate mosquito netting or screens, because when they do come, holy cow!

My current favorite is Price's Inlet just north of Charleston. You can go for a walk on the beach on Bull Island, which is even more fabulous than Cumberland Island (which is as fabulous as everyone else here says it is). Price's can get crowded with locals during the day on summer weekends, but is deserted in the evenings or most of the rest of the year.

And the Wacamaw River in South Carolina (which has several great anchorages) is simply magic.

A few favorites in Georgia over the years: Big Tom Creek, Walburg Creek, and the Brickhill River and Dungeness at Cumberland Island.
Yes, I'm negotiating on a boat in the Northeast right now. If all this comes together I plan to take it to the BVI in March. I will make a side trip and stop by Georgia on the way. I lived there from 1982 to 2005 and enjoyed the coast there everytime we went.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:38   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
only 30 days per month!?? does that include cruisers from other ares as well?? sounds like they dont like the income from cruising sailors??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote