Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 03:31   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
yachts leave keys hidden in lockers for the crew to use when coming home drunk,,, I know from experience,,,
LOL

.........and folk wonder why these things happen Next time those folks could maybe stack all the goodies on the dock, would save getting their sleep disturbed
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 03:44   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
yachts leave keys hidden in lockers for the crew to use when coming home drunk,,, I know from experience,,,
Save pennies to lose $'s.... would it not have been easier for each crew member to have a key... 5 keys aint that expensive...
Of course your watched... rich boat why would'nt you be

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 03:47   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey DOJ... whats this green bar thingy... we just become 'Political' or summat... a GP & CF Coalition to take over and rule The World....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 04:28   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey DOJ... whats this green bar thingy... we just become 'Political' or summat... a GP & CF Coalition to take over and rule The World....
Not sure - not everyone has one I think it's kinda like the black spot. except green

I guess some folks just like sticking labels on others

Kinda reminds me of my (brief ) time at Royal Bank of Canada, word came around that the black (etc), gay, disabled (and whatever elses) were to either wear a badge or have one affixed to their chair - stating "what" they were - the intention was to raise awareness as part of some global Diversity initiative (and for the benefit of anyone who gave a sh#t, and hadn't yet noticed that Hop along Bob was as black as the ace of spades. and had a most excellent beard - for a woman ).

By the time the message got to this part of the world, it had changed to being compulsory to wear an identifying badge. and you had to pick one to be I have no idea how all that got helped along I think the final straw was querying why ethnic Jerseymen were being "discriminated" against by not being on the list of approved Diversities...........was it because we are a minority? even in Jersey

As I said, wasn't there long
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 04:39   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Save pennies to lose $'s.... would it not have been easier for each crew member to have a key... 5 keys aint that expensive...

In most cases locking a boat is like locking the car doors on a convertible.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 05:04   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57
After reading the story I think that it might indeed have been in this marina. The reason I stated that it couldn't be that marina is that there are only small powerboats winched above the water there and 2 large yachts lying alongside the dock. Access via water might be possible for one of them and the swim would only be about 50 feet from the airport access road. The dock has no video, but there is a sporadic beat of a security guard with a trained dog so access and egress would be easier via the dock (and stolen electronics tend to have very little fencing/resale value after a swim).
Old 26-01-2011, 06:51   #37

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Here are the problems with the yacht keys,,, most of the locks and keys are from europe and VERY expensive,,, it makes more since to have keyless entry instead of trying to keep getting keys cut for crew members,,,,, if a yacht goes through 10 crew in a season, NOT a year you get the picture of what happens when a crew member "looses" a key,,,,, keyless is the way to go,,, I was next to a mega yacht 173 footer that got broken into in saint thomas,,,, the 3 stewardess were out drinking with several locals,,,,, 3 locals thought it would be fun to see what the inside of the yacht looked like at 4am,,,, they sat around drinking champagne,,, had sex in a guest room, and left with several statues at 6am trying to sell them on the dock,,,, locals were never charged but were caught and let go,,,, When asked why they were let go the police told the captain that since you do not lock you doors at night it was pretty much your fault,,, when the captain complained the police said that one of the stewardess told the police that there were NO keys to lock the boat. end of argument,,, locksmith came that day and everybody got keys,,

how can you have a 173 foot mega yacht that you can not lock up at night because nobody has any keys for it
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 04:36   #38

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
Quote:
Its OK.... its bash St Martin week.... happens regularly when I've been there...
Especially 'French Side'.... no US interests there...LMAO
Boatman, we're not... I'm not bashing sxm. I love this island, and I go there often. Je ne m'en prends pas plus aux français non plus. In fact, I got robbed, twice, once on the French side and once on the Dutch side. On the French side at least the police made me file a report. On the Dutch side they were too busy! They just don't care about thefts, I guess it's too common.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:11   #39

Quote:
.... keep getting keys cut for crew members,,,,, if a yacht goes through 10 crew in a season, NOT a year you get the picture of what happens when a crew member "looses" a key...
So, explain the cost of keys and require a cash deposit for the key that covers the cost of getting a new key. They get the cash back when you get the key back.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:13   #40

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Maybe some porcupine pelts would be cheaper.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 07:34   #41

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
This is what I use. It'll blow your ears out at close range. I install it just below the winch level. So anyone popping their head above the cockpit to see gets blasted.

Marine Technologies Boat Intruder Alarm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intrudem.gif
Views:	151
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	23167  
Old 27-01-2011, 08:33   #42

Boat: private yacht always moving
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
So, explain the cost of keys and require a cash deposit for the key that covers the cost of getting a new key. They get the cash back when you get the key back.
Not the cost of keys but ALL the crew members having keys that NEVER get returned and get used one night because they feel they got a bad deal or the key gets sold to a security guard in a saint marteen marina
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 16:26   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Not the cost of keys but ALL the crew members having keys that NEVER get returned and get used one night because they feel they got a bad deal or the key gets sold to a security guard in a saint marteen marina

Heh!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 15:14   #44

Boat: McKinna 48 " Black Tie"
Not bashing

the intent of this post was not bashing. I happen to know the boat, its not a bogus claim, sorry like the other person said, cruisers networks are sometimes very lax in reporting things, and that happens everywhere as well as the local watering hole might not have all the latest info. . My point was to make persons aware. we had several instances of this in Nassau, "the swimmer" broke into my friends 110' got a nice watch, broke into another and got an undeclared gun, broke into a 44 ft sundeck trawler whilst the owner was sleeping and took everything. that boat was 2 boats from us. the only reason he didnt break into us, is that its almost impossible. That was the point. the "swimmer was eventually caught" after six months and yes experienced thieves can put electronics into plastic bags stuffed into shorts pockets and come home with dry booty so to speak.
if you really want to know the name of the boat, email me privately and I will let you know.
bahamasyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 05:20   #45

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
More sxm issues

Photos from Le pti coup de main DEMANDES | Facebook

Tags
piracy, yacht