Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 07:50   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
St Lucie River Pollution Problems

see:
WPEC-TV CBS12 News :: News - Top Stories - St. Lucie River conditions worsen: Salinity levels close to zero at inlet

Summary is all the polluted water from farmland in the middle of the state drain in Lake Okeechobee and with all the rain, they have to dump it into rivers at such a rate it's destroying everything. Nice....
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 08:41   #2

Re: St Lucie river pollution problems

Horrible, blame the farmers? Blame the rain? Or blame ourselves?

Small Is Beautiful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 08:44   #3

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 25'
This is just awful!
BareFtGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 09:01   #4

Re: St Lucie river pollution problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
Horrible, blame the farmers? Blame the rain? Or blame ourselves?

Small Is Beautiful - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They need to recycle the water, this would save them a lot of fertilizer since the runoff water clearly has more than it's share, shouldn't be that hard to redirect runoff into holding ponds (most modern golf courses do this to save water and prevent pollution).
Tom
Old 21-08-2013, 09:41   #5

Boat: gemini 3200
Re: St Lucie River Pollution Problems

We are seeing the same mess on the west coast from the Caloosahatchee. The tides are higher and on our canal, the water is so dark you can no longer see the bottom.

-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 09:49   #6

It's the same everywhere. When things build up, there is a tendency to just dump it in the sea. It's kinda like sweeping dust under a rug, out of sight out of mind. It pisses me off. The Japanesse Nuke plant is doing the same thing, all municipalities on the water wash everything off the roads, lots etc into the sea with no treatment. It's amazing how resilent the sea has been. The farmers are sold "round-up ready" seed and it gives them better production. It cant go on forever. The only solution is reducing population...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:05   #7

Oh, no, it's ALL THE BOATERS DAMNED FAULT. Them and their insidious bottom paint and dumping all their raw sewage into the ocean!!!! How dare they anchor out and spil my tremendous $4 million dollar view!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 10:17   #8

Yep.... not the millions of tons of chemicals they call fertilizer, or the oil and grime off the "paved paradise", or the raw sewage the municipalities dump into the bay when it rains too hard for them to keep up.... it's those damn rich boaters!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 02:55   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It cant go on forever. The only solution is reducing population...
No, they could build some holding ponds and recycle the water...its not rocket science, and it's not that expensive, not buying just 1 of these will be enough money to pay for it 10x over: Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom
Old 23-08-2013, 03:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Even worse, the giant dead zone on the Gulf coast around the mouth of the Mississippi. All this is really scary.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:43   #11

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
No, they could build some holding ponds and recycle the water...its not rocket science, and it's not that expensive, not buying just 1 of these will be enough money to pay for it 10x over: Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tom
Tom: nothing personal (really), but while this sounds like a good idea, Lake Okeechobee (which represents the cause of this problem, in the form of release of excess dammed water to control flooding) IS a holding pond, not in its natural state, of course, but certainly in its current state, courtesy of the Army Core of Engineers, driven by developers, driven by profit, driven by demand... Making it bigger, or building ancillary holding ponds, doesn't fix the problem, it just delays the outcome and causes a new problem (the loss of natural habitat associated with excavating and flooding the relevant land). Regardless of how many F35s or B1s or whatever you divert to cover the cost, holding ponds are the problem, not the solution. Before the Everglades and the South Florida aquifer were controlled by man (that means us), freshwater discharge into the St Lucie River and all other tributaries worked just fine.

To paraphrase a friend of mine, who said it quite eloquently in a different context: "No matter how smart you think you are, you'll never be as smart as (nature)." What would be nice would be that, going forward, we could learn from our past mistakes. But I don't think so. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 13:46   #12

Dr Jeff Masters on the subject:
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : The Battle to Draw Down Lake Okeechobee | Weather Underground
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 14:13   #13

Excessive releases may be a bad thing, but a dam break is much worse.

I see the big spike on that water level chart from Hurricane Issac, which I think was actually still tropical storm Issac when it passed over that area. I remember that Tropical Storm Issac dumped about 15" of rain on the town of Wellington in a single day & left parts of that town flooded for a month. I don't think that it is unreasonable for the corps to adjust water levels in the lake so that the dam can tolerate another event of that type. Those sorts of things do happen in South Florida.

Better planning for the future does seem to be needed.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 22:03   #14

Not just the farmers, Florida is one of the top Phosphate miners in the US... search Youtube for The Greatest Culling for an interesting documentary on it. It focuses on Floridation of water, but around the 20-30min mark it discusses the Florida phosphate mining and its impact.
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 22:36   #15

Boat: westerly centaur 26

Dead Ocean but you should see the nice green golf courses we have in Florida! Instead of getting real about our pollution problems our Gov is only worried about lobbyists and special interests, and who do you think they are? If you guessed the polluters you guessed right.
dave c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll