Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 06:56   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 38
St Croix to St Maarten Passage

We are planning on sailing from St Croix to St Maarten the first week in September and other then watching out for tropical storms and the "H" word, I was hoping to get some advice on this trek.
We have sailed to the BVIs and St John from St Croix, but have never made the passage to St Maarten. We have been told that it is best to sail to Anegada or Virgin Gorda and then sail down to St Maarten to try to get more of a reach out of NE winds. However, I looked at windforecasts for September and it indicates that winds typically come from the SE for that time of year, which would mean that we would be better off sailing directly from St Croix to St Marteen.
Has anyone made this passage or can anyone provide some advice and point me in the right direction (literally)
lgaggie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 07:15   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have always done the Anegada Passage from Virgin Gorda and ended up having to fall off south to hold the wind. A couple of years ago while visiting friends in St. Croix we all decided to go direct to St Martin (French side). I was pleasantly surprised to find I could hold a wind line and make better time. Whole passage was only an hour more than my previous passages despite the route being 17nm longer. The rhumb line is 32 degrees less than the Virgin Gorda rhumb line. The difference meant I could sail at maximum speed versus having to fall off all the time at a much lower speed.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:18   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thanks, for the info. Was it a rough trip (waves & wind), and about how long was the trip?
lgaggie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 05:32   #4

Boat: Boatless
Just sail the best course to windward that points nearest to St Martin. There is usually a 1/2+ knot current from east to west. Had 5-6 ft seas last time we sailed to St Martin.

Since you are doing it in hurricane season you need to decide what you would do in St Martin if a storm came while you were there. I have 3 big anchors and lots of chain, rode and anti-chafe gear. Simpson Lagoon is more famous for the loss of 800+ boats in one storm than it is for its holding. I suspect that if you were anchored safely that all the semi-derelicts would break loose and destroy your boat

Hurricane Holes
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 06:55   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
From St Croix to Marigot, St Martin was 14 hours actual time. Here are some screen capture photos of the actual tracks including one from Virgin Gorda. The winds were from the southeast 10-15 kts and seas where virtually flat, maybe 1 to 3 feet. I always am willing to wait for a "perfect window" and then head out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrackStCroixStMarin3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	9423   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrackStCroixStMartin1.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	9424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TrackStCroixStMarin2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	9425  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 07:32   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I've travelled from the BVIs to St. Maarten many times but never been able to lay the island on one tack. It usually takes us about 12 hours. At night, in season, there will be mutiple cruise ships and tankers along the route, going both ways to watch out for. The cruise ships are easy to see as they are all lit up. The current is slightly against you. I usually look for a good weather window with the wind more North than usual to make the trip. It can be rough particulary if the wind is more South.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 08:34   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36 Cat
If you are not in a time sensitive passage you will get a good wind and weather wind of 2 days at least once per month this time of year.
It usually comes the day after we arrive!!
More often it is just easier to motor into the wind and waves, soul destroying for your selves and your sails but it is either that or sail as close to the wind and put in a few tacks like real sailors(those without engine, or plenty of time to spare) do.
Good luck and say hi to Tamara at Ricks Place, by the Dutch bridge for us.
Mark n Lee SV Manatee
mandlmaunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42   #8

Boat: lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrine33
Re: St Croix to St Maarten Passage

I would like to do this passage, begining of April 2011 from virgin gorda, any advice or buddy boats welcome.
kat
45ft hunter
kathrine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

Last time we went from BVI to Sint Maarten, there was some north in the wind. We sailed north of Anegada, tacked and managed to sail the whole trip and lay the island.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03   #10

Usually a motor sail unless you are a purist. If you have time wait for the trades to get some north in them or at least wait for lighter winds.

If you start watching PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers you will see how the trades vary from advantageous to 'in your face'.

Enjoy

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 12-03-2011, 05:36   #11

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Generally the trade winds drop off the last week of August.. although this has been fairly random the last two or three years.... However September is one of the calmest wind timeframes of the year... so you should be able to find a great weather window. Of course watch your Hurricane forecasts but there will be plenty of beautiful sailing days in Sept.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46   #12

Boat: lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrine33

september sounds great, but I've to be in trinadad before 1st June for insurance. Is it still safe there??????????????/
kathrine33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:52   #13

Kat... they call the passage there the "I'm never gonna get there passage" instead of the Annegada passage.... If the trades are blowing and theres swell it can be some of the nastiest passages in the islands...... However.. if you can wait till theres a little north in the wind and not too much swell it can also be a beautiful sail.......I've had it go both was.. most beautiful sail and most scary..... If you are headding for trini.. just point off on a comfortable [point of sail down island and off you go.... Guadeloupe or MArtinique..... then south. I Wouldn't let my friends walk around Trini on their own.... Not too sure if I'd call it " safe".....!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:58   #14

Trinidad is a place of mixed blessings. Safe from hurricanes but security is getting worse. Be sure to takes Jessie James's tours he is great. The turtle beach tour was one of our most marvelous experiences in 3 yrs of cruising!

The Caribbean Safety Net most recent

Shows 33 incidents in an 8 month period of 2010, mostly dinghies and engines.

We spent 3 months and Crews Inn 2-3 yrs ago and felt safe but the above report shows 5 incidents there with 2 forced entries.

There have been boat invasions at sea between Grenada and Trinidad. We did the trip well to the east of Venezuela and I am told by friends that they are now buddy boating for that leg.

We will NEVER return and we now pay an extra insurance premium and spend hurricane season in the ABC's. The extra $900 is money well spent.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 12-03-2011, 06:01   #15

Did you mean safe like.... your boat wont get thrashed by hurricanes? Or safe like you wont get thrashed by muggers?

Tags
St Martin